Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomlayman

How to organize mods?

I create a folder named GZDOOM and in that folder I put original DOOM WADs as well as other WADs and PK3s.

This way is inefficient to organize many game files because often mod files have very short names and with time it becomes hard to correctly remember what is what.

This situation has lead me to delete mod files and to actually stay with just one-two mod file/s at a time.

I might do something wrong and ask for some advice about how to organize/arrange mod files.

Concrete advice is kinda hard to offer here simply because everyone has their own way of going about it and a lot of it is about personal preference. But I can at least tell you how I do it.

On both of my computers (a Win10 desktop and a Linux Mint laptop), I have a dedicated DOOM folder either on the desktop or in my home folder. In the root of that DOOM folder is the executable for ZDL, my Doom launcher of choice, and a bunch of subfolders with hopefully self-explanatory names: iwads/, pwads/, srcports/ (with subfolders for each one), tools/ etc. To me, the advantage of this setup is that everything is contained within a single folder and - more importantly - clearly structured so I know where everything is. And since I like to fuck around with gameplay mods on occasion, having a dedicated launcher makes things like load order easy to manage.

Now once again, everyone has their own way of organizing their Doom stuff and my way isn't the "one true way", but I hope my explanation is helpful regardless.

1 hour ago, doomlayman said:

MFG38, what is your dedicated launcher?

ZDL, like I said. Probably didn't make it quite clear in hindsight.

Heres what I do:

Base folder (contains subfolders only)

• subfolder for each source port
  • subfolder for each editing program (doom builder, slade, etc.)
  • iwad subfolder
  • pwad subfolder
    • sub-subfolders for each editing standard (vanilla, limit removing, boom compatible, zdoom, eternity, etc)

then I just launch everything from batch files from within the target port's subfolder. kind of specifically self-contained mods like doom 4 vanilla or adventures of square may get their own folder

Doom Launcher works great for me, you can use tags and separate custom tabs for keeping track of levels, graphics mods, etc. and it has lots of other great features.  Highly recommend if you're on Windows.

Here is a similar thread from a few months ago - it might also have some leads to help you:

Mine goes like this

• Doom main folder
    • PWADs strewn at the bottom
    • ZDL 
    • Sourceports organized by folder
    • IWADs storage
      • Semi-random distribution, some IWADs sorted by PWAD, some by port, one by series, at least one "Must-have all the time" sub-subfolder

It's messy, it takes a bit to get through, but it works, and now I really wanna go back and organize it now that I mention it.

On 11/27/2022 at 1:09 PM, doomlayman said:

because often mod files have very short names and with time it becomes hard to correctly remember what is what. 

Rename mod files in gzdoom folder that you are currently using with more useful names. For Example:

MOD_aa_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.pk3 (aa = lower priority in load order)
MOD_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx_v2.0.pk3
MOD_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx_v1.02.pk3
MOD_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.pk3
MOD_zz_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx_v2.01.pk3 (zz = higher priority in loading order)

All the mods in use are together, in order and perfectly identified. It's what I do.