Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrBlaskovitz

How do I force a Pistol Start?

So, I'm making a MegaWAD but the weapons from the previous levels presume to be used in the next levels, giving an advantage and having faster progression, which is what I do not intend in my map. Does anyone know how I can edit this. I heard about editing the Map Code Lump or something like that but it wasn't very clear.

Can I even force a pistol start?

Thanks! :)

I know that in the zdoom ports you can force the pistol start through mapinfo, but outside of the zdoom family, I think the way they do it is to kill the player on the exit, for example Bourgeois Megawad exits.

2 minutes ago, Floowand said:

I know that in the zdoom ports you can force the pistol start through mapinfo, but outside of the zdoom family, I think the way they do it is to kill the player on the exit

I usually use Zdoom/GZdoom when making maps, so editing the INFO Lump won't really be a problem

5 minutes ago, Floowand said:

It would be like this

defaultmap {
    resetinventory
    resethealth
    resetitems
}

You can check the zdoom wiki for more stuff

You're a life saver. I've been stuck with this problem for 2 whole moths. Thank you

3 minutes ago, MrBlaskovitz said:

You're a life saver. I've been stuck with this problem for 2 whole moths. Thank you

No problem, I recommend you to use a mapinfo already made as a template, I did that when I was learning how to use umapinfo, for example the one in Pandemonium Speed Maps Vol 1

Slade is a good tool for that.

Forcing pistol starts with UMAPINFO is probably a better idea than using a ZDoom script as it'll mean (assuming you're not using other gzdoom features like zscript) you can support more source ports.

2 minutes ago, segfault said:

Forcing pistol starts with UMAPINFO is probably a better idea than using a ZDoom script as it'll mean (assuming you're not using other gzdoom features like zscript) you can support more source ports.

Nah, I'm just using regular ol' SLADE

Just now, segfault said:

As far as I know, pistol start has not yet been implemented in umapinfo.

11 minutes ago, Floowand said:

As far as I know, pistol start has not yet been implemented in umapinfo.

Since you mentioned it, what exact script should I use to do of this, because when I tried the script you gave me, it gave me this error:

Screenshot (248).png

1 minute ago, MrBlaskovitz said:

Since you mentioned it, what exact script should I use to do of this, because when I tried the script you gave me, it gave me this error:

Screenshot (248).png

Can you share your MAPINFO?

Try this

//MrBlaskovitz Map

defaultmap {
    resetinventory
    resethealth
    resetitems
}

map MAP01 "Space Cruiser"
{
}

Edited by Floowand : Corrected, this should work, i tested it

First of all, how dare you to force me into Pistol starting? >:c

Welp, theres a way to do it in vanilla, and that's by  killing the player at the same time when he presses the exit switch, I think that Eternal Doom does that.

2 hours ago, Floowand said:

Try this

//MrBlaskovitz Map

defaultmap {
    resetinventory
    resethealth
    resetitems
}

map MAP01 "Space Cruiser"
{
}

Nope, I still have the same weapons from the previous map

19 minutes ago, MrBlaskovitz said:

Nope, I still have the same weapons from the previous map

Oh, i found the problem, you have to define the following map to make it work, for example:

//MrBlaskovitz Map
defaultmap
{
ResetInventory
ResetHealth
ResetItems
}

map MAP01 "Sewers of Misery"
{
next = "MAP02"
}

map MAP02 "Sewers of Misery 2"
{
next = "MAP03"
}

In this case the following map (2 in this case) will apply the changes defined in defaultmap, it will not work in the third one because it is not defined yet.

8 minutes ago, Floowand said:

Oh, i found the problem, you have to define the following map to make it work, for example:

//MrBlaskovitz Map
defaultmap
{
ResetInventory
ResetHealth
ResetItems
}

{
next = "MAP02"
}

map MAP02 "Sewers of Misery 2"
{
next = "MAP03"
}

In this case the following map (2 in this case) will apply the changes defined in defaultmap, it will not work in the third one because it is not defined yet.

Thanks. So if i want to do a pistol start on every level that comes next i just have to put "map MAP01 "XYZ"

{

next = "MAP02"

}

map MAP02 "XYZ"

{

next = "MAP03"

}"

and then just continue it?

That's right, and if you want the game to end at that level, you omit the "next=" and leave that part empty.

12 minutes ago, Floowand said:

That's right, and if you want the game to end at that level, you omit the "next=" and leave that part empty.

Thanks bro. I really needed this :)

14 hours ago, Herr Dethnout said:

First of all, how dare you to force me into Pistol starting? >:c

Welp, theres a way to do it in vanilla, and that's by  killing the player at the same time when he presses the exit switch, I think that Eternal Doom does that.

Its more of a map pack than a megawad. Just a bunch of random maps, so I have to implement pistol starting.

Well, looks like that for some reason when I put in a MiDi (I renamed it and everything) and used the code you gave me, my MAP02 mapmarker became a regular marker, and MAP03's sky is now screwed up for no exact reason. FML

Where did you put the MIDI in Slade? All MIDI's should be placed in the WAD after all the map definitions, not in the middle.

3 minutes ago, Stabbey said:

Where did you put the MIDI in Slade? All MIDI's should be placed in the WAD after all the map definitions, not in the middle.

Wait. MAP02's Mapmarker became a mapmarker again, but MAP03's sky is still fucked and It's music is not playing for some reason.

Oh yeah, I put MAP03's midi on the bottom

5 minutes ago, Stabbey said:

Show us a picture of the WAD's structure in Slade, and the mapinfo/umapinfo file you're using.

Don't ask why, MAP01 and 02's Midis are just gone for no reason

m.PNG

Try to add this in the definitions, for example

{
next = "MAP02"
sky1 = "theskyname"
music = "yourtrackname"
}

32 minutes ago, Floowand said:

Try to add this in the definitions, for example

{
next = "MAP02"
sky1 = "theskyname"
music = "yourtrackname"
}

I have no idea what the fuck is happening in SLADE but for some damn reason, the regual music of MAP01 and 2 play even though there are no midis in the entry menu (D_RUNNIN and D_STALKS). I have no idea what is happening but I'm glad that it is. Also, where there is no code, it all works flawlessly but 1#: there is no forced pistol start and no custom map names. fml

17 hours ago, Floowand said:

Wait. When you said this did you mean that I do this? or?

Because, if I do, the pistol start works, but the MAP03 sky is fucked up again, and none of the tracks play.

WHY, WHY DOOM, ALL I WANTED TO DO IS FORCE A PISTOL START AND NOW I GOTTA HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS CRAP AGAIN. COME ON!FML.PNG.5092ddde68ae1f96a8bf50a745c01a6a.PNG

Edited by MrBlaskovitz

From what i test recently, MAPINFO is really picky, and you need to define some things to work it properly, as a mention in my previous post, to make the music and sky work properly, you need to define it in each map the music and the sky texture names.

18 hours ago, Floowand said:

sky1 = "theskyname"

When I used that, the sky texture became a flat of the image of F_SKY1. But besides that, everything else seems to work fine

Screenshot (249).png