Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
evil_scientist

COURTYARD BATTLE - mop up the factory floor in this single Doom 2 map

Made a short map! It took me about a day. I think it's a fun experience... Enjoy!

Mop not included, sorry for the misleading title.

IWAD: Doom 2

Format: Doom 2 (Doom format) [note: I only tested in GZ, but the good folks here tried in a variety of ports, and a lift doesn't work in Woof, and there is some texture shenannigans in Crispy... will try to create a more vanilla friendly version later - thanks everybody]

Type: single map

Tested in: GZDoom

Freelook/jump: Freelook ok, no jumping

Playtime: ~8 mins

Difficulty: only UV implemented

Music: "21st Century Schizoid Man" by King Crimson

DownloadCOURTYARD BATTLE.rar

Screens:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20221202_223120.pngScreenshot_Doom_20221202_223152.png.25c17fa74d192e938ac5704d73dea511.pngScreenshot_Doom_20221202_223306.png.c04a0c5a3340d8189a5c16eeb2a4c2b8.pngScreenshot_Doom_20221202_223333.png.48d0e5f35f53a514cad7f6ef5914529e.pngScreenshot_Doom_20221202_223652.png.a30ef8c19937e49759c1fee0cbf00883.png

Edited by evil_scientist

heres my play through with some feedback sprinkled through! this is the first time ive done anything like this so please forgive me if audio is terrible/i suck ass at doom, but i enjoyed your map! short and sweet. heres the video,

3 hours ago, RataUnderground said:

Nice map! I had to replay a little to find the last secret, but was quick. 
The map has a possible softblock (see the video, minute 4:33 ).

Thanks a bunch!!! You play with a very cool custom HUD and color palette!

Huh, I don't know why that lift isn't working at 4:33! I will have to check... What's your sourceport?

5 minutes ago, evil_scientist said:

Thanks a bunch!!! You play with a very cool custom HUD and color palette!

Huh, I don't know why that lift isn't working at 4:33! I will have to check... What's your sourceport?

Thanks, thats my custom theme for gameplays : )
The sourceport was Woof. It doesn't work also in DSDA, it because GZDoom works with untagged sectors, I think.

actually weird question but were you able to watch my video? just clicked on it in the thread to test and its infinite loading

6 minutes ago, RataUnderground said:

Thanks, thats my custom theme for gameplays : )

Yeah, it's cool that you have the same avatar here on the forums!

6 minutes ago, RataUnderground said:

The sourceport was Woof. It doesn't work also in DSDA, it because GZDoom works with untagged sectors, I think.

Yupp, I will have to look into that and fix it.

2 minutes ago, erkyp3rky said:

actually weird question but were you able to watch my video? just clicked on it in the thread to test and its infinite loading

Yes! I've just finished watching it here, embedded. I will react to it soon ;)

46 minutes ago, erkyp3rky said:

heres my play through with some feedback sprinkled through! this is the first time ive done anything like this so please forgive me if audio is terrible/i suck ass at doom, but i enjoyed your map! short and sweet. heres the video,

It's an honor to be your lab rat test subject first recorded run! I enjoyed the video and the commentary. The voice audio was good (the breathing doesn't annoy me much... but perhaps some of the more experienced streamers/doom-tubers can help you out with it)! Personal preference, but perhaps I'd raise the level of the game audio just a bit. Keep 'em coming, subscribed to your channel.

It's hard to play AND comment, so maybe that's why you died so often :D But I'm glad you enjoyed the map enough to soldier on and finish it.

At 12:53, what seems "off" on the exit sign?

4 minutes ago, evil_scientist said:

It's an honor to be your lab rat test subject first recorded run! I enjoyed the video and the commentary. The voice audio was good (the breathing doesn't annoy me much... but perhaps some of the more experienced streamers/doom-tubers can help you out with it)! Personal preference, but perhaps I'd raise the level of the game audio just a bit. Keep 'em coming, subscribed to your channel.

It's hard to play AND comment, so maybe that's why you died so often :D But I'm glad you enjoyed the map enough to soldier on and finish it.

At 12:53, what seems "off" on the exit sign?

thanks so much for your feedback! the feedbacker gets the feedback :O tables have turned. im definitely gonna work on my microphone, and ill take some notes from tubers like davidxnewton. will definitely raise game audio too.

regarding the exit sign, i think it caught me off guard how its shown twice. like below

EXIT

EXIT

very very tiny nitpick and nothing compared to the gameplay of your level which was very fun! thanks for enjoying my video and keep up the good mapping

17 hours ago, erkyp3rky said:

Youtube doesn't allow tunneling for some reason(that's the error I got after long loads). So Opera or some VPN's can cause issues, because that's when I've experienced it.

@evil_scientist All I can say about your map: mean, green and unseen. Seriously, some of those monsters splattered me faster than a fly hit by a supersonic sniper bullet...ouch

@Biodegradable Thanks a bunch, Bio!!! Lol, I always get a kick out of the colorful blood splatters - red, green, blue, all on a single wall :D

26 minutes ago, IcarusOfDaggers said:

@evil_scientist All I can say about your map: mean, green and unseen. Seriously, some of those monsters splattered me faster than a fly hit by a supersonic sniper bullet...ouch

Thanks for playing! 

Finally I'm living up to my name... a Mean Scientist...

I completed COURTYARDBATTLE.wad with Crispy-Doom, amazing DOOM2 map, 90/100. These classic DOOM2 maps are not made very often, and I was very impressed with the quality of the map. The map was very challenging with enemies appearing throughout the map. Great platforming sections, finding the keys was the best part of the map, and the overall map layout was well planned. My recommendations, for the more powerful enemies, give the player either a double barreled shotgun or plasmagun. When a player gets boxed into a room by enemies, the player can escape the room by taking out the enemies with either the double barreled shotgun or the plasmagun. Build either larger DOOM2 maps or build more DOOM2 levels.

15 hours ago, FireWarden1000 said:

I completed COURTYARDBATTLE.wad with Crispy-Doom, amazing DOOM2 map, 90/100. These classic DOOM2 maps are not made very often, and I was very impressed with the quality of the map. The map was very challenging with enemies appearing throughout the map. Great platforming sections, finding the keys was the best part of the map, and the overall map layout was well planned. My recommendations, for the more powerful enemies, give the player either a double barreled shotgun or plasmagun. When a player gets boxed into a room by enemies, the player can escape the room by taking out the enemies with either the double barreled shotgun or the plasmagun. Build either larger DOOM2 maps or build more DOOM2 levels.

Thanks for playing!!!!!!! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm off to sleep now, but I will consider your comments later :D