Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BluePineapple72

PUSS XXII: The Chilling Winds of Dis [Compilation Released! - DECEMBER SPEEDMAPPING]

This looks very cool. The theme is pretty original and alluring (for all except trypophobes, I assume) and I feel like I could imagine some seriously dread-inducing environments based on what I've seen of the resources. However, the resources themselves do seem heavily at odds with the three hour restriction, which at least in my mind wouldn't really allow for the visuals to shine as they should. I know it's a speedmapping series, but that time limit is the primary thing turning me off here. I've glanced at a bunch of these sessions and thought the same thing to some extent, but never this strongly. Something more akin to a 32-in-24-esque "create a layout within a time period, and then have an extended time period later on to craft the visuals" process would allow the set to get much closer to realizing its full potential, but it's your project. Best of luck with it!

I really want to try and make a map for this, the texture pack just looks so damn cool but man Idk if I can make a map that's somewhat playable in 3 hours lol 

1 hour ago, AD_79 said:

This looks very cool. The theme is pretty original and alluring (for all except trypophobes, I assume) and I feel like I could imagine some seriously dread-inducing environments based on what I've seen of the resources. However, the resources themselves do seem heavily at odds with the three hour restriction, which at least in my mind wouldn't really allow for the visuals to shine as they should. I know it's a speedmapping series, but that time limit is the primary thing turning me off here. I've glanced at a bunch of these sessions and thought the same thing to some extent, but never this strongly. Something more akin to a 32-in-24-esque "create a layout within a time period, and then have an extended time period later on to craft the visuals" process would allow the set to get much closer to realizing its full potential, but it's your project. Best of luck with it!

2 hours ago, BluePineapple72 said:

As a general rule, I'm comfortable with you going back into your wad and picking at it's bones to make sure everything is neat and tidy.

The use of blue and purple as part of the colour palette looks awesome and a great way to help visualise the cold without it looking dull and lifeless.

Hey @BluePineapple72, unless I missed something it appears that the the chaingunner and shotgunner's sprites are unchanged in the resource pack, where in the OP it's mentioned that their sprites have been changed. Are these sprites some of the unfinished ones you mentioned, or have I overlooked something?  

I like speed maps with short time limits, I have huge attention span problems so a 3 hour map is gonna be fun.

4 hours ago, Silhouette 03 said:

Hey @BluePineapple72, unless I missed something it appears that the the chaingunner and shotgunner's sprites are unchanged in the resource pack, where in the OP it's mentioned that their sprites have been changed. Are these sprites some of the unfinished ones you mentioned, or have I overlooked something?  

Yeah, they’re still being worked on

6 hours ago, AD_79 said:

three hour restriction

6 hours ago, United VirusX said:

3 hours lol 

2 hours ago, Thatonespymain said:

3 hour map

Seeing that time is a contentious issue (not just here, on discord as well), I decided to bring it up to the folks in the event headquarters to which they started screaming at me: 3 HOURS ARE YOU INSANE????!!!

So I've done 2 things:

1. I've increased the time limit to 6 hours.

2. I've added an addendum to the General Speedmapping Guidelines. The point of the time limit is to put a fire under your seat to force you to finish the map. The intention isn't really to 'challenge' you. The scope for PUSS projects is that I want as many people to make the best thing they can with interesting themes and restrictions. The time limit thing started as a challenge, but as of late I've grown cold to it. The addendum is this: I want you to finish the layout of your level, get a general feel for what the gameplay is gonna be, and get a rough to perhaps imagined level of what the visuals will look like in 6 hours. You can spend any amount of time you want thereafter refining what you've sent to me.

I WILL REQUIRE YOU TO SEND ME SOMETHING NEW THOUGH:

Once your time is up and you have that rough layout, I want you to send me a screenshot of that map in builder before and after the refining phase (you can submit your map before you refine it for feedback/suggestions on where to take it), so that I can see how it looks comparatively before and after you polish it. See the spoiler below for an example:

Spoiler

image.png

This is a very rough layout of a map I made in 2 minutes.

image.png

This is that rough layout with an additional 2 minutes.

I would like you to send me screenshots (like those) of the map once the time limit is up, and the map once you polish it. Polishing does not mean adding a massive shit ton of new rooms for gameplay. New sectors for details are fine (skyboxes and such) BUT if there is a whole nother half to your map or a bunch of new gameplay areas that you added after your time limit, then that's not gonna fly.

We've always been kinda fast and loose with the post submission map adjustment period, but I wanted to make this addendum to make it clear that the time limit is now permanently just a layout thing (like how @AD_79 mentioned 32in24's way of doing things).

19 minutes ago, Anarkzie said:

That Pain Elemental looks seriously freaky.

Funny story: I had been tossing around the concept of a ball of SP_FACES for a few months since I made a fireless SP_FACE lost soul and someone suggested a mass of faces on the sprite work thread. I was searching for an artist to make that enemy for a good while to no avail. One day @muumi was making a bunch of animated SP_FACE textures when I said “shit, could you render that on a ball?” And like five minutes later he shot out this: 

butt_elemental.gif

1 minute ago, BluePineapple72 said:

Funny story: I had been tossing around the concept of a ball of SP_FACES for a few months since I made a fireless SP_FACE lost soul and someone suggested a mass of faces on the sprite work thread. I was searching for an artist to make that enemy for a good while to no avail. One day @muumi was making a bunch of animated SP_FACE textures when I said “shit, could you render that on a ball?” And like five minutes later he shot out this: 

butt_elemental.gif

I love it, I don't scare easily but that looks like something out of a fever dream. I'm really looking forward to this wad. Your description of a frozen Hell city sounds really cool.

I had thought Dis was quite fiery in The Devine Comedy but I checked and the city extended all the way down to the bottom, so I learned something too.

1 hour ago, Anarkzie said:

I had thought Dis was quite fiery in The Devine Comedy but I checked and the city extended all the way down to the bottom, so I learned something too.

At the very center of Hell lies Satan half encased in ice in the river Cocytus. Chewing with his 3 mouths on the three worst sinners in hell the occasional flap of his wings blow the chilling winds that freeze the already frozen tortured souls at entrapped beneath the solid sheet of ice that spans as far as eyes can see. 

PUSS’s dis monsters who inhabit this ecosystem take inspiration from deep sea creatures who have adapted to the foreign and hostile environment of the bottom of the ocean that not even the light of the sun can reach. The demon’s eyes, if the have them, are useless, and the frozen wind of Dis has mangled and tarnished their sickly and thin bodies. @horselessheadsman described his cacodemon as using the light of an imprisoned soul to lure in victims to eat. 

I like to think of them as biome specific versions of the demons we all know and love in a world devoid of fire.

Edited by BluePineapple72

1 hour ago, BluePineapple72 said:

Seeing that time is a contentious issue (not just here, on discord as well), I decided to bring it up to the folks in the event headquarters to which they started screaming at me: 3 HOURS ARE YOU INSANE????!!!

i didnt say it as a bad think i think it's quite nice

39 minutes ago, BluePineapple72 said:

I like to think of them as biome specific versions of the demons we all know and love in a world devoid of fire.

That's cool, kind mixing evolution with super natural Demon stuff.

50 minutes ago, Thatonespymain said:

i didnt say it as a bad think i think it's quite nice

It’s all cool. My bad on misreading. I’ve been wanting to slowly translation from hard time limits for some time now so this new event rule thing works out nicely. Should allow for folks to speedmap to their hearts content while also allowing other folks to go slower (while still under a limit). 

My hopes are that this change of rules should act as a pressure release to encourage more people to try their hands at participating in the project while still constraining them to somewhat of a challenge in order to grow their mapping skills. Restraint and limits are best friends to creativity and productivity, but too much pressure and too little freedom often prevent good art from being made. 

Edited by BluePineapple72

Another important rule addendum I forgot about:

1. There’s an additional staircase rule I edited in (basically to glue together map continuity sloppily). Read the OP again if you read it before the edit.

2. map balancing: generally speaking every map should be balanced for pistol start, but keep in mind that continuous play will a thing; I’m not forcing pistol starts on ZDoom. So the health/ammo you leave with on your map will carry over into the next one. A medkit by the exit won’t hurt. Giving the player too much ammo too may also skew the balance of the following map. Just something to keep in mind. 

10 minutes ago, Silhouette 03 said:

Regarding the stairs, must the stairs be natural i.e. icy, or man-made?

Your discretion. Only caveat is that they get darker the further from the playable space they get. Just a visual thing. Check the end of MAP01 to see what I mean. The start of each map doesn’t need to begin on the ‘entrance’ staircase either. That staircase can be behind the player (inaccessible even) as a visual “you just walked down that and now you’re here” continuity thing. 

They’re fine to fit any aesthetic as long is it’s thematically appropriate, i.e. no techbase stuffs. 

This is an absolutely fascinating theme. It's not every day a totally original resource pack of this caliber appears, that's for sure. I'm tempted to submit something myself... (no promises, mind: post-cacoward Doom burnout is a thing!). Regardless, I am very interested to see what the participants come up with!

Name: tbd

Map by: Peccatum Mihzamiz
Music: placeholder track by @Napsalm . I'm looking for another one.
Difficulty settings: yes, implemented, plus some co-op.

Sky: not applicable 

Format: complevel 9
Time: 2:55 hours
Comments: This was a lot of fun. These resources are insane! This map was finished when the time limit was 3 hours. I might go and tinker with it a bit in a few days.
Known issues: none

Screenshots:

Screenshot_Doom_20221203_132835.png

Screenshot_Doom_20221203_132852.png

Screenshot_Doom_20221203_132917.png

File (updated to version 2 on the 3rd of December because of voodoo doll closet start)

Edited by Peccatum Mihzamiz : version 2 with quick fix

I've always loved the saying "Cold as hell" and soon I'll be able to play through it in doom form :) Good looking stuff- can't wait to see what people make!

I've updated the resource to contain rot textures requested by a user on my server and a new sprite to replace the skull cake

New skull cake is temporary for now

18 hours ago, BluePineapple72 said:

SKULE1.png OPTIONAL - Give your map a long winded ridiculously edgy dramatic name. Something like "ENDLESS TORTURE IN THE BLACKENED HALLS OF SADNESS" or "SUFFERING BLIND IN THE FROZEN DARK" or "MY TOES HAVE TURNED PURPLE IN THE SNOW!" If Imperfect Hatred was Thrash Metal and XIII was Death Metal, then The Chilling Winds of Dis is Black Metal! The emotional second cousin of Heavy Metal! Pump up the drama and turn down the hope! 

The "\m/ Unholy Hateful Black Metal songtitle-O-matic \m/" might come in handy for this:
https://web.archive.org/web/20030212021439/http://www.nocturnalemissary.com/bm-o-matic/