Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KeaganDunn

[MBF21, /idgames] The Mountaineer - 5-map set for Jimmy

holy shit it me birfday

Thanks a ton for these maps, Keagan. Thematically sound, and an entertaining challenge. Much fun was had!

Absolutely incredible mapset. I disagree with the text file, Map 05 is way harder than map 04. You can find a secret BFG which trivializes the whole map in map 04, you can't do that in Map 05. And in general, the fights in Map 05 are just harder. I will say, the ammo famine that map 04 has does make it hard until you get enough ammo to overcome said famine.

Each map was awesome and there is something for everyone, from more casual doom (This mapset isn't that bad compared to say, Sunlust or Flotsam) yet still holding a decent level of challenge and exciting combat for the more challenge seeking doom player. It's also pretty good looking, and really gives it that Mountaineer feeling.

Jimmy's music also really sells the journey, drenching it in whatever atmosphere has (Map 01 feels like the start of a journey, Map 02 is like something going horribly wrong, Map 03 is like being thrown into a pack of pinkies with only the normal shotgun, Map 04 feels daunting, and map 05 feels like a not-yet-won end of a journey, and Map 06 is a blissful end). Absolutely beautiful mapset, A+ shit.

Spoiler

Can't believe the cake wasn't a lie.

v2 of this WAD is released! Some important stuff has been addressed.

- Fixed a critical exploit in MAP01. Sorry, speedrunners ;P

- Numerous changes to combat and difficulty balancing in a few fights across the set.

- Little misalignments here and there, of course. Who's surprised?

- (Hopefully) fixed being able to fall down in the ravine in MAP03.

- Outside teleporter in MAP04 is now a lift to prevent accidentally leaving the area.

- Updated the "Memory" MIDI. Finally fixed an issue with cymbal volumes

- TITLEPIC and INTERPIC are updated, using new versions provided by Jimmy.

- Now included in the ZIP is a separate grayscale palette, to use for an optional aesthetic! Also provided by Jimmy. Be sure to load the WADs in the correct order as both of them have custom palettes.

PART_I_-_Climb_-_DOOM_2__Hell_on_Earth_1

Edited by KeaganDunn

Ah, a well deserved tribute! His tracks Thaumaturge and Subjugator are one of my favorites, although I still consider Unholy Realms by John S. Weekley to be the best WAD music pack ever made, overshadowing even the official Doom 1 score.

Jimmy's face in the HUD is a nice touch, but honestly, you made him look like he had Down Syndrome... :-/ Still, kudos for the effort, I don't remember anyone from the Doom community who would get the honor (?) of appearing as HUD face (jokewads with Bill Gates etc. don't count).

<-

I think my hud face (done by the very talented Korp) looks pretty dang cool actually

47 minutes ago, TheShep said:

My playthrough, UV.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1668924847

Thanks a bunch for the playthrough! You did really well. To clear up some confusion, Jimmy made a single called "The Mountaineer" a year ago to commemorate his 30th birthday, and in time for his 31st, I decided to make a mapset to accompany it. The music used in the progression-stopper MAP06 is a MIDI rendition I made of his song "Memory".

And you got confused with the text file because I copy information and forget to change some of it, lol. The "10 maps + 2 secret" was from a different mapset of mine

3 minutes ago, KeaganDunn said:

Thanks a bunch for the playthrough! You did really well. To clear up some confusion, Jimmy made a single called "The Mountaineer" a year ago to commemorate his 30th birthday, and in time for his 31st, I decided to make a mapset to accompany it. The music used in the progression-stopper MAP06 is a MIDI rendition I made of his song "Memory".

And you got confused with the text file because I copy information and forget to change some of it, lol. The "10 maps + 2 secret" was from a different mapset of mine

Excellent! Glad to hear Jimmy's album basically became a mapset! And yea, I've been known to leave accidental remnants of past projects in templates before, like the text file. No worries :)

I had a great time with this, it's a hell of a birthday present!  Tons of fun, tight combat challenges, many of them lock-in but without feeling excessive.  Great MIDI pairing and the theme is fun in a Going Down sort of way, as you twist your way to the top - especially when you can see yourself getting higher on the horizon.  Love it!

v3 of this WAD is released!

- Grayscale palette has been updated to include the greens!

- Minor visual fixes and gameplay adjustments

- (Hopefully) fixed being able to fall down in the ravine in MAP03.

RC1 of this WAD is now released! This will be the last call before it gets uploaded to idgames.

- Cleaned the WAD of unused textures (from 30MB to 9MB, whew)

- Fixed the exit switch in MAP01

- A few other minor changes

RC2 is released! But ultimately a minor update. Finally came back to this and did some maintenance to get this uploaded to idgames.

Will announce when it is up on idgames!

This map set is fantastic... I personally felt that Map01 was the toughest. I found no secrets in map 1/2/3, but I did find the BFG secret in Map04.

Hey folks,

Finished this on UV. Playlist:

Very very heartwarming, a great dedication to Jimmy. Not too challenging and really enjoyable. Top marks from me!

11 hours ago, DreadWanderer said:

Hey folks,

Finished this on UV. Playlist:

Very very heartwarming, a great dedication to Jimmy. Not too challenging and really enjoyable. Top marks from me!

Well played - thanks a bunch for this playthrough! Hard to believe it's been almost a year since I did this. Really appreciate the notes in the description.

Screw it, here's the context (sort of) for each of the secret images:

Spoiler

1 - Jimmy wearing Arlene's face  ArleneKappa shirt

2 - Mafia boss Jimmy, courtesy of EmptyCell

3 - Seismic Jimmy. An attempt at joining a selfie train but forgetting the flash was on

4 - Evil Jimmy. Green version of this is currently being used as his Spotify profile pic.

5 - The MIDI Jesus, courtesy of EmptyCell.

4 hours ago, KeaganDunn said:

Well played - thanks a bunch for this playthrough! Hard to believe it's been almost a year since I did this. Really appreciate the notes in the description.

Screw it, here's the context (sort of) for each of the secret images:

Hide contents

1 - Jimmy wearing Arlene's face  ArleneKappa shirt

2 - Mafia boss Jimmy, courtesy of EmptyCell

3 - Seismic Jimmy. An attempt at joining a selfie train but forgetting the flash was on

4 - Evil Jimmy. Green version of this is currently being used as his Spotify profile pic.

5 - The MIDI Jesus, courtesy of EmptyCell.

You're very welcome, I had a lot of fun! Thanks for the extra info on the images btw!

My first exposure to your work was actually Shades of Azure, and I really liked that one too, though it's very different. Now I just have to find the courage to UV max it...

Edited by DreadWanderer

What an amazing map set! Loved every second!

Good visuals, hard but fair challenges, mixed with Jimmy's music (which never disappoints)

Definitely a must-play!

Here is the UV MAX playlist of the journey:

4 hours ago, loveless said:

great maps! enjoyed the theme, the midis, sights, and the fights. 

happy belated birthday @Jimmy!

May as well have said "happy early birthday" 'cos it's only in 15 days' time, lmao

But thank you!