Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dac

[Community Project] Thirty Monsters Challenge 2: Thirty Aliens (Beta compilation is up!)

This looks cool, I've been making smaller maps recently so it should be a good fit. Plenty of time to come up with something, too. I'll give it a shot! 

Are maps going to be in any specific order/difficulty curve? Whatever I do will probably be not too difficult and suited to a lower map number, if so. 

Will definitely try to make something for this. I may have missed it somewhere in the post, but is there a limit to how many maps one person can submit?

Surprised there was so much negative feedback on the death exits that it warranted a change. With the small map size and arbitrary order, I can't imagine it's a good continous play experience.

I'm in for the second Edition, any map slot you want @dac 😎

Edited by Origamyde

doom01.png.2a42ada7f74942ccf469c7a68eaa5a8c.png

Map Name: UAC Spacecraft X
Author: LGmaire 
Music: Storm Eagle's Stage from Mega Man X (XG) by Teck
Difficulty Settings: Implemented.
Ports Tested: DSDA-Doom, Odamex, GZdoom.
Description: A punchy map set in the UAC's latest and greatest in Spacecrafting: The UAC Spacecraft X.
Notes: I really wish I had the skill to make my maps look good. I like the layout here but it looks so flat and boring. I'll probably make a v2 with better visuals, but I don't think I can.

Download: 30mcLGandDac.zip

Edited by LGmaire : Map has been updated

Updated the resource pack with a fixed arch-diabolist and hopefully the cyberdemons no longer infight each other now.

12 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

How did you do that in MBF21 functionality?

I can reveal some secrets so:

Spoiler

A few seconds after death, the monster spawns an invisible "spirit" with HealChase on its position, set to "kill" itself upon reviving the first target it hits. Which should be the Undying. It's kind of hacky, but it's something I always dreamed of making in Doom, so there it is!

10 hours ago, Somniac said:

Are maps going to be in any specific order/difficulty curve? Whatever I do will probably be not too difficult and suited to a lower map number, if so. 

As I mentioned, UMAPINFO allows us to have the maps in any order we want, and they should be ordered by difficulty among other things - On the first 30mc I was generally ordering by difficulty while trying to alternate between long and short maps to not tire out the player so much.

10 hours ago, SCF said:

Surprised there was so much negative feedback on the death exits that it warranted a change. With the small map size and arbitrary order, I can't imagine it's a good continous play experience.

I admit a lot of it came from speedrunners, but after thinking about it I felt the continuous play experience was not enough of a big deal to hard restrict - most streamers I follow, from speedrunners to variety people, knows how to reset between maps and I assume anyone who hears about this project either knows how to reset too, or heard of it from a streamer who knows how to do it.

9 hours ago, R0rque. said:

Hello there. I would like to make the soundtrack of your community project. Can I try or not ? 

Feel free to post some tracks in this thread! And for anyone else, feel free to use tracks if you fancy them!

5 hours ago, LGmaire said:

doom01.png.2a42ada7f74942ccf469c7a68eaa5a8c.png

Map Name: UAC Spacecraft X
Author: LGmaire 
Music: Storm Eagle's Stage from Mega Man X (XG) by Teck
Difficulty Settings: Implemented.
Ports Tested: DSDA-Doom, Odamex, GZdoom.
Description: A punchy map set in the UAC's latest and greatest in Spacecrafting: The UAC Spacecraft X.
Notes: I really wish I had the skill to make my maps look good. I like the layout here but it looks so flat and boring. I'll probably make a v2 with better visuals, but I don't think I can.

Download: 30mc2_LGv1.zip

Please resend your map, I'm afraid there is nothing in the one you sent here.

3 minutes ago, dac said:

Please resend your map, I'm afraid there is nothing in the one you sent here.

Really? Ugh, just when I was worried I fucked something up.

Should be fixed now, hopefully.

I'd love to submit something for this! I just recently played the other 30 monster challenge and thought it was sweet so count me in.

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Resources look awesome! I would love to make a map for this one too.

edit: @dac Pinky promisse!!

Edited by Savarin

Gonna make a small update of things to come:

- After discussions with more knowledgeable people, I'll do some slight nerfs on the super shotgun. It'll still be faster than normal, but not as fast as right now. Keep this in mind if you're mapping this week and plan on heavy SSG use.

- This is specifically for @LGmaire : if you want someone to make a visual pass on your map, let me know. I'll have some more thorough criticism this week too.

Expect more news this week.

4 hours ago, dac said:

- This is specifically for @LGmaire : if you want someone to make a visual pass on your map, let me know. I'll have some more thorough criticism this week too.

Well, I wouldn't mind that. So sure go ahead.

So, working on a map, but I'm having a problem: while testing, DSDA (latest version) regularly freezes and then crashes. No error message at all, which makes it sort of hard to narrow down the issue. It seems to happen a lot shortly after I enter los of a flamethrower. 

I also noticed a lot of buggy / missing frames in the weapons, but I assume those will come at a later date?

EDIT: yup, something with the DeHackEd, loading the map NoMo or tntem works smooth like butter. 

Scratch this, I'm blind and can't tell the difference between MBF and MBF21. Still some weapon frames issue but the map doesn't crash anymore. 

Edited by Thelokk

50 minutes ago, Thelokk said:

Scratch this, I'm blind and can't tell the difference between MBF and MBF21. Still some weapon frames issue but the map doesn't crash anymore. 

I'm playing around with the resource pack atm, it looks like load order is important - it has to be aa-tex first and aa-mons after that both in resources and testing (on a copy of stock mbf21 configuration in my case). A lot of things get weird if the order is the other way around. Moving them up/down in UDB doesn't fix the issue, only helped to delete both and add in this order.

EDIT:

Also, am I doing something wrong or are vanilla flats and sbar are not properly converted? I didn't do any of the slade goodness described in aatex-info txt as I saw vanilla assets were already in aa-tex.wad and assumed it is all compiled already.

https://postimg.cc/MM1yMFQw

Edited by Doomy__Doom

^ same flats issue here

edit: I did follow the aatex_info instructions (and now have 2000+ repeated textures...)

Edited by rouge_means_red

Okay yeah this should not be a thing.

e: corrected, forgot to remove some IWAD files when doing tests. You should be okay if you follow the conversion instructions now.

Edited by dac

Here's my submission for the project.

Map Name: Outpost Chroma

Author: Jazzmaster

Music: skyscraper by Stewboy (D_JAZZMU)

Difficulty Settings: Implemented

Ports Tested: dsda-doom-0.24.3

Description: Short techbase map, mostly low to mid tier monsters, combat isn't too difficult. about on par with early Doom 2 maps.

Notes: This would be perfect for an early map slot due to its very low-mid difficulty.

Link: 30mc2_jazzmaster_m01_v1.zip

Screenshots:

Spoiler

627584658_Screenshot(246).png.6bbbd774f1ca468755a2cf489edfaa37.png1269195042_Screenshot(243).png.1ca2bf9254845394b3d28564c3ef34ca.png

I'm having some trouble getting this set up in UDB. I loaded both wads as resources, and the AA textures and enemies look fine, but all regular Doom 2 enemies/items have a messed-up palette.

Also, how do you add the new custom enemies to a map? The two AA enemies replace the Keen/SS, but the other ones don't correspond to an existing thing type, and if I manually change the type to for example 155 it doesn't show up at all.

43 minutes ago, SCF said:

I'm having some trouble getting this set up in UDB. I loaded both wads as resources, and the AA textures and enemies look fine, but all regular Doom 2 enemies/items have a messed-up palette.

There are instructions in aa-tex-info.txt, you gotta convert IWAD assets by yourself. It works properly for me with the latest pack fix.

43 minutes ago, SCF said:

Also, how do you add the new custom enemies to a map? The two AA enemies replace the Keen/SS, but the other ones don't correspond to an existing thing type, and if I manually change the type to for example 155 it doesn't show up at all.

Some of the enemies are under "User-defined" category at the bottom.

15 minutes ago, Doomy__Doom said:

There are instructions in aa-tex-info.txt, you gotta convert IWAD assets by yourself. It works properly for me with the latest pack fix.

Some of the enemies are under "User-defined" category at the bottom.

Thanks, apparently the "User-defined" category was added in a newer version of UDB than I was using.

I see why the assets have to be converted to the AA palette, but why aren't they already included in the pack? I figured the reason was you can't distribute the commercial Doom resources, but I see that Ancient Aliens itself also included them.