Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HotCoffee

The Ice Keep : A Boom compatible map

23 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

That skybox looks really lovely, where you find it?

Thanks! I made it myself like every other custom asset in the map (except the music)

seconding the skybox. would love to see it in more ice/snow maps! since your map is on idgames already, and I presume that means it's finished, I'd love to record a speed demo for it and post it later. :)

Excuse me, how am i supposed to proceed from the room in the second screenshot? There are two switches, one to lower the linedefs and other to raise, but i can't get there quick enough after i press the switch. Is this intentional? Am i doing something wrong?

6 minutes ago, Zeal said:

Excuse me, how am i supposed to proceed from the room in the second screenshot? There are two switches, one to lower the linedefs and other to raise, but i can't get there quick enough after i press the switch. Is this intentional? Am i doing something wrong?

After hitting the switch that raises the linedef you immediately run back to the central platform and then run/straferun to the edge platform to proceed

12 minutes ago, No-Man Baugh said:

After hitting the switch that raises the linedef you immediately run back to the central platform and then run/straferun to the edge platform to proceed

I am sick and tired of levels that require strafe running to proceed. I have tried several times to perform this tech, but to no avail. Never understood how to do it anyway. I've watched Youtube videos, guides and i still don't understand. See, i like hard maps, but this is not hard, its just annoying and unfair. I think i'll have to abandon this one unfortunately...

5 minutes ago, Zeal said:

I am sick and tired of levels that require strafe running to proceed. I have tried several times to perform this tech, but to no avail. Never understood how to do it anyway. I've watched Youtube videos, guides and i still don't understand. See, i like hard maps, but this is not hard, its just annoying and unfair. I think i'll have to abandon this one unfortunately...

Straferunning can only be done by being at an angle and holding down move forward+ strafe key.

I usually use WS for forward-backward movement, but I've rebound strafing to A and D. Allows much better reaction time.

Also @HotCoffee i see you needed to cool down a bit. I'd also take those candlebaras out of storage and put them right in the middle of a pathway just to troll...well, not the progression one, but say, a secret one, or to distrupt the doomguys movement in a fight...so I'd say, continue putting them in my way. I'll gladly rage some more lol.

13 minutes ago, Zeal said:

Bro chill, you don't even need to straferun for this, you can just hold W and win

Also I should've clarified that there's 2 different straferuns: sr40 and sr50. sr40 can simply be achived by just holding forward and left or right strafe, you can still use your mouse, no funky turn keys, simply strafing diagonally

sr50 is the bullshit tech only speedrunners have to do, you gotta diagonal strafe + hold the strafe toggle + hold the turn key and because that turn key is translated into a strafe thank to the strafe toggle, you are now strafing twice and hense in sr50. (btw: this map never requires sr50)

back again - was going to do a uvmax demo and got to the end 5 times with missing monsters due broken teleporting spawns. the system that I notice you're using is pretty bad with W1 teleports, so if a monster spawns in and stays still for a little bit, the other monsters will roll passed the teleport line and get stuck. I highly recommend patching this :) I also recommend for secret areas to make the sector with the secret tag 9 to be the largest area in the secret, when running around I ran over the secret a lot. Attached a demo that almost went to the end until I noticed the cyberdemon failed to spawn. Other than that (gigantic) issue, I enjoyed the environments and encounters a lot! 

2 hours ago, Zeal said:

not every map is for you, my friend. also, I'm not sure how straferunning is hard to understand, just run with two buttons (W/A, W/D, S/A, S/D)

ikeep-broken.zip

6 minutes ago, Andrea Rovenski said:

back again - was going to do a uvmax demo and got to the end 5 times with missing monsters due broken teleporting spawns. the system that I notice you're using is pretty bad with W1 teleports, so if a monster spawns in and stays still for a little bit, the other monsters will roll passed the teleport line and get stuck. I highly recommend patching this :) I also recommend for secret areas to make the sector with the secret tag 9 to be the largest area in the secret, when running around I ran over the secret a lot. Attached a demo that almost went to the end until I noticed the cyberdemon failed to spawn. Other than that (gigantic) issue, I enjoyed the environments and encounters a lot! 

not every map is for you, my friend. also, I'm not sure how straferunning is hard to understand, just run with two buttons (W/A, W/D, S/A, S/D)

ikeep-broken.zip

I press W/A and still won't be aple to get to the platform. i've uploaded a video of my attempts so you can see if i did anything wrong. Again, i would appreciate very much is this straferunning requirement was removed so i can just get where i am supposed to go normaly because this is just infuriating

Bruh do you have running disabled or something? You literally just back up from the edge and run forward, you don't even need to strafe. SR40 is not a big demand on the player in this day and age anyway.

5 minutes ago, Lucius Wooding said:

Bruh do you have running disabled or something? You literally just back up from the edge and run forward, you don't even need to strafe. SR40 is not a big demand on the player in this day and age anyway.

I was just able to get to the plaftorm by pressing the switch and immediately running backwards. Getting the angle to do sr40 there is not possible. However, there still is one issue. You can get locked inside the switch room if the door closes because there is no way of opening it from the inside. Just finished the wad and i give it a 6/10. Good enemy placement, simplistic but pretty design and the teleporting Baron fight was quite creative and i really enjoyed it. However, i had just so much headache to get through the switch segment that i just can't give this wad anything above a 6 for the sake of my mental health.

23 minutes ago, Zeal said:

Getting the angle to do sr40 there is not possible. 

ive done it dozens of times trying for a demo so its definitely possible. practice a bit :D it'll come in handy later 

Boom v2.02 demo on HNTR:

IKEEPLAY.7z

There was just barely enough ammo in the map in general. Also, the map does make the game lag in a few spots when played in Boom, at least on DOSBox-X. I didn't like how you had to make a very quick dash as the platform raised pretty quickly just to progress.

8 hours ago, Zeal said:

I was just able to get to the plaftorm by pressing the switch and immediately running backwards. Getting the angle to do sr40 there is not possible. However, there still is one issue. You can get locked inside the switch room if the door closes because there is no way of opening it from the inside. Just finished the wad and i give it a 6/10. Good enemy placement, simplistic but pretty design and the teleporting Baron fight was quite creative and i really enjoyed it. However, i had just so much headache to get through the switch segment that i just can't give this wad anything above a 6 for the sake of my mental health.

I'm sorry that happened, that also wasn't supposed to happen once you get the blue key the switch door was supposed to stay open.

I will admit that the platform room that zeal was complaining about is kinda ridiculous, even running backwards as soon as I hit the switch I still don't get on everytime

Also, if you end up releasing a v1.1; I found some missing textures in the flesh room after obtaining the red skull keydoom12.png.eac42a0b6b44cb46a7d8b64baef9e8ab.png

Played on Complevel 21 with @Beed28's new and quite satisfying weapons pack, partially just for demonstration purposes, although I'm not certain it's quite at 1.0 yet as you'll see. But this is a remarkable improvement in such a short time! Although, little hint, don't make doors the same color as surrounding textures because it makes them hard to spot. But detail is really nice and encounters are spot-on!

lmd_kepp.zip

I wasn't expected really much from just Doom 1's bestiary but this map managed to pin me down at the final fight (but I broke it somehow and Cyberdemon didn't appeared on my 2nd try).

Map's layout was entertaining enough with various interesting places here & there.

To be hones, I am really like snowy theme due to my origin (north of the Siberia) and this map has nice feel, 'cause there is already some snow outside.

Part with two buttons is cruel (more cruel than that is WADs from other people is timing-based switches and other stuff), but doable.

Sorry to say that, but red labyrinth was the weakest part part of that beautiful map. I mean... It is not that interesting, I think.

Dayum! Now I want another map from you with tons of snow. Maybe open snow level? Who knows...

I have great time with your map. Thank you.

Here is some video if you don't mind...

15 hours ago, Nikku4211 said:

Boom v2.02 demo on HNTR:

IKEEPLAY.7z

There was just barely enough ammo in the map in general. Also, the map does make the game lag in a few spots when played in Boom, at least on DOSBox-X. I didn't like how you had to make a very quick dash as the platform raised pretty quickly just to progress.

This map required me to really hold on to my ammo. I tried to use the fists and infighting to my favour, mainly in the final fight, but i still hadn't enough ammo to kill the last Baron. Unless you get the secret BFG and plasmagun, its very hard to kill all the monsters

On 11/27/2022 at 10:22 AM, HotCoffee said:

It'a shame I didn't find these bugs before releasing the map, it all worked fine when I playtested it

I'm not sure it's a bug. With autorun enabled you just have to hold backwards to make it onto the first platform and then hold two keys to make it to the next. It's not really rocket science...