Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain POLAND

Should Doom have had a BFG-wielding enemy?

8 hours ago, Artman2004 said:

If I could give an enemy a BFG, it would most likely be the spider mastermind. It is supposed to be the final boss after all.

The Demolisher

More enemies (preferably fragile, like zombies), for no good reason, should copy The Sky May Be pinky's death behavior.

Spoiler

When pinky's killed, killer emits BFG tracers in direction pinky was facing before dying.

Keep in mind that, while this idea may be viable with a bunch of caveats (should be extremely conspicuous before the projectile is fired, the fight location should have a lot of cover, the enemy should be encountered rarely and/or alone), when doom was originally released a ton of people played with keyboard only and had the strafing abilities of a wounded turtle

Avactor has an enemy with a BFG attack and it works well enough there, though I imagine it'd be confusing if I didn't already know how the BFG attack works.

Way back in the distant year of 2010 I made a BFG zombie for my wad Revenge of the 90s.

It looked like a shotgunner holding a BFG, had only about the health of a chaingunner. There was a delay twice as long as there is when the player fires a BFG, and the “charge up sound” could be heard easily even from very far. You could see the zombie pointing the BFG toward you. The player had plenty of time to react before the ball was actually fired, and if handled right, the BFG zombie could actually be used to clear out a bunch of other enemies while you remained unharmed.

It was fucking cool.

5 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Way back in the distant year of 2010 I made a BFG zombie for my wad Revenge of the 90s.

It looked like a shotgunner holding a BFG, had only about the health of a chaingunner. There was a delay twice as long as there is when the player fires a BFG, and the “charge up sound” could be heard easily even from very far. You could see the zombie pointing the BFG toward you. The player had plenty of time to react before the ball was actually fired, and if handled right, the BFG zombie could actually be used to clear out a bunch of other enemies while you remained unharmed.

It was fucking cool.

This sounds so badass!
It's rot90fix.wad? Downloading...

Yep, that’s the wad! Be warned though, I look back on that wad as a strange combo of cool maps/ideas, and nonsense 😅

19 hours ago, Doomkid said:

It was fucking cool.

I tried the first map and that monster is really good. I kept a couple revvies and a baron alive just because I expected one might come and was rewarded. The last stretch especially has a juicy infighting sequence with them. 

Really??!

That's not the kind of enemy you casually deploy at any point. Like it's supposed to be a rare item in OG Doom on purpose. It's completely inconceivable that any enemy (albeit even a rare one) is just going to be handed something that might kill a player instantly when the Cyberdemon and perhaps Arch-vile already have a high chance of that. Sort of a balance between needless panic and tension.