Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chopkinsca

maybe it is bad..

every couple minutes, the computer beeps.. one beep, than a higher pitched beep..
it is starting to get annoying, and I don't know what to do.
*hint hint*

I do have a tendency to want to trash a computer.. but the only thing that stops me is that it isn't mine.
maybe resetting the computer would fix it. that seems to solve many problems..

Talking about violence, I have an old P166 that sometimes (not often) fails to read/detect the HDD (which is probably the oldest thing in the box... a 400 MB drive) on startup, making a noise, not a beep, just something that is failing in there. But if I slap the case when it's failing it beeps properly and starts up.

I am just doing normal things that I always do. Sort of playing games, listening to music.
this is mostly why it annoys me, because I didn't do anything out of the ordinary.

edit: what does OSDmain do? it was one of the applications running when I just checked....

Yes, sometimes, when bugs crawl into the case, and they avoid dying by electrocution or other means in the uncaring machine, they can become melded to some part of the computer's circuits, thus becoming part of it an imbuing it with a primitive sort of sentience.

You might wanna just record as much information as you can gather regarding the problem and then write up an e-mail to the company or something...

Fortunately we have cold enough winters that cockroaches and such can't live here (crossing fingers), but I do get quite the moth buildup. At one point I decided to clean my room-fan after a moth corpse had been clearly visibly lodged in the front of the protective cage for a few months.

AndrewB said:

Fortunately we have cold enough winters that cockroaches and such can't live here

i don't think cockroaches mind the cold - considering they can survive nuclear winter and everything. armageddon and all that's left is cockroaches and anne robinson.

If you have hardware monitoring program, check its options it might be complaining about high temps or something with beebs.

does it make a beeping sound or a clicking sound? try not hitting more than 5 keys at the same time.

myk said:

Talking about violence, I have an old P166 that sometimes (not often) fails to read/detect the HDD (which is probably the oldest thing in the box... a 400 MB drive) on startup, making a noise, not a beep, just something that is failing in there. But if I slap the case when it's failing it beeps properly and starts up.

On a related note: My souncard, as usual, fails it.

What does it mean if your PC speaker sometimes sounds like a siren when you turn it? I turn it back off and then on again after a little bit and it's fine.

Gokuma said:

What does it mean if your PC speaker sometimes sounds like a siren when you turn it? I turn it back off and then on again after a little bit and it's fine.

I knew of an ASUS board that would make that siren noise when the processor wasn't inserted into the slot all the way.

Yeah, it's an Asus K7M. It hasn't done it in a while, maybe since I replaced my blown power supply and made sure everything was tiight.

My processor once came loose to the point where it wouldn't do anything. I accidently bumped the case on something bringing it into someone's house to play lan games. For some reason I forget why, I don't have all the securing parts on.

myk said:

thats asking for a good case of head crash. honestly why dont u replace it?

that beeping is normaly heard at boot. however if it is still doing it when windows is up you have a problem

Gokuma said:

Yeah, it's an Asus K7M. It hasn't done it in a while, maybe since I replaced my blown power supply and made sure everything was tiight.

My processor once came loose to the point where it wouldn't do anything. I accidently bumped the case on something bringing it into someone's house to play lan games. For some reason I forget why, I don't have all the securing parts on.

This particular computer case was dropped on the floor.

well, you wouldnt know. reading the old 2600's i was informed at how the fbi attends to hackers. they obtain everything. all electrical appliance that has a built in menue such as a vcr,pda, your computer, all your disks. everything. i would hit on my harddrive or do a low level format if i was ever a hacker and i got caught. also, i would swipe all my floppies next to a massive magnet.

hm... maybee its doing this cus something isnt plugged in all the way or in the wrong place.

Sephiroth said:

thats asking for a good case of head crash. honestly why dont u replace it?

that beeping is normaly heard at boot. however if it is still doing it when windows is up you have a problem

Only happens sometimes, rather rarely. The sound is like a little thump, as if the HDD needle (or whatever the reader is called) fails to read correctly, and eventually the machine gives up looking for the HDD (unless I give it a slap or two in time.) It happens only at startup, though, never while Windows is running. The reason is probably because the HDD is like 10 years old.

Sounds like a problem with yer, whaddya call it, electro-compu-thingy. Go fetch Grandpa another bourbon.

DC

P.S. 1000th post! How fitting that it should be spam.

*hits head repeatedly on desk

How come no one told him this yet? ... Its the sound of your computer overheating. If it beeps every 30 seconds or so, thats the computer warning you that its beginning to overheat. I think it also beeps more often as it gets hotter. I forget what device actualy detects the heat level, but I think its either the CMOS or CPU. At any rate, there are some things you should do:

1) Shut down the computer for 2 or 3 hours.
2) If its hot inside the room, turn a fan or two on and or open the window (room temperature can effect the computer).
3) If it still continues to overheat quickly, get a better fan for your computer.

If that still doesn't work then either A) your computer has been slightly overclocked and I dunno how to help you there, or B) its another problem completely.

My friend Grant got a new computer over Christmas break, and he couldn't get it working in town. He was back and forth between Dallas and his hometown where he bought the thing, and where it worked. Turns out his fan was bad, and it was just cool enough at his home to where it would work.

Right now, he's got the case open and has a room fan at its most powerful setting blowing across the motherboard. It works. :)