Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BluePineapple72

PUSS XXII: The Chilling Winds of Dis [Compilation Released! - DECEMBER SPEEDMAPPING]

Very exciting stuff people! I've announced it to the discord, but I will be extending the deadline to the 28th, where I'll be shooting for a pre release on the 31st.

Here's a point of discussion:

Should maps be in order of compilation as is standard for PUSS, or should we mix up the map order to specialize the gameplay experience for this wad. I'm open to ideas. 

Also: ARACHNOTRON!!!!

Spoiler

image.png

Many thanks to @WARDUST for letting me borrow their ice spider sprite for modification.

Egregor_DIS_v0303.zip

DIS_MID_v11a.zip

Map Name: False Cube of Frigged Torment
Author: Egregor

Music: False Cube of Frigged Torment by Egregor

Sky: N/A, all skies use sky-box transfers

Format: Boom (per challenge)

Difficulty Settings: YES!

Build Time: 6 hours for layout, 2 hours and 20 minutes for game-play, 10+ of detail and balance (sorry!)

Comments: Way less hard but still pretty challenging. This update has a little extra visual polish, but mainly the game-play balance is now much better! NTR and HMP are now viable options! Still pretty chaotic! Balancing always takes me forever!

*custom MIDI is also saved as D_RUNNIN within the PWAD

Screenshots: (no new screen shots at this time, sorry)

**new version of MIDI solves pitch bug I believe so make sure to update that as well thanks

11 hours ago, King Know-Nothing said:

Not sure if anyone has downloaded it, but here is a quick fix that I forgot to make last night, should be updated in the link of the original post. New file name for easy distinction as well (had also forgotten that, my apologies). Either way, hope you enjoy!

18 hours ago, BluePineapple72 said:

Should maps be in order of compilation as is standard for PUSS, or should we mix up the map order to specialize the gameplay experience for this wad. I'm open to ideas. 

!!!!

Hide contents

Love the ARACHNOTRON. 

I think you should mix up the order in terms of difficulty, length and any other considerations you can think of. Playing the Xmas speed mapping session you would go from a slaughter map to one that had only 3 or so enemies. 

19 hours ago, BluePineapple72 said:

Very exciting stuff people! I've announced it to the discord, but I will be extending the deadline to the 28th, where I'll be shooting for a pre release on the 31st.

Also: ARACHNOTRON!!!!

Hide contents

image.png

Many thanks to @WARDUST for letting me borrow their ice spider sprite for modification.

Regarding progression:

Personally I'd like to see them arranged (by you Blue), but how I'd like to see them arranged is a blend of this:

-by enemy count (a measurement of size)

-by sector count (another measurement of size)

-by difficulty (this one is difficult to qualify, but we all know when something gets too hard)

-finally, arrange for diversity; if a mapper has multiple entries keep them apart, seperate similar levels

So, overall the levels generally get larger and harder but from one level to the next there is intentional game-play diversity.

Map Name: Absence of Mercy and Empathy

Author: BluePineapple72 

Music: "Simple Solutions” by Mark Klem

Sky: ALLBLACK

Difficulty Settings: Somewhat

Build Time: 2 hours and 50 minutes.

Comments: Remake of E5M4 from PUSS XIII - Absence of Value and Meaning by Muumi. Hypothetically beatable. Will likely need an ammo rebalancing. 

Screenshots:

image.png

Spoiler

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Fun piece of trivia: the level directly after the level my most recent submission homages is where we get this event’s name!

Another fun fact! SUBMISSIONS CLOSE IN 25 HOURS! I got two maps in so it’s unlikely I’m extending it. 

A beta containing every submitted map will be released at the end of the month. RC1 will have a completed resource pack with every monster replaced. My estimate is that this will be sometime in February. By then most maps will be final and the map order may change. We’ll see. I’m not running the next two PUSS events so my plate is not going to be super full, we may actually get this one finished rather quickly!

Map Name: The flesh caverns of perpetual agony

Author: Silhouette 03

Music: Watching you- Jimmy

Sky: DISSKY24 from resource pack.

Format: Boom CL09

Difficulty settings: Yes

Build time: 4 hours

Comments: My final map for this project. Hopefully you'll enjoy playing through it. It's shorter than my previous map but better detailed and hopefully more challenging. Thank you to everyone involved in this project, and for allowing me to come aboard. I really appreciate the kindness and patience you've all shown me.

P.S I can't really take screenshots, since for some reason GZDoom doesn't transfer the screenshots taken in-game to the screenshots folder. 

Edited by Silhouette 03

Map Name: Depths of Eternal Despair and Disorder
Author: Steve88
Music: Aorta - By Tristan Clark
Sky: Various Dis Skys
Format: boom
Difficulties - Implemented, but only tested in UV
Build Time: 6 Hours on the layout + a lot of testing & detailing time
I spent a lot of time testing to get the ammo balance tight Hope its Dis-Worthy
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gSVhuX58BlwKDqidXIhtQVbkuYUAkOi_/view?usp=share_link<<< Get it Here

Spoiler

181156182_Screen1.png.1db1e4f1aeae6fbf87f426561cbdcfbf.png22441494_screen2.jpg.f70cfd83480b26a9c457dde50795e4ee.jpg1764950747_Screen3.png.2ba1e87435a8881048fc48b128a59f82.png

Edited by Steve88

18 hours ago, BluePineapple72 said:

Another fun fact! SUBMISSIONS CLOSE IN 25 HOURS! I got two maps in so it’s unlikely I’m extending it.

My math was wrong here. It isn't closing at 11:59 PM tonight, it's closing tomorrow. 28th, 11:59 PM EST. You have 24 hours

Edited by BluePineapple72

I made a map for this session as well, hope it will be accepted. If not, it will be recycled to another project, i don't know.

Title: The Goat Temple Grotto Glows with Miserable Terror

Author: Nokturnal Weeb of the Beast

Build time: 2 hours

New Music: Opening to Hell by Bobby Prince

Format: Boom

Difficulty Settings: No

Description: Tried to a fast map based upon original Dis map from Doom, result is wathever this dark cavern is. Hope the areas aren't too wide.

dis0.zip

Title: And Death Follows

Author: United VirusX

Build time: 5 hours to build and playtest

New Music: Nightmare boss theme (Metroid Fusion)

Difficulty Settings: all settings 

Description: I tried to make an interesting map with multiple skyboxes 1617093322_Screenshot2022-12-28191456.jpg.50f90497e1df3c371c698bf785c8565d.jpg

Spoiler

1982687439_Screenshot2022-12-28190735.jpg.40cf839d09c5e946bd7e82fc5fb29a47.jpg289787613_Screenshot2022-12-28190806.jpg.ec1f150a1947c14f6dd3998882c219c1.jpg492265713_Screenshot2022-12-28190908.jpg.83bfb707643ed9ce072e524a5f4e4a99.jpg

Map Name: Final Home of the Traitorous Damned
Author: Horselessheadsman
Music: cblood9 from Blood Alpha by Monolith Productions
Sky: DISSKY10
Format: Boom
Difficulty Settings: yes
Build Time: 6 hours + half a day
Comments: Completed.
Screenshots:

Spoiler

map1.png

map1-v2.png

doom10.png

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ByUI4INTMlIHE7jgU5H2q7rhQIYQSzHk/view?usp=share_link

Edited by horselessheadsman

Map Name: Valley of forgotten souls, their screams faded for aeons
Author: WeirdSandwich
Music: Arrhythmia by Jimmy
Sky: DISSKY14 from resource pack
Build time: 6 hours, plus an extra 2 hours for playtesting/bugfixing and detailing
Comments: Whatever you do, do not fall prey to the depths of the accursed valley

Screenshots:

Spoiler

EybawuG.png

ATlWsr6.png

RCBUbP7.png

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3006avofz1q5kzy/ForgottenValley.wad?dl=0

7 hours ago, BluePineapple72 said:

That’s all she wrote folks. I’ll have a compilation of all submitted maps on Friday. 

woohoo!

IMG_5247.jpg
I’m at work, so I can’t work on the wad at the moment, but over the next month or so id like to work on the map order. I’d like the easiest maps to be at the beginning and the hardest to be somewhre in the middle with a good mix of aesthetics and gameplay styles all throughout. I’d like the first level (Map02) and the last (map36) to be the best examples of the theme we’ve made this month. 

I’d like levels in each episode to remain relatively similar aesthetically to each other, but of course since we have some pretty big outliers gameplay wise in the set, I think mixing in those levels with the rest will give a good gameplay experience. I don’t want a bunch of very similar gameplay style levels clumped up together. Rather I think playing from start to finish should be a very adventurous experience with a lot of variety rather than a very contrived one. 

Wad will be available tonight, but shoot me your thoughts on the levels submitted so I have an idea of how to order them. 

WAD File: PUSS 22 The Chilling Winds of Dis

Port: Boom limit removing - Complevel 9

- Tested in GZDoom/PRBoom

Resources: Chilling Winds of Dis - Resource Pack - by us!

IWAD: Doom II

Maplist as of 12/30 - ordered by chronology of submission:

MAP01 - “In Suffering is Death” - @BluePineapple72
MAP02 - “Cryohadephobia” - @Peccatum Mihzamiz
MAP03 - “In Nowhere’s Corners, Our Sins Have Festered” - @Lina
MAP04 - “Moonflower of Dis” - @Thelokk

MAP05 - “Shivering Garden” - @muumi
MAP06 - “We live and die in forgotten places” - @Silhouette 03
MAP07 - “Icebound Apparitions” - @United VirusX
MAP08 - "Forgotten Amethyst Cave" - @DynamiteKaitorn aka Heich
MAP09 - “The Frozen Plains of Silence” - Silhouette 03
MAP10- “Lamentations of the Fallen Spirits Cursed by the Ascent of the Spectral Evil” - @NeedHealth
MAP11 - “Gasping in Darkness” - @myolden
MAP12 - “Pillars of Oblivion” - Muumi
MAP13 - "Gaping Wound of Repressed Memories" - @Death Bear
MAP14 - "Gazing Upon the Flood of the Wicked" - Shadow Sparkle and Death Bear
MAP15 - "Plagued by Tormentuous Ideation" - BluePineapple72

MAP16 - “False Cube of Frigged Torment”  - @Egregor
MAP17 - “Echoes of the Fallen Entombed in Flesh” - United VirusX
MAP18 - "Broken Halls of Dying Hope and Frozen Despair" - Unicorn Skull and Death Bear
MAP19 - “Cold, Dead Heart” - @Blexor
MAP20 - “The Poem that Froze My Heart” - Red_Boule

MAP21 - "The Torment of Euclid" - @aletheos eberlain
MAP22 - "The Cold Embrace of Eternal Anguish" - Doomcat and Death Bear
MAP23 - “Of Ice and Emeralds” - Peccatum Mihzamiz
MAP24 - “Putrid Scavenger” - @LGmaire
MAP25 - "Mausoleum of Bile" - @Blast_Brothers
MAP26 - “Hell Consumes What God Forgets” - @King Know-Nothing
MAP27 - "Absence of Mercy and Empathy" - BluePineapple72
MAP28 - “The Flesh Caverns of Perpetual Agony” - Silhouette 03
MAP29 - "Depths of Eternal Despair and Disorder" - @Steve88
MAP30 - "Descend, Sinful One" - @Awall
MAP31 - "Angel of Death" - LGmaire
MAP32 - "Festering Lacerations of a Broken Heart Left to Wither to Dust" - Death Bear
MAP33- “The Goat Temple Grotto Glows with Miserable Terror” - @Walter confetti
MAP34- “And Death Follows” - United Virus X
MAP35 - “Final Home of the Traitorous Damned” - @horselessheadsman
MAP36 - “Valley of forgotten souls, their screams faded for aeons” - @Weird Sandwich

Secret:

Spoiler

MAP38 - "The Swirling Fires of Damnation" - Muumi

Wonderful event folks! Couldn't have planned it better myself. All we need now is to finish testing, finish the sprites, finish CWILV patches and it's uh... finished! Yippee! There will also be a radical revision of the map order to create a better tailored gameplay experience.

For a resource pack that was made by member of our own community, I have to say I'm incredibly impressed to see what maps have been chiseled out with them. Heh, y'know, if you thought one homemade resource pack full of custom textures and hand drawn was impressive, wait until you see our second one...

M_DOOMbig.png

See you in January folks! Don't forget to bring your fightin' faces!!

Ive been waiting for this. Just downloaded and blasted through the first 6 levels or so. I love the theme/visuals! New textures/sprites are awesome looking! I know theres still work to be done so theres no complaints from me. I havnt found any game breaking stuff to report but i will keep a look out. Im guessing you know this but just in case you dont, on lzdoom most of the sprites glitch out in different ways. Revs go back and forth between new and original sprites when they get shot...as do imps, hell knights, lost souls... the corpses of some revert to their original form... just about all of it glitches in one way or another. My guess is its all still WIP. Loving it so far. Thanks to everyone involved

11 minutes ago, Insaneprophet said:

Im guessing you know this but just in case you dont, on lzdoom most of the sprites glitch out in different ways. Revs go back and forth between new and original sprites when they get shot...as do imps, hell knights, lost souls... the corpses of some revert to their original form... just about all of it glitches in one way or another. My guess is its all still WIP. Loving it so far. Thanks to everyone involved

Yeah, those frames don't exist on the new versions, so they'll all revert back.

Something I forgot to do which I may need to shoot a hotfix out for: there is no mapinfo file for zdoom, so maps past 32 are not gonna have music and may not be reachable

2 minutes ago, Dreemurr Deceevurr said:

...are the eyes supposed to make bossbrain and WolfSS sounds on Woof?

Yeah, I don't have replacements for them yet

Think im up to map 16 now and so far the map order of progression seems pretty much perfect. Still no game breaking bugs that i see. And honestly all the glitched out sprites and sounds only tend to make it feel that much more hellish and horrible. 😀

So I just finished playing through all 36 maps of this set. Some pretty awesome looking maps, here, as well as some seriously evil bastard maps (Everything a good WAD needs, in other words). More importantly than that, since @BluePineapple72 did ask, I made an attempt to figure out what order I think the maps should go in. I graded each map as I went, placing them somewhere (vaguely) in one of the three episodes based on two factors: How difficult I thought the map was, and where I thought would be a good place for it thematically.

Basically, I put the hardest maps in E3, the easiest ones in E1, and E2 has the maps I thought were in-between those (I know BluePineapple mentioned about having the hardest maps be in the middle but I figure this way is easier to understand). For context, I pistol-started all of these on HMP. There may be some instances of a level I said wasn't that bad being way nastier on UV, but, well, I didn't play it on UV. Something to keep in mind, I guess.

As for thematics, well, it's subjective. What I figured was that the more restrained icy caverns and ruins would appear earlier in the WAD, and that the darker ruins and more organic, 'out there' caverns would appear later. It's not an exact science, and there may be some debate as to what counts as what, but I mostly went with my gut feeling. If a map felt like E2 material, that's where I put it.

Anyway, here's the list:

Spoiler

02: Cryohadephobia - Difficulty: Late E1 or Early E2 Theme: Early E3

03: In Nowhere’s Corners, Our Sins Have Festered - Difficulty: Late E1 or Early E2 Theme: Late E2 or Early E3

04: Moonflower of Dis - Difficulty: Pretty much anywhere Theme: E2 or E3 (or secret?)

05: Shivering Garden - Difficulty: Early E2 Theme: Late E1 or Early E2

06: We live and die in forgotten places - Difficulty: Mid E1 Theme: E1

07: Icebound Apparitions - Difficulty: Mid E1 Theme: E1

08: Forgotten Amethyst Cave - Difficulty: Early E1 Theme: E1

09: The Frozen Plains of Silence - Difficulty: Early or Mid E1 Theme: E1

10: Lamentations of the Fallen Spirits Cursed by the Ascent of the Spectral Evil - Difficulty: Mid E1 Theme: E2 or E3

11: Gasping in Darkness - Difficulty: Late E1 Theme: Late E1 or Early E2

12: Pillars of Oblivion - Difficulty: Mid or Late E2 Theme: E2

13: Gaping Wound of Repressed Memories - Difficulty: Late E2 or Early E3 Theme: E3

14: Gazing Upon the Flood of the Wicked - Difficulty: Late E2 or Early E3 Theme: E1

15: Plagued by Tormentuous Ideation - Difficulty: Late E3 Theme: E3 (Probably moot since I reckon this one is locked-in as slot 15)

16: False Cube of Frigged Torment - Difficulty: Late E2 Theme: E2 or E3

17: Echoes of the Fallen Entombed in Flesh - Difficulty: Mid E2 Theme: E3

18: Broken Halls of Dying Hope and Frozen Despair - Difficulty: Mid E3 Theme: Late E2 or Early E3

19: Cold, Dead Heart - Difficulty: Late E1 Theme: E1

20: The Poem that Froze My Heart - Difficulty: Mid E3 Theme: E1 or E3

21: The Torment of Euclid - Difficulty: Late E1 Theme: E1

22: The Cold Embrace of Eternal Anguish - Difficulty: Mid E3 Theme: E1 or E2

23: Of Ice and Emeralds - Difficulty: Mid to late E3 Theme: E3

24: Putrid Scavenger - Difficulty: Early to Mid E3 Theme: E1 or E2

25: Mausoleum of Bile - Difficulty: Early or Mid E3 Theme: Late E2

26: Hell Consumes What God Forgets - Difficulty: Early or Mid E3 Theme: Early or Mid E3

27: Absence of Mercy and Empathy - Difficulty: Mid E3 Theme: Late E2 or Early E3

28: The Flesh Caverns of Perpetual Agony - Difficulty: Mid E1 Theme: E1

29: Depths of Eternal Despair and Disorder - Difficulty: Mid E3 Theme: E3

30: Descend, Sinful One - Difficulty: Early or Mid E3 Theme: Late E2 or Early E3

31: Angel of Death - Difficulty: Late E3 Theme: Mid or Late E3

32: Festering Lacerations of a Broken Heart Left to Wither to Dust - Difficulty: Mid E2 Theme: E3

33: The Goat Temple Grotto Glows with Miserable Terror - Difficulty: Late E1 Theme: Late E1 or Early E2

34: And Death Follows - Difficulty: Mid E2 Theme: Early E3

35: Final Home of the Traitorous Damned - Difficulty: Mid E1 Theme: Mid E3

36: Valley of forgotten souls, their screams faded for aeons - Difficulty: Mid E1 Theme: Mid E2

Now this is obviously just my two cents and you can take it or leave it. Maybe this will be helpful in determining the final order but that's fine if its not. Final point: I'm not sure what to say for which maps used the theme the 'best', but I think my personal favorite would be Map 12, for what that's worth.

I would like to enjoy the wad once all the enemies animations are completed. Is there an ETA? :)

anyway 2 levels in, and i love it :)