Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CatWithAComputer

Brownlust: A single level wad.

Welcome to brownlust.                                                                                                    

[INFO]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------//------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello again people, i present you this single level wad, my first boom map.

This map has only gray and brown textures.

Tested Source ports :

Spoiler

Prboom+, Glboom+, Woof!, DSDA-Doom,Odamex, ZDaemon,ZDoom and GZDoom.

Target Source ports: PrBoom+ GlBoom+

IWAD:DOOM2.WAD

Filename:needsmorebrownxx.wad

[DOWNLOAD ZONE]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------//-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Initial release

needsmorebrown.rar

V 0.1

needsmorebrown1.rar

V 0.2 

Lost x.x

V 0.2.1

needsmorebrown2.rar

V 2.5 (OLD)
needsmorebrown2-5.rar
Info: I'm back, Very small update, adds some details and replaces the exit.

V 2.5

needsmorebrown2-5.rar

[VIDEOS/SCREENSHOTS]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------//------------------------------------------------------------------------

Screenshots

Spoiler

1926551302_Capturadepantalla(275).png.3f9e9a24b94107455ed38388a8859d2c.png98210647_Capturadepantalla(276).png.de1b2054ea2969c0d808063848e037c1.png1743012575_Capturadepantalla(277).png.c54f7f75077e8c55e1726cabb4a2b5c3.png1623738404_Capturadepantalla(278).png.7c34b21ad5373c63b9ea5fbdbe43d64f.png765002570_Capturadepantalla(279).png.c6c6378cbb3a2838293751e9bdea93d8.png536651260_Capturadepantalla(280).png.f5ad7739638c6762bd215334e31be80d.png2125577871_Capturadepantalla(281).png.d02fdd703823c372b573abd9368283d5.png

Videos

Spoiler

[DEMOS]

NoisyVelvet

Recorded in Prboom+ 2.5.1.3 (complevel 2)

noisy_needsmorebrown.zip

[THANKS FOR PLAYING]

Edited by CatWithAComputer : Update idk

You have quite a few misaligned textures

I would make one suggestion to improve the combat in your maps, do not simply make room with a single type of monster at a time, for exemple the fight with the two hell knights woukld have been more fun if the specter in the next room would have joined the fight. mixing monsters create much more dynamic fights.

13 hours ago, Delisk said:

You have quite a few misaligned textures

I would make one suggestion to improve the combat in your maps, do not simply make room with a single type of monster at a time, for exemple the fight with the two hell knights woukld have been more fun if the specter in the next room would have joined the fight. mixing monsters create much more dynamic fights.

Nice idea, but the specters would infight hell knights almost inmediately, and i don't want the player to stay there waiting for the monsters to kill into themselves.

This map is definitely an improvement on previous maps in terms of lighting, height variation, and texture work.

2 hours ago, CatWithAComputer said:

Nice idea, but the specters would infight hell knights almost inmediately, and i don't want the player to stay there waiting for the monsters to kill into themselves.

It's up to the players to decide how much they want to kill monsters or how much infighting they want to provoke.  Single monster type encounters can get tiresome because the strategy to defeat the monster is the same, and adding more only makes it take longer.

If the mapper really, really doesn't want players to run around and let monsters kill each other, then there are some ways to do that.

- Give the players other monsters on the outside to worry about, so they have to think about being attacked from more than one side. Monsters on turrets or in cages which cannot approach the player can serve that purpose. Another way is to put small pits > 25 units lower than the floor which are too small for the player to fall into, but ground-based monsters won't step across them.

- A high amount of monsters crowds the player's space, forcing them to engage to clear safe space. Not ideal for this particular encounter.

- Some monsters exert time pressure, becoming more dangerous the longer they're left alive. Pain Elementals and Arch-Viles are examples of those enemies. Not ideal here for the same reason. Some monsters make themselves priority targets due to their attacks, like Arch-Viles, Revenants, Chaingunners/Shotgunners and Mancubi.

24 minutes ago, CatWithAComputer said:

Which ones?

The two first ones (before open the specter door) and the last one (exit).

Unfortunately, I can not upload the video at the moment. Here are my comments.

Usage of different light levels makes the level feel more alive

You do use seperator and pillar textures, when changing rooms.

I liked that the player is limited to 2 weapons.

Feedback

• Please make sure your textures are aligned. In some places, you need to do it manually. Still, only found 2 at the revenant room.
  • Revenant fight was tedious. A lot of rooms are just empty boxes, not exactly rooms.
  • In Dark rooms, use lights and light sectors to highlight a door. Good for clarity.
  • When creating the map, expect to play it atleast 10 times per room created, just to find places to improve.
  • Solid effort on second wad (and 4th map), but this one, again, needs more time in the oven. Patience is key when designing maps. Coming from a newbie mapper myself.
  • Different monsters bring different threats to combat. Use multiple monsters that can hit players from multiple sides. And at the same time, think how the player should feel in that fight and aim for creating it with room details, obstaclesz room size and even room look.

Mapping formats wall of text

Spoiler

Something to keep in mind:

Vanilla( Original game limits): Choco Doom

Vanilla +(Original game with sone limits removed) Crispy Doom

They do NOT support boom format.

Boom:

PrBoom+ (Complevel 9/ Complevel Boom v2.02)

DSDA Doom (Complevel 9/ Complevel Boom v2.02)

These are mainly used for playing maps, that use Boom features.

ZDoom family and GZDoom family can break some boom maps.

When testing maps:

Do you want advamced features?

No = Chocolate Doom, Dos emulators.

Yes = See below:

=====

Crispy Doom (Vanilla +/ Also Known as Doom/Doom2 formats) is targeted by maps, that want to avoid original doom engine limits (Too many items/ things/ linedef and sector limits) without changing the core gameplay of doom. PrBoom+ and DSDA - Doom use Complevel 2 for similar effect, but it is mostly used for demo recording.

Boom format maps often make use of generalized actions, as well as scrolling floors and vodoo dolls for a bigher variety of actions, as well as expanded map size and/or detail limit. Boom format maps usually break in Vanilla or Vanilla+ sourceports

ZDoom formats can run boom maps, but some actions do break. Unless tested, I would avoid reccomending ZDoom based ports, and by Extension, GZDoom based ports for boom maps, unless thoroughly tested.

GZDoom targeted maps tend to break in sourceports below them. A lot of GZDoom features do NOT translate over to previous source ports. This includes as simple things as tags, tag numbers and the amount of stuff you can add or use in your maps.

Subgenre of GZDoom mapping is UDMF, although it has a life of it's own. If you map on UDMF (Or UDM Format), you most likely will not be able to play the map on anything outside of GZDoom.

It is more complex than this, but always make sure you choose the right format, right targeted sourceport and test on targeted ports to make sure they actually work in it.

The order presented here is close to hierarchical, from least to most advanced.

Edited by IcarusOfDaggers : Typos:(

Welp, here comes my review of the first ver.

WARNING: A lot of Ñ in this review.

Spoiler

El mapa esta regular, digo, no es el peor "Mi primer mapita" que he jugado pero tampoco es el más destacable. Le falta mucho pulido, pero se nota que sabes varios conceptos básicos del mapeo, y hay zonas donde se puede apreciar mucho detalle, así que es bueno ver que vas por la dirección correcta.

En lo que me gusto, pues como ya dice, hay varias zonas con buen detalle (dentro de lo posible considerando que es un mapa todavía sin terminar) y que me dieran una Escopeta al inicio, eso ya es un plus.

Dentro de lo que no me gusto... bueno, hay como 5 enemigos por cada zona (excepto en la de los Revenants, que es el que más tiene), muy poco considerando que las zonas son bastante amplias, tampoco hay consistencia, inicias en pasillo para luego ir a una zona abierta y luego una parte con sector de daño y los revenants, pa finalizar en una especie de campo con montañas.

No hay ni un solo item y/o secreto... Malardo ahí. Las peleas suelen ser bastante aburridas, y algunas muy tediosas como la de los Revenants. :/

Casi todos los sectores tienen una altura muy alta, eso hace ver todo más grande de lo que en realidad es, y considerando que no hay muchos enemigos lo hace ver más vacío...

Oh, y la escalera del inicio esta también mal, algunos escalones tienen una altura consistente y otros tiene una altura rara, supongo que fue por automatizar el proceso :P

En fin, al menos este si se ve como un intento de entrar al mapping y no simplemente trollear con un mapa deliberadamente malo. Si le algo más de tiempo al diseño y posicionamiento de enemigos e Items, te puede salir algo buenardo. Espero ver lo próximo que hagas con este mapa a ver como evolucionas en esto.

De paso, agradezco que hayas puesto la info relevante pal mapa, eso ya lo hace un mejor post que el 95% de los "Mi primer mapason papuh"

1 hour ago, Herr Dethnout said:

Welp, here comes my review of the first ver.

WARNING: A lot of Ñ in this review.

Reveal hidden contents

El mapa esta regular, digo, no es el peor "Mi primer mapita" que he jugado pero tampoco es el más destacable. Le falta mucho pulido, pero se nota que sabes varios conceptos básicos del mapeo, y hay zonas donde se puede apreciar mucho detalle, así que es bueno ver que vas por la dirección correcta.

En lo que me gusto, pues como ya dice, hay varias zonas con buen detalle (dentro de lo posible considerando que es un mapa todavía sin terminar) y que me dieran una Escopeta al inicio, eso ya es un plus.

Dentro de lo que no me gusto... bueno, hay como 5 enemigos por cada zona (excepto en la de los Revenants, que es el que más tiene), muy poco considerando que las zonas son bastante amplias, tampoco hay consistencia, inicias en pasillo para luego ir a una zona abierta y luego una parte con sector de daño y los revenants, pa finalizar en una especie de campo con montañas.

No hay ni un solo item y/o secreto... Malardo ahí. Las peleas suelen ser bastante aburridas, y algunas muy tediosas como la de los Revenants. :/

Casi todos los sectores tienen una altura muy alta, eso hace ver todo más grande de lo que en realidad es, y considerando que no hay muchos enemigos lo hace ver más vacío...

Oh, y la escalera del inicio esta también mal, algunos escalones tienen una altura consistente y otros tiene una altura rara, supongo que fue por automatizar el proceso :P

En fin, al menos este si se ve como un intento de entrar al mapping y no simplemente trollear con un mapa deliberadamente malo. Si le algo más de tiempo al diseño y posicionamiento de enemigos e Items, te puede salir algo buenardo. Espero ver lo próximo que hagas con este mapa a ver como evolucionas en esto.

De paso, agradezco que hayas puesto la info relevante pal mapa, eso ya lo hace un mejor post que el 95% de los "Mi primer mapason papuh"

Hey, gracias por tu review, bastante útil, pero ¿podrías hacer una de la version 0.1 ?

11 hours ago, CatWithAComputer said:

Hey, gracias por tu review, bastante útil, pero ¿podrías hacer una de la version 0.1 ?

Bueno, sigue siendo el mismo que el de la anterior versión, pero el problema de la poca vida ahora se incrementó por el añadido de más enemigos y sobretodo los hitscanners, 2 medikits al inicio no son suficientes. Además de que siguen teniendo una altura muy elevada, varía un poco con la altura de los cuartos.

Nice short map!
Here's a demo lump, and a viddump vid for anyone not used to playing or recording demos, haven't recorded in a while, was fun.

https://mega.nz/file/780G2IxT#e8BJVR6g88J7QNEkydVtByHeEDs6cuAIunygA1Pvt1E

I checked the map in UDB in Doom 2 Doom Format initially.
There's one line with a Boom action (error disappeared when I opened it with Boom selected) so this would actually be -complevel 9 instead.
sPdmG8X.png

BTW, I saw warnings saying these mp-only enemies will get stuck:

Spoiler

(2 spiders, and an Archie)
csplaAL.png
kkCobhR.png
tssb1fV.png