Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
STAR_TAN2

My First Level, Looking for Feedback Please

That was a simple but fun first map. I like you choose to start with doom 1.
My only note: on the secret area, the window's upper and lower textures seem off.

Also, be sure to follow the guidelines to post the maps. It makes it easier for all of us to test it.

6 minutes ago, RED77 said:

That was a simple but fun first map. I like you choose to start with doom 1.
My only note: on the secret area, the window's upper and lower textures seem off.

Also, be sure to follow the guidelines to post the maps. It makes it easier for all of us to test it.

Thank you for this extra information, and I'm glad you thought it was fun. Thank you for pointing out the texture thing, it must have become misalligned at some point. I have fixed it and replaced the download link.

Great work! It's simple yes, but you're a beginner. My first map never got released because I tried to make it too complex, and I didn't have enough experience to really see it through. The texturing was well done, there was attention paid to lighting, doors look properly, the secret was creative, really solid first attempt. Keep at it and I'm sure you can make a great episode!

1 minute ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Great work! It's simple yes, but you're a beginner. My first map never got released because I tried to make it too complex, and I didn't have enough experience to really see it through. The texturing was well done, there was attention paid to lighting, doors look properly, the secret was creative, really solid first attempt. Keep at it and I'm sure you can make a great episode!

Thank you so much. Maybe eventually I'll turn it into a full Episode. For now I'll probably continue standalone maps to get some more practice.

I dig the feel of the screenshots, looks like it would fit right in with the vanilla levels. Giving it a playthrough shortly.

very impressive, here's the review

GOOD: overall very good looking Doom 1 maps, and you are really those few first time mapper than know what the hell border texture is. there could be some improvments on the decoration department, but if you going for hardcore Doom 1 vibe, here is good enough.

BAD: 

UGLY:

nothing bad rn, it was a really short map so I can't elaborate on other concept of maps. I'll wait for your episode replacement

Grade: B+  A (grade buff as first time mapper)

Good stuff, fun short map. Your lighting is solid, and the layout makes sense, keep it up. The only thing I would suggest and this might just be me, the second area that leads further into the level and the secret area you used a small lift to get to the area with the shotgunner and zombieman.

q8UwXJ5.png

I would just put a small set of stairs there. It kind of halted gameplay running up, stopping, activating the lift, waiting a second for it to drop and then waiting another for it to raise. With a set of steps the player can just run up there, grab items and drop off the other side either going farther into the level or getting the secret. Also really liked this area and how it evokes E1M1:

47JYBwM.png 

One of the best "First Maps" I've ever seen.

7 minutes ago, fai1025 said:

very impressive, here's the review

GOOD: overall very good looking Doom 1 maps, and you are really those few first time mapper than know what the hell border texture is. there could be some improvments on the decoration department, but if you going for hardcore Doom 1 vibe, here is good enough.

BAD: 

UGLY:

nothing bad rn, it was a really short map so I can't elaborate on other concept of maps. I'll wait for your episode replacement

Grade: B+  A (grade buff as first time mapper)

Thank you for the video and feedback! Although I'd have to say most of the credit for some texture stuff should go to the few David and Doomkid videos I saw as stated in the OP. Thank you again though!

8 minutes ago, HorseJockey said:

Good stuff, fun short map. Your lighting is solid, and the layout makes sense, keep it up. The only thing I would suggest and this might just be me, the second area that leads further into the level and the secret area you used a small lift to get to the area with the shotgunner and zombieman.

I would just put a small set of stairs there. It kind of halted gameplay running up, stopping, activating the lift, waiting a second for it to drop and then waiting another for it to raise. With a set of steps the player can just run up there, grab items and drop off the other side either going farther into the level or getting the secret. Also really liked this area and how it evokes E1M1:

Stairs would make a bit more sense now that you mention it, I guess I just had Lifts on my mind at the moment. Thank you for the kind words!

7 minutes ago, Dub Bag said:

One of the best "First Maps" I've ever seen.

I enjoyed the commentary you provided while playing, too bad you missed the chainsaw secret though! Thanks for the feedback though I appreciate it

Sleek and clean and works very well. Nothing looked awkward or wonky and feels like a nice little MAP01 for a vanilla map set. Nicely done, fam. Very cute newbie map with lots of promise.

3 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Sleek and clean and works very well. Nothing looked awkward or wonky and feels like a nice little MAP01 for a vanilla map set. Nicely done, fam. Very cute newbie map with lots of promise.

Thank you, another great video with feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed

Ok, Sadly I can't record right now, so there's that.

It feels...doomy. like, it captures doom well and the romero influence is definetly there. So, that's already a plus.

It definetly could be some sort of reconessence base

Let's get the cons out of the way, cause it's easier to list them than anything else.

-The green armor room feels like it's missing a detail at the left.

-The monster closet outside could use a brightness of 176 instead of 192. Makes it look like a bit of shadow falls in.

-The Imp ledge at the end, getting up there would make a great set piece.

Yes, this is nitpicking. 

Future tips not covered in said tutorials (Or I missed it).

Tip: If you need to autoalign windows, use upper and lower unpegged on the linedefs the window is at. Will make your life a lot easier. Sadly, monster closets need to be done manually.

Other than that, it's a great first map. The best and most balanced one I played so far. Looks good, runs good, feels good. Then again, I'm a noob too. Welcome to doomworld.

Edited by IcarusOfDaggers

5 minutes ago, IcarusOfDaggers said:

Ok, Sadly I can't record right now, so there's that.

It feels...doomy. like, it captures doom well and the romero influence is definetly there. So, that's already a plus.

It definetly could be some sort of reconessence base

Let's get the cons out of the way, cause it's easier to list them than anything else.

-The green armor room feels like it's missing a detail at the left.

-The monster closet outside could use a brightness of 176 instead of 192. Makes it look like a bit of shadow falls in.

-The Imp ledge at the end could be a bit darker as well, not too much, but just a little bit. Also, getting up there would make a great set piece.

Yes, this is nitpicking. 

Future tips not covered in said tutorials (Or I missed it).

Tip: If you need to autoalign windows, use upper and lower unpegged on the linedefs the window is at. Will make your life a lot easier. Sadly, monster closets need to be done manually.

Other than that, it's a great first map. The best and most balanced one I played so far. Looks good, runs good, feels good. Then again, I'm a noob too. Welcome to doomworld.

Thank you, dw about not being able to record rn. I see where you're coming from with the blank wall in the green armor room. I was on the fence about that during creation. Something I'll touch up beofre making E1M2

2 minutes ago, STAR_TAN2 said:

Thank you, dw about not being able to record rn. I see where you're coming from with the blank wall in the green armor room. I was on the fence about that during creation. Something I'll touch up beofre making E1M2

Ignore the darker imp ledge, watching other videos, it worked fine. I think something was off with my screen lol.

amazing work! very well done for a first level, shows a lot of promise and youve got a nice attention to detail. managed to capture the feel of episode 1 doom successfully. my only complaint is that it was too short ;C shorter than hanger i felt. i look forward to seeing more work from you 😁😁😁

6 hours ago, erkyp3rky said:

amazing work! very well done for a first level, shows a lot of promise and youve got a nice attention to detail. managed to capture the feel of episode 1 doom successfully. my only complaint is that it was too short ;C shorter than hanger i felt. i look forward to seeing more work from you 😁😁

Thank you for playing through and providing feedback! I enjoyed the video and response

5 hours ago, thelamp said:

I decided to run this level a few times and managed to get a time of 8 seconds

Wasnt that the WR for Hangar for the longest time? Thank you for playing it too btw

36 minutes ago, STAR_TAN2 said:

Wasnt that the WR for Hangar for the longest time? Thank you for playing it too btw

Huh...no such thing as coincidence....must be romeros kid

Good map. This looked a bit to the first map of Doom's vanilla but the idea were good, such as the secret with the button and the lift. Nicely done ! ;)

1 minute ago, R0rque. said:

Good map. This looked a bit to the first map of Doom's vanilla but the idea were good, such as the secret with the button and the lift. Nicely done ! ;)

Thank you, I guess watching Romero's Design Rules probably influenced the classic build style a bit

always happy to see a first time map and new mappers - and I play a LOT of them - you are well above the grade for competency - this is a great little first map bud I look forwarding to see what u do next - good times