Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
real slush59134

I feel too old

At the end of the day, Doom is a game. The moment it starts feeling like an obligation or, worse, a job, then something has gone wrong.

Just take it easy and do not be so hard on yourself.

Edited by Rudolph

Hey, 4 years is not that long IMHO. I've been working on fixing Vilecore (the Doom wiki and /idgames thinks Vilecore is a 2003 release but that was an update year lol) since 2000 and have yet to finish what turned into the Vilecore Remaster and Vilecore 2. Like what others have said, don't be so hard on yourself. It's just a hobby and a lot of fun, usually. ;) Plus you don't have to be crazy like me and make a whole megawad, make some smaller maps. When it starts feeling like a chore it's time to take a break. Anyhow, try to take er easy.

Edited by Doom_Dude

Old? I don't feel too old myself. I can't make maps, still not a very good player even after 20 yrs of playing Doom. Yup, some us are older. So what? I'll be 72 next week, and I don't feel useless. So talk to someone you trust. Rest assured you are not useless. You have your whole life ahead of you. Best of luck to you! :)

I released a full 32 map megawad some years ago now. Getting it finished was difficult; by the end of it I wouldn't say that I was particularly enjoying the process and after it all I had something that I didn't really feel was that good. I would probably have had more fun just making a few maps and trying to make them well.

Also I know that we all like to dream that we'll drop our masterpiece and everyone will be queuing up to heap praise upon it and shower it with cacowards but the reality is sadly that even if it is good, it's a real gamble whether or not people take notice and play it. I think that, in this regard, people are more likely to try out one map that start a 32 map wad which may or may not be good.

11 hours ago, real slush59134 said:

and I'm 17 now

If you feel old with 17, then I'm should be dust now...

Spoiler

I'm 22.

Look at the positive side, you're still 17 years old, plenty of life to experience, many things to do. No need to worry, you will build your dream project, look at Mordeth ep 2, still not released after those years. Take it easy and don't rush. 

12 hours ago, real slush59134 said:

I was 13 when  I was first making my first wad

and I'm 17 now

and I didn't even finished SINGLE 32Map full wad.

I feel so useless

There are plenty of actually well practiced map makers who have been doing this longer than you have been on the planet who have not and would not attempt a solo megawad. I mean this with all sincerity. If you feel old and useless at age 17, you may need some actual help. This is not normal. You have your entire life in front of you, and Doom is just a game. There are more important things in life. It absolutely is not worth making yourself feel useless over.

6 hours ago, Thelokk said:

I have a feeling this is your feeling, and not an absolute truth. 

And yet you stated yours as if it was an absolute truth. A quick browse of threads devoted to such wads plainly shows a lot more interest than "few".

Edited by Murdoch

14 hours ago, real slush59134 said:

and I'm 17 now

I feel so useless

I'm blown away that someone as young as this is actually playing Doom. That would be like me making levels for PacMan.  Anyway making 32 levels is a big deal and not many people actually achieve that goal, as everyone says it quality not quantity.

GAFL, nerd.

all kidding aside, not everyone needs to make a megawad or be a vakiriforce who's made multiple essentially solo megawads. Not all of us have enough mapping ideas to make a full megawad compelling enough or even to make 32 maps necessarily. The more maps you make, the more likely you are to repeat yourself. 8-9 maps will likely be enough for a first set, maybe a few more if you want. But most users realize that a megawad is a) either a massive time sink or b) something that not all aspiring mappers have in them.

3 hours ago, Murdoch said:

And yet you stated yours as if it was an absolute truth. A quick browse of threads devoted to such wads plainly shows a lot more interest than "few".

She's not entirely wrong though.....while there are indeed plenty of one person megawads, it seems like the majority of them are by people with a tangental connection to the Doom commmunity at best and thusly have certain impressions that may have been true 10+ years ago that I've found hold little truth these days.

Just keep going, don't discourage! You can do it, your not useless at all! ♡ follow all the other members advices ! 

Believe in yourself and don't quit, if you like don't stop.

30 minutes ago, LadyMistDragon said:

She's not entirely wrong though.....while there are indeed plenty of one person megawads, it seems like the majority of them are by people with a tangental connection to the Doom commmunity at best and thusly have certain impressions that may have been true 10+ years ago that I've found hold little truth these days.

The comment was in reference to "This means you're still in time to realize that 32 map megawads are a relic of the past, and few bother with playing them any longer." These kind of absolute statements bother me, especially when a cursory glance at the evidence shows it is not true.

I'm almost 41 and we're getting 4 hours of sleep a day bringing up a mad child.

If you want to create a megawad, just be patient and take it step by step. Don't set a deadline and just get it finished or completed when you can.

17 hours ago, real slush59134 said:

and I'm 17 now

I feel so useless

17? You have many, many, many years lying ahead, kiddo.

About doing megawads, I can say I started one that would be called "Embers of Hell", but this proved to be MUCH harder than I expected, and I finished it much shorter, with about 10~12 maps). The quality of those maps were somewhat inconsistent so I aborted the megawad idea.

Do one map at a time, and try to make it a great map.

10 hours ago, esselfortium said:

Me reading this thread:

image.png

Yo i didn't know you had a picture of Dookid lol. don't worry i'm here as well

18 hours ago, real slush59134 said:

and I'm 17 now

I feel so useless

Your still young, i'm in the 30 club and i've got into mapping. But i understand 32 maps is a lot to chew but this is kinda odd to read, but two each it's own i guess

18 hours ago, real slush59134 said:

and I'm 17 now

I feel so useless

I'm 31 and haven't done anything with my life. It's funny seeing you youngins complain about such things. You have all the time in the world.

19 hours ago, real slush59134 said:

and I'm 17 now

lol

I "started" Doom mapping 15 years ago and I only finished my first map last month

Wait, we needed to finish the megawad untill our 20s? Am i missed my train? Sadge.

Spoiler

But in honesty, who the hell cares about wad making age, so what that you spend few years not making (Lets be honest 32maps is grandiose) stuff, on no, woe to thee. Dude just don't care. Making maps, as any other hobby is a project of passion, it has no end goal,if you want to make a megawad you can take as much time as you want, if it really bothers you menatlly, just think of it like: I wasn't\not ready to do this kind of project, lets consider it as practice..... And stop measuring your usefulness on internet output  It's wrong road to take my dude.

Edited by INfront95

I'm guessing op isn't reading the thread any more but I want to say that feeling old is just a state of mind. It doesn't have much to do with your actual age. 

I started mapping last year, and that gave me a creative outlet I've been missing all my life. Now I feel a bunch of years younger than I did before. 

I started mapping when I was 13, in 1996. I used an editor shareware version that had a 800-linedef limit per map and made two megawads between 1996-1998 that were never meant to be released to public because I was just trying to figure out how to map. A whole bunch of shitty maps trying to figure out what doom mapping was about. It doesn't really matter how many maps you do, it's better to take your time and really learn what you do.

Now I'm almost 40 and it took me 5 years to create 7 maps for another megawad that we did as a collective effort with my friend @pcorf. Sometimes one map will take a year to do, sometimes a week. The main thing to me is to have the fun to create something, to channel creativity into a form of art. Doom mapping is also an art to me. These days you also have the internet full of tutorials how to do things. In the 90's there wasn't much, almost any, and we really had to learn everything the hard way. One of the most important thing I had to learn when I was younger about being creative is to have a lot of patience and get rid of useless self-criticism and just enjoy the process.

7 hours ago, Sneezy McGlassFace said:

I'm guessing op isn't reading the thread any more but I want to say that feeling old is just a state of mind. It doesn't have much to do with your actual age. 

I started mapping last year, and that gave me a creative outlet I've been missing all my life. Now I feel a bunch of years younger than I did before. 

I read everyone's words and I should never give up

I joined this forum when I was 14 and it took me 15 years and probably over 100 abandoned attempts before I finished a level I felt was worthy to be seen by others. Never give up!

I started mapping when I was 13 too and by the time I was your age had completed three full level replacements for Ultimate Doom and Doom 2, 4 if you count Vengeance, which was modified from my first megawad.  Come on kid get with it.  

Just kidding.  There are no requirements to how many levels you should be making over any given time period.  It's a question of how much time you have and how into making Doom stuff you are.  We do this as a hobby not a job requirement.  Some people only ever made one level, released it and that was it.  And it's the quality of the levels that matters.  But as someone who created or modified well over 100 levels, I can understand wanting to be ambitious about it.  If it makes you feel better, I haven't completed a full megawad since the release of Vengeance, almost 24 years ago.  Though I feel I'm fairly close right now.  

I was 12 when I first started making levels in Doom. I'm 38 now and still haven't finished a proper WAD in my life.

lol, i've been mapping for 6 years now and i've only ever managed to release a single map. don't feel bad, making entire megawads by yourself is notoriously difficult anyways. most mappers never end up doing it

and you're only 17, you're not old!! you're gonna make me feel old by saying that, and i'm only 22! ffs man

59 minutes ago, roadworx said:

lol, i've been mapping for 6 years now and i've only ever managed to release a single map. don't feel bad, making entire megawads by yourself is notoriously difficult anyways. most mappers never end up doing it

I must say that it feels like it was easier to finish a set of levels back in the 90s when I was a teenager.  Maybe it's just because my interest lost some of its steam, or maybe it's because we didn't have the options for level building we did after people started making source ports.  Everything had to be done within he constraints of vanilla Doom.  Levels could be only so detailed, so big, etc.  Plus the standard for a quality level was lower, since people hadn't had the time to really develop their skills.