Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darch

How does GZDoom handles thing 14101 (music changer)?

Question

I'm working on a PRBoom wad that has lots of music changes, using thing 14101 for that. It's fine with PRBoom, DSDA Doom and ZDoom. Today I tested it on GZDoom (unfortunately GZDoom 1.8 is the only version that I can run currently). It's really wild, music changes all the time, even when I'm far away from the sector where the music changer is in. I know GZDoom has its own methods to change music, but I wanted this PRBoom wad to be GZDoom compatible. So, how GZDoom handles thing 14101? What do I have to do to change music correctly? I've seen wads placing a bunch of music changers instead of only one, but it still changes a lot more than it should.

If this behavior has changed in recent GZDoom versions, please ignore this question. 

15 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, SMG_Man said:

I would start by taking a look here https://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:MusicChanger

I did that. Didn't help, but thanks, anyway. I wanted to understand why GZDoom behaves differently from ZDoom, but now I tested the wad in an old ZDoom version and it's also buggy. Maybe it has been fixed on recent GZDoom versions. 

5 hours ago, Darch said:

I'm working on a PRBoom wad that has lots of music changes, using thing 14101 for that. It's fine with PRBoom, DSDA Doom and ZDoom. Today I tested it on GZDoom (unfortunately GZDoom 1.8 is the only version that I can run currently). It's really wild, music changes all the time, even when I'm far away from the sector where the music changer is in. I know GZDoom has its own methods to change music, but I wanted this PRBoom wad to be GZDoom compatible. So, how GZDoom handles thing 14101? What do I have to do to change music correctly? I've seen wads placing a bunch of music changers instead of only one, but it still changes a lot more than it should.

If this behavior has changed in recent GZDoom versions, please ignore this question. 

I am going to be a sucker and ask if you could test in GLOOME in its 64 bit outing. Since it is based on GZDoom 1.8, the behavior should be the same.

Just realizing that binary is offline. I still have it, but currently at work. If you do want to test with this, please let me know.

5 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

I am going to be a sucker and ask if you could test in GLOOME in its 64 bit outing. Since it is based on GZDoom 1.8, the behavior should be the same.

Just realizing that binary is offline. I still have it, but currently at work. If you do want to test with this, please let me know.

Sure, I'd like to test it in GlOOME

2 minutes ago, Darch said:

Sure, I'd like to test it in GlOOME

Alright, ill upload the 64 bit executable when im home from work. (About 3 hours from now). Its just Gloome as you know it but for 64 bit.

18 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Alright, ill upload the 64 bit executable when im home from work. (About 3 hours from now). Its just Gloome as you know it but for 64 bit.

Alright, thanks

15 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

As promised, here it is. Gloome 1.8.10 in 64 bit.

gloome-1.8.10_win64.zip

Couldn't run it. After getting some missing dll messages, I downloaded the dlls and now Gloome shuts after loading screen without any message. Not sure if I got the right dlls because there were more then one version of each. I downloaded the 64 bits ones.

1 hour ago, Darch said:

Couldn't run it. After getting some missing dll messages, I downloaded the dlls and now Gloome shuts after loading screen without any message. Not sure if I got the right dlls because there were more then one version of each. I downloaded the 64 bits ones.

Ah FFS, that's because Gibbon's earlier work tended to forget the debug flag off - which removes this stupid dependency.

I can get you those DLL's, but for now, you need these:

• VCRUNTIME140D.dll
  • MSVCP140D.dll
  • VCRUNTIME140_1D.dll
  • ucrtbased.dll

These are the dlls I downloaded. Unfortunately, couldn't run Gloome even after that. It closes on load screen.

Why on earth is GLOOME even being mentioned here? That's beyond ancient, and way off topic.

The best thing to do here is to get someone else to test out the wad in the latest GZDoom version; if it works there, great! That means it was an old bug that got fixed at some point -- and if not, then it's likely a bug that needs reporting. Aiming for compatibility with random old GZDoom versions is a waste of time.

On 12/16/2022 at 11:30 AM, Darch said:

today I tested it on GZDoom (unfortunately GZDoom 1.8 is the only version that I can run currently).

I use thing 14101 music changes in GZDoom 4.5.0 and it works fine

16 hours ago, Darch said:

These are the dlls I downloaded. Unfortunately, couldn't run Gloome even after that. It closes on load screen.

Well buggers. I guess i have to scrap my drive for a different build then.

13 hours ago, Xaser said:

Why on earth is GLOOME even being mentioned here? That's beyond ancient, and way off topic.

Because Darch mentioned that the behavior is off, so i redirected him to the closest denominator that targets modern platforms (64 bit).

Other than that, the rest of your comment applies.

This was a bug in the first implementation of this feature that has been fixed a looooong time ago. GZDoom 1.8.0 is way too old, predating even the latest ZDoom by 3 whole years - it was released in 2013. Testing anything on this old version is totally meaningless these days.