Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RDETalus

OUBLIETTE FATALIS - a subterranean adventure [boom / MBF]

Love the map :) You have a knack for creating caves that feel 'real'! Atmosphere and lighting are great and the sound design adds to it. Looking forward to a sequel!

Very cool map, moody and kinda relaxing : ) Felt like a mixture of Eternal Doom and Quake. Lots of fun.

I've played it on Eternity (4.03, MacOs, dev build) and got to the end with six enemies left that didn't teleport in... I wonder what went wrong?

etrn45.png.d669d6a960ac7ca00b032760c6f1a6ca.png

etrn44.png.7f41125ea021fcca14aaf24debb9e8f3.png

Never tested on eternity, but my guess is that the teleport destination got blocked up and the monsters couldn't finish teleporting. I'll fix that by making the conveyor looping

I had a ball with this one, fam. The visuals and atmosphere were really nice, combat was always tight and exciting and the crypt was my personal favourite bit.

The author [RDETalus] worked on the map [Oubliette Fatalis] for 6 weeks and in the end I was very surprised by the quality. Many small details are immediately noticeable and you go straight into a vault of gothic dungeons! The whole map has new textures and music, which brings the whole thing to life in what is actually quite a dark map. At every corner, or rather by constantly pressing the switches, you have to reckon with being attacked by hordes. Every now and then you get into somewhat larger arenas or the initial sewage system, which I personally liked very much. I only used the torch sparingly, as it lowered the performance quite a bit. That's generally the problem with using a torch anyway! The map was top and in connection with [Project Brutality 3.0] the game was even more fun for me!

Project Brutality 3.0 - Doom 2 - Map: #0223 - Oubliette Fatalis - [4K60ᶠᵖˢ]

11 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

I had a ball with this one, fam

running straight into the pub was a neat strategy I never thought of before, very fun when they finally opened the door and tried to get inside

Pretty cool map! I played this in Woof on skill 3 and 320x200 and really enjoyed it, though it was not very challenging aside from the (kind of cheap) revenant ambush at the end. But honestly that didn't matter that much, this medium-sized adventure map just oozes dusty, occult atmosphere, like a blend of Kristian Aro's Brotherhood of Ruin, Eternal's "Epic", and czg's "Februus Depths" for Quake, and the combat is certainly adequate even if it's not the primary focus. I was kind of skeptical when I read it had ogg music, but the dark ambient (not the overblown "cinematic" music I often hear in ogg wad soundtracks) really makes this wad and I think it would be severely compromised without it. It looks a lot better in software mode than in the GL screenshots IMO, the color distortion at low light levels (and most of this map is pretty dark) make the crypts and dungeons that much danker and nastier.

Gameplay-wise, the best part is the very well judged ammo placement. I found 8/11 secrets and even then I never felt like I was in a position to waste ammo with abandon. The secrets were really nice, too, having an internal logic to them (almost like things you'd expect to see in the mandatory progression of an Eternal Doom map, heh). A very good way to burn a half hour and chill out, the gameplay keeps you paying attention without being stressful or grueling, the feeling of place is so good you can almost smell it (eeeeew, somebody get out the bleach), and the architecture and texturing are detailed without being fussy. I'd gladly play an episode of this.

Very cool map that really nailed the atmosphere and exploration, good job!  There was one minor issue on UV:

Spoiler

These two monsters were stuck together.  I assume one was meant for a lower difficulty only.

doom05.png.141b05c7ea379583681c683457a94ec2.png

This is a great, beautifully detailed and atmospheric map, the dark ambient music really goes well with the map too. Great job, man!

On 11/30/2022 at 4:29 PM, TheCyberDruid said:

Looking forward to a sequel!

6 hours ago, Woolie Wool said:

I'd gladly play an episode of this.

There will be a sequel. Not a direct one, but at least in spirit. This map is a stand-alone offshoot of a larger 8 map project I am working on. 

Hey had a great time with this!  Love the underground dungeon theme, and all the mini themes you were able to include - lots of variety for something that could've been one note.  Never played Arx Fatalis but I liked the mix of assets used here.  Not too hard, but fun, and my only death was hilarious - I'll keep that a secret lol.  Also found only half the secrets but they were fun to suss out, and quite useful.  Awesome work and would definitely check out a mapset like this in the future!

Someone's got to tell me what Doom demons are doing in a medieval setting with no sense of tech anywhere.

You can't eat the cheese in the plasma rifle room? F.

The chaingunner next to the blue key actually killed me

Encounters have a strong sense of spice to them, though this wasn't difficult mostly until near the end.

lmd_oubliette.zip

Awesome map, super good usage of textures and lighting. I really liked the dripping water effects in the sewer area towards the beginning of the level. Hope to see more maps of this style in the future!

13 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

You can't eat the cheese in the plasma rifle room?

That looks like cheese to you? It's supposed to be little gold coins!

But, that could be a fun little "use" interaction I could incorporate in the future. You "eat" the cheese, it disappears, and some hidden mechanism drops a stimpak on you.

Haven't had the time to play this yet, but it looks awesome.

However, I just wanted to report that I tried to load it on ZDoom (2.8.1) and it failed to start, giving off this fatal error: "Script error, "OublietteFatalis.wad:DECORATE" line 9: Invalid state parameter a_startsound".

I know that that's a minor nitpick, as that's an unmaintained port, and it's not one that you aimed for, compatibility-wise, but just thought I'd point it out.

On a different note, I tried it for a bit on Woof! and it works perfectly. Really looking forward to play it.

16 hours ago, Arsinikk said:

I did have an issue with a Caco not wanting to emerge from the dark void where the bridge is. Not sure what the deal is with that.

Thanks, that bug happens from a combination of issues:

1. The cacodemon starts on top of an invisible pillar. This is how I have the cacodemon start in mid-air instead of on the ground
  2. There is a linedef the player crosses that causes the invisible pillar to lower to the ground, so your gunshots won't hit the pillar
  3. If the cacodemon doesn't wake up before the player crosses the linedef, it gets lowered into the chasm before it can take flight
  4. The bottom of the chasm is a Boom feature fake floor. I use this to hide the corpse of the cacodemon when you kill it
  5. The cacodemon doesn't want to fly up and out of the fake floor area. I have no idea why

I fixed it by moving the linedef further up so the cacodemon has more time to wake up. Also made those health bonuses in the crates easier to see and pick up.

12 hours ago, adamastor said:

I tried to load it on ZDoom (2.8.1) and it failed to start

Thanks. I changed "A_StartSound" to "A_PlaySound" but it doesn't work quite right. The ambient sound emits from the player instead of the thing its assigned to. You end up hearing the ambient sound effects at full volume regardless of where you are in the map. Not sure what's going on there. There are also two mid texture offset bugs that show up in ZDoom as well, so it might take me a few days to solve this.

Wow this was incredible. The detail was mindblowing, personal favorite bits: the books strewn around the map, the voxel weapons and tools using midtex (I love doing these in my maps), the transparent textures around the crystals to give them a genuine look, the lighting all over, etc. The fights were very solid as well, and I love all the custom textures and sound effects. I would play a whole 32 map megawad of this if I had the chance. Great work.

The attention to detail made this an absolute delight to explore. The Doomcute, the voxel items, the environmental effects such as dripping water, flowing blood and ambient sfx (adore those crystals) - absolutely gorgeous stuff. Loved the little tell with the corpse and the disappearing archie; and the blacksmith trap, too.

A wonderful, sombre little vignette well complimented by the ambient audio track - looking forward to burrowing through the other 7 maps!

Dude, this map was an absolute banger! :) Played via DOOM Retro for that chunky, vanilla-esque aesthetic and ran into no issues that I could see.

Solid dungeon crawler vibes, ample use of doomcute / Build engine psuedo-realism and dripping (literally in some areas, hahaha) with atmosphere. Not the hardest map in the world but there are a few spicy encounters that will challenge unaware players or players doing challenge runs (keyboard only, no power weapons, etc.) but I have the feeling this was never meant to be an absolute ball buster!

The waterlogged yellow-key cavern with the lily pads, hidden demon crevices and lonely withered tree was my favourite area of the map, I spent a good 5-10 minutes just vibing there after the monster ambush, haha!

If this is a teaser / stand-alone map for an upcoming episode, I'm very keen to dive into that set when you eventually drop it!