Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Astro X

Any Quake mappers out there?

So, I recently began mapping for Quake 1 (or Quake 64?) and I was wondering if there were people around here who also have decided to try this. Thanks :)

I have limited experience with making Quake maps, but the best place (if you haven’t done so already) to look at for Quake mapping is this YouTube channel, and the discord server that goes with it, followed by the QuakeOne forum. At these places mentioned you will find far more Quake mappers ranging from novices, skilled, to the legendary. 

I have begun mapping, but it felt much slower to build than your regular Doom map.

I have started recording some videos too, if anyone out there is interested in such content. Also, if you have any maps of your own or would like to suggest me some, feel free to do so @7Mahonin.

I have done some Quake mapping in the past, out of curiosity what editor are you using? I really enjoy using Trenchbroom as you can whip up and create a base map layout with very little effort. 

@HorseJockey I'm using Trenchbroom too!

I watched dumptruck_ds tutorial but it still seems difficult to build things the way I want lol

7 minutes ago, Astro X said:

I watched dumptruck_ds tutorial but it still seems difficult to build things the way I want lol

If you are trying to make complex geometry it can be tricky at first. You can manipulate the vertices of your brushes and make cuts to get what you want. There is also a .map exporter for Blender that I played around with briefly, my only complaint with that is when you export your mesh, it tries to convert it to brushes and it comes out pretty wonky.

I highly recommend the Quake mapping discord, it is the place with the most experts! https://discord.gg/yAHmD9NDtc

Personally, I am no good at mapping but if you are going the Quake 64 route, I can perhaps assist a bit! I generally know how the Quake 64 music is constructed and I have ported the Quake 64 colored lights into the PC Quake maps.

I highly recommend checking out Slipseer. It's a new forum for Quake and it's very much like Doomworld.

1 hour ago, Immorpher said:

I have ported the Quake 64 colored lights into the PC Quake maps.

Could I have a download to this if there is one?

25 minutes ago, Wavy said:

I highly recommend checking out Slipseer. It's a new forum for Quake and it's very much like Doomworld.

An active OG Quake forum with an intuitive UI? Count me in!

I've only made maps for Deus Ex and Doom but I wanted to try Quake mapping ever since I played it, gonna follow this thread and maybe join some quake discords.

I've actually been meaning to give Quake mapping a spin for a good few years. Just never got around to it for one reason or another.

Curious about it, but I have reservations about making the jump to a brush-based editor. There seems to be a solid community for it though. Plus I guess once you can make Quake maps, you can make Half-Life/Unreal etc maps, which is neat.

I registered in Slipseer already and played custom maps for the first time. Also, I haven't played Quake for around a decade! I'm gonna join in the discord for sure, thanks guys :)

13 hours ago, Wavy said:

The only bad thing about Slipseer is that cannot be named Quakeworld.

<( ˘ ∧ ˘  )>