Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RDETalus

OUBLIETTE FATALIS - a subterranean adventure [boom / MBF]

Wow, that definitely was an experience! Great atmosphere, cool vibes, felt really otherworldly.

Don't know why, but it sometimes remembered me of the more spooky parts of Thief.

If you know of any wads with challenging combat that would work with this mapping style, please recommend them to me.

Combat was not an afterthought in this map, but it can seem unchallenging because it's the thing I have the least experience in designing. I'm still new to Doom mapping so any material to study would help.

1 hour ago, RDETalus said:

If you know of any wads with challenging combat that would work with this mapping style, please recommend them to me.

Combat was not an afterthought in this map, but it can seem unchallenging because it's the thing I have the least experience in designing. I'm still new to Doom mapping so any material to study would help.

You're not obligated to make it hard. You might even find that putting more of the player's focus on combat may take away from their ability to observe the environment, which can be important for a map that's based around environmental design.

If you want to try out maps where good combat flow seems to magically jive with exploration, try Lost Civilization and Avactor. For maps where atmospheric dungeon crawling is punctuated by tough individual fights, try Maskim Xul. For maps where atmospheric dungeon crawling is permeated with general hostility, try Legacy of Heroes.

I played this and just wanted to stop back in to say it's wonderful. I appreciated the idea behind Arx Fatalis, where the minute details of scene-setting are the main focus of design and are used to make you feel like you're poking through a real place; it kinda makes each room and grotto feel loved and lived in, and like it's an accomplishment to just find random places regardless of how "useful" they are. I think it translates into the low-fi look of Doom really well with midtexture tricks being used for a lot of things. The way you turned the midtex items into almost faux-voxels is fun. As someone else mentioned, I also like how the whole map has that really slow, contemplative pace but then it's still able to send occasional bursts of monsters at you to create more danger in the tight spaces. If you were to continue this as a mapset, you could lean into that sort of encounter to a little more to increase difficulty over time without losing the atmosphere -- or, as you expanded into more types of spaces (overworlds, say), then you could use that as a way to vary encounter styles as well. I would certainly play a whole megawad/game of stuff like this -- but even just an episode would be great, and might be a more realistic target.

Edited by Not Jabba

That was really good map.

Oh... If only I knew English as good just to explain my deepest appreciation feelings toward this project.

Layout, geometry, details (especially them) & atmosphere... All of these is made on really high level, indeed.

I was immersed so hard that I even didn't want to leave some bonfires.

Also, I am 120% agreed with @Not Jabba about they comparison with Lost Civilization. There is really good combat situations, dope level of details & astonishing ability to explore some additional (non-mandatory to progress) areas.

I've seen mid-tex trickery before, but I think that author of this map made it on entire new level. I almost feel the full 3D of these decorations.

Ambient sounds was really fitting. Additional point for them.

Sorry for not choosing "Daggerfall" enemies with "Walpurgis" arsenal, but I am gained very big amount of joy even with other pack of mods:

This wad is beautiful, I watched Sandwedge play it, and soon I will play it too. I'm much happier because Oubliette Fatalis exists.