Find results that contain...
Find results in...
K_Doom

What is the "nukage"?

4 hours ago, Kinsie said:

1Ak6Szz.png

By this logic Doom Eternal's entire story is "lore" lmao

5 hours ago, 7Mahonin said:

My guess is it is melted uranium that they use to power nuclear power plants and nuclear reactors used to run various facilities throughout the levels. The barrels likely store waste that is discarded from the vats for being contaminated or whatever.

It’s green because that’s how Hollywood makes it look and it makes it clear it is a bad liquid to walk across. Most nuclear waste would look a lot like water in reality though. 

Aye.

To add to it:

Leakage

-age is a french suffix.

So for me i thought it is a playful Way with the Word to mix Leakage and Nuclear to Nukage, to make it clear that it is leaking nuclear Waste.

3 hours ago, Kinsie said:

The argument is against lore for the sake of filling out a Wiki page rather than anything more substantial.

Right, but this was brought up as a reaction to a post. We're not writing a wiki. We are fans of the game on a forum, discussing our favorite game with fellow fans.

I think the point is that not every single element of a game needs a Dark Souls-tier "item description", or even a coherent explanation. Why do you rappel down to the surface of Hell after Episode 2, but start by rising up from a pit in Episode 3 of Doom? Why do the demons like to use marble so much, and where are they sourcing it from? Why does walking in blood hurt you? Does any of that matter? If so, why not make it what you want it to be when making your WAD and tell your version of the story?

5 hours ago, Kinsie said:

The argument is against lore for the sake of filling out a Wiki page rather than anything more substantial.

If the ideas in this thread help OP come up with inspiration for a map, I'll take it over a hundred "does anyone else hate arch-viles" or "looking for someone to make my mod for me" threads.

8 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

If the ideas in this thread help OP come up with inspiration for a map, I'll take it over a hundred "does anyone else hate arch-viles" or "looking for someone to make my mod for me" threads.

Yes, that I know haha. But what made me curious is to know what would be the context to find this substance randomly scattered in various levels of Doom. Although if this is a leak of fuel/radioactive material or a refinery it would make sense to see something that refers to this as tanks and machinery indicating. But I guess I'm expecting too much from a 90's game. They didn't have that level of "Doom cute".

5 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

I certainly wouldn't disagree with this. I very quickly forgot anything about Eternal's story. It's not very good.

5 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

I'm normally on the opposite side of the argument, but this ... I can't argue with ... I mean. We literally got Skyrim's O-dah-viing dragon riding scene. And then "AVENGERS SENTINELS, ASSEMBLE!". Eternal jumped the shark. As the shy lonely widow said to the randy stallion: It's possible to put too much in.

3 hours ago, dasho said:

Why do you rappel down to the surface of Hell after Episode 2, but start by rising up from a pit in Episode 3 of Doom?

Obviously, the rope ended up a bit too short, so you had to jump down the rest of the way. You landed in some soft fleshy noodle substance that absorbed most of the impact, but you did make a crater anyway. Raising up from the pit is the fleshy noodle substance returning to its previous shape.

14 hours ago, Kinsie said:

1Ak6Szz.png

yeah man how dare fans ask fun questions about deliberately unanswered minor details, this is absolutely the same thing as star wars inventing elaborate backstories for literally every character

3 hours ago, CFWMagic said:

Reject modesty. Return to MLG.

I thought Nikolai was back for a moment 'cause I haven't seen this video but then I remembered that Eternal came out 2 years ago and my entire life flashed before my eyes.

Just now, HeatedChocolate said:

I thought Nikolai was back for a moment 'cause I haven't seen this video but then I remembered that Eternal came out 2 years ago and my entire life flashed before my eyes.

R.I.P. u solid lad ... -Sad violin plays- I think he's still around on his discord? Didn't really follow him since he bailed though.

1 minute ago, CFWMagic said:

R.I.P. u solid lad ... -Sad violin plays- I think he's still around on his discord? Didn't really follow him since he bailed though.

I'll shush after this to avoid hijacking the thread, but he bailed? Man, he got me into STALKER (And also indirectly JJBA now that I think about it.) and his vids were always there to reignite my passion if I got disheartened as a rookie in the cordon.

While I can't really give a good answer for Doom, I can give you my idea of what it is. In the Machinima I make called Spring Time in Hell, the nukage is actually the waste product of the explosive barrels, as they are created with this sludge. However, only a portion of the sludge created is actually explosive. The rest is just flammable. Which would be pretty cool in Doom tbh. 

As an elder millennial, I can tell you that back in the 90s, green slime was just how Hollywood presented nuclear waste. I'm guessing that what it is although in an interview Tom Hall gave he spoke about an unused plot point concerning monsters being made in vats. So it could be Demon jizz, that transforms people into Demon troopers which were what imps were originally supposed to be before they were changed to imps.

4 hours ago, pcorf said:

It is green and it hurts.

It's green and pissed!

22 hours ago, dasho said:

Why does walking in blood hurt you?

That actually has a canonical explanation (it's boiling hot), so not technically part of the "users speculate" show

Does any of that matter?

No

I think the point is that not every single element of a game needs a Dark Souls-tier "item description", or even a coherent explanation. Why do you rappel down to the surface of Hell after Episode 2, but start by rising up from a pit in Episode 3 of Doom? Why do the demons like to use marble so much, and where are they sourcing it from? Why does walking in blood hurt you? Does any of that matter? If so, why not make it what you want it to be when making your WAD and tell your version of the story?

There is a tradition that says there is marble in hell. Blood does damage because it's more of a hellish mystery, it needs no explanation just as pillars made of viscera don't make sense in the real world either. It's just a freak from hell. The nukage doesn't fit into that.

31 minutes ago, K_Doom said:

There is a tradition that says there is marble in hell. Blood does damage because it's more of a hellish mystery, it needs no explanation just as pillars made of viscera don't make sense in the real world either. It's just a freak from hell. The nukage doesn't fit into that.

But see how you hand-waved or provided an explanation for everything but the nukage? You can do that for the nukage. It doesn't matter. Whatever backstory you decide to give the nukage is fine because in the long run the "canon" explanation for nukage doesn't really matter.