Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RichardDS90

Megawad Main themes/Anthems

What exactly would you consider to be the musical anthem on some Megawads? 

I'll start, everyone knows what CC2 would be... Mucus Flow of course.

And for CC4, possibly will get people disagreeing, but Icicles (MAP10) is a strong contender for me.

I first played Alien Vendetta in cooperative servers in the early 00s, and as soon as I think of the wad, the Map01 MIDI starts playing in my mind. I think there’s a damn good case to be made for Map20’s MIDI too, though. It’s iconic for a reason!

Hell, come to think of it - the title screen music or the Map01 music usually are the tone setters for most any wad - Dwango5, TNT, Memento Mori, AV - but an exception for me would be Hell Revealed II, where the MIDI for Map15 easily sweeps it:

Equinox: Level 1
I always know exactly what wad I'm playing once this level starts.

According to author, B.P.R.D., "Level 1 music is a back-choir of an

Enya song that has a beat to it".

Equinox Level 1

equinox.png

For Alien Vendetta, it would have to be "Alcoty". Something about playing a wad which seemed determined to let you know what it was almost for a gate makes this one a great pairing, although the occasional Heretic textures didn't hurt either.

180 Minutes Pour Vivre has a sort of epic title theme that goes so well with the title screen that it catches my eye easily.

Eternal Doom - The title music's fine, but I'll go with something a little bit more unusual and pick the music for the bank map. You know how you're stumbling around, half convinced you missed a passageway and it turns out the solution is something far more inscrutable and right in front of you? It's a good metaphor for Eternal Doom as a whole.

Memento Mori - Let's face it. This spooky little energetic thing works just as well as anything to get you pumped.

Icarus - "Recapture from Map 01", duh. Although there are some interesting recurring motifs, and the intermission music here strangely fits, if you expand your brain a little.

Going Down - Like "Zombies go Shopping" or something, I dunno

1000 Lines 3 - Yeah, I think the title music is quite adequate here

Hellbound - Map 29. In a way, you could say the music here sums up exactly what Hellbound is about.

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Hell, come to think of it - the title screen music or the Map01 music usually are the tone setters for most any wad but an exception for me would be Hell Revealed II, where the MIDI for Map15 easily sweeps it

Not so sure about that, "Push on the Gas" also slaps. "Remains of War", "The Pyramid", "When the Sun Won't Rise Anymore" and "Gutknot" are other highlights of the Hell Revealed II soundtrack in my opinion.

"The Resurgence" (MAP30 midi) for Resurgence... well, that one's easy and convenient since it's a remix of the main theme. 

Icarus also reinterprets its main musical theme completely dry, although I'm not sure which incarnation of it I'd pick if I had to choose only one.

I like the the approach these two go for in particular, it helps give the soundtrack a very distinct personality.

I have the kind of lazy mind that makes the first level theme the theme of the whole wad. Which makes things interesting whenever I revisit Memento Mori 2. "Hey, that's the theme from Eviternity. And that's the theme from Japanese Community Project. And that one in particular has lost any and all chances of being recognized as anything other than the theme from the Massmouth series."