Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ant

Happy Birthday DOOM!

Early happy birthday, Doom! 30 in over a yr. :O Does anyone know what time it came out back in 1993?

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering. :)

Discovering the 32X port when I was neck-deep in emulation back in 2010, only to get blown over the graphics presentation (considering the time release and hardware capabilities at the time) and find out other versions also exist while also playing the SNES port. I started playing the OG version not long after with ZDoom, and the rest is history.

Just now, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Becoming a member of Doomworld and skipping out on actually playing DOOM in order to make shitposts instead.

Doomworld members in a nutshell:

Dudes, it will be 30 next year! Bethesda and id Softare have better do something awesome for it.

2 hours ago, The BMFG said:

what are some of your favorite memories from playing doom?

Probably playing WADs that left a huge impression on me, like Scythe II and KDiKDiZD.

1 minute ago, ant said:

Dudes, it will be 30 next year! Bethesda and id Softare have better do something awesome for it.

For some reason I keep hoping they contract Nightdive to make a Kex engine remaster of the game that has online multiplayer functionality. Probably won't happen though, but I can dream.

8 minutes ago, Lizardcommando said:

Hooray for Doom's birthday! Time to blaze through E1 to celebrate!

By yourself? Get three more players as a group. ;)

3 hours ago, The BMFG said:

The time a pinky harmed me in the real world.

Young (11-12ish), playing PSX Doom alone in my room, on The Refueling Base in the dark as shit *blue key room. Cleared the room out except for the world's quietest pinky who spent the entire fight silent and perfectly behind me. Stop moving to open the door and the little bastard comes up behind and chomps me loud as hell with that quality PSX reverb.

Shit myself accordingly and obliterate the top of my skull against the top of the metal bunkbed I was sitting on as I jump out my seat.

He got the BFG for that.

*Edit, not the blue key room, misremembered, the large room before the exit is the room I mean (the room is tinted blue, it doesn't have the blue key)

Edited by mrthejoshmon

2 minutes ago, mrthejoshmon said:

The time a pinky harmed me in the real world.

Young (11-12ish), playing PSX Doom alone in my room, on The Refueling Base in the dark as shit blue key room. Cleared the room out except for the world's quietest pinky who spent the entire fight silent and perfectly behind me. Stop moving to open the door and the little bastard comes up behind and chomps me loud as hell with that quality PSX reverb.

Shit myself accordingly and obliterate the top of my skull against the top of the metal bunkbed I was sitting on as I jump out my seat.

He got the BFG for that.

lmfao

I still remember I didn't really have a PC to play it, but my next door neighbor and king did with their 386s. I downloaded the shareware game and copied to 3.5" floppy disks. I gave them to my friend, but he had to study for his high school senior finals so he could only briefly played it. He said it was rad. I did install on my king's IBM PS/2 model P70 portable PC. It was choppy and had no audio (can't remember if it had PC speaker audio), but playable.

Later that year, I got a new custom built tower PC from my parents' friend.  It had an Intel 486 DX2/66 MHz, 8 MB of Memory, 15" OptiQuest monitor, Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16 (also got a Creative Wave Blaster II/2(?) to add on for it later on [unknown date] to improve MIDI music], 2x CD-ROM drive, Diamond SpeedStar Pro (VLB), 3-buttons Genius CLIXes mouse, and a Conner Peripherals IDE 340 MB HDD, etc. It ran Microsoft DOS v6.x and Windows v3.1.  It was amazing! I became a DOOMer! Then, came online dial-up modem play. My neighbor and I played co-op even though it was very slow because of his 386, but worth it. However, I had to go on vacation for a week. :( Then, came local BBSes using SirDOOM. 4 players. Wow. Then, we made 2 mods: http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/files/doom2/j2doom/j2doom.html -- Fun times as a teen. ;) I still haven't played DOOM 2016 and newer though. Also, I played DOOM 1 prereleases back then. Hehe.

6 hours ago, The BMFG said:

Replaying E1 shareware over and over again back in 96-97. 

Discovering the secret areas of E1M2, and navigating through E1M7, specially that blinking computer room where the red key card is, those are fond childhood gaming memories.

On 12/10/2022 at 3:31 AM, ant said:

Does anyone know what time it came out back in 1993?

Read Masters of Doom pages 151-153, it was uploaded to ftp.uwp.edu around midnight CST at the end of the 10th.

Some of my favourite memories of playing Doom include playing Sin City 1, DWForums.wad, Mock 2, and making a bunch of weird levels and gameplay mods when I was a little kid.

And I mean weird as in too weird for these forums.

On 12/11/2022 at 1:16 AM, ant said:

They're only interested in making money.

Only hope for some decent content from 'official' site is SIGIL 2, but that's for Doom2
and John won't make it on time....'
Doomworld mappers will have to save that day...