Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Merry Widow

Play Halflife in Windows 10?

I'm sure this has been asked before but is there away to play Halflife original and Blue Shift as well? A friend gave me the 2  original disks recently. I've tried several ways already, but they didn't work. Thank you in advance!

You should be able to plug the CD keys for those games into Steam. As far as I understand it the Steam versions of Half-Life and Blue Shift run normally on Windows 10.

If for some reason those keys don't work in Steam (perhaps they've been claimed already?), you can buy Half-Life and Blue Shift on Steam right now for $0.99 and $0.49 USD respectively.

Thank you for your help, but I no longer use steam. Bought a Halflife from them years ago, but they claimed I didn't and kept trying to charge me for it. Never again. Thanks anyway.

You could try to install the source port Xash3D, and use the files of the CD's to run the game without buying again from steam.

Even if the price rigth now are like 1$

I really don't think you can. I could try to find my original disc, but it required Sierra's World Opponent Network, or WON to activate the game. Once Steam launched, I was able to put my CD key from WON in and activate the original game and Opposing Force.

I think at this point, Half-Life is permanently attached to Steam, even original copies, due to the keys that Sierra assigned to them. I could be completely wrong, but I haven't used my original install discs since Steam came out; and I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with Steam. I've been using it since 2004 and I've never had any issues with it, but it might be your only choice if you want to play a legitimate copy of Half-Life.

41 minutes ago, Jello said:

I really don't think you can. I could try to find my original disc, but it required Sierra's World Opponent Network, or WON to activate the game. Once Steam launched, I was able to put my CD key from WON in and activate the original game and Opposing Force.

I think at this point, Half-Life is permanently attached to Steam, even original copies, due to the keys that Sierra assigned to them. I could be completely wrong, but I haven't used my original install discs since Steam came out; and I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with Steam. I've been using it since 2004 and I've never had any issues with it, but it might be your only choice if you want to play a legitimate copy of Half-Life.

I bought my copy of Half-Life in retail around 2000 or so and first played the game without having Steam installed. But the second time around, as many many years elapsed and Steam became what it is, I read that old serial keys to Half-Life could be used to activate the game in digital form.

So I entered my old Half-Life serial key through Steam's activation process... and it worked. To my surprise, my old serial was also eligible to get me about every HL related game of the time as well. So my purchase of way long ago got me Half-Life on Steam, but also Opposing Force, Blue Shift, Team Fortress Classic and some game called Ricochet. 

Essentially, the easiest way to play Half-Life is to install Steam. You shouldn't have to do anything special to run the game on a modern OS, I played it some time ago on Windows 7 and it was a snap.

Maybe the PCGamingWiki could help you to get it running:

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Half-Life

I was playing recently the original Half-Life, because I wanted to try Counter-Strike as a HL mod.

I wondered that HL1 had for example hea whobbing (or however you call it), which is abscent from the Steam version. Why? Can it be added back?

Also the main menu is different and somehow more atmospheric than in the steam version.

I have somehow the feeling, that the original disc Half-Life is more interesting than the steam version.

Edit: So yes, I can confirm that I played original HL1 on Win10 and it worked with no issues.

Edited by Kyle07