Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Cacowards 2023 Mentionation Thread: You Don't Need To Post Myhouse Again

Uroboros, made for the adventurous and masochistic modern doomer. There are some moments in this wad that you just have to experience for yourself, especially the way that the Scroll of Karnak fits into the way you're supposed to play.

1 minute ago, Maribo said:

Uroboros, made for the adventurous and masochistic modern doomer. There are some moments in this wad that you just have to experience for yourself, especially the way that the Scroll of Karnak fits into the way you're supposed to play.

I was just thinking that I would mention Uroboros as soon as the mentionation thread appeared. The progression is just the sort of wild experimentation I was hoping the adoption of UMAPINFO would enable. It's not quite like anything I've seen, and it's hard to explain without straight up quoting the thread, so I would encourage everybody to click the link and see for themselves. The WAD's not just a tech demo or a one-trick pony either - the maps themselves are distinctive and well-designed, and would easily hold up on an individual basis. The unconventional framing, however, elevates Uroboros to something greater than the sum of its parts.

Maybe new released total conversion Batman Rogue City.

8 big maps, many enemies, boss fights etc.

Link to version 1.0: CLICK

Mod topic on moddb: CLICK

8 hours ago, Tristan said:

Break//Point by @Major Arlene et al.

+1

Currently playing this and enjoying a lot the color themed maps + fast action with new weapons and enemies.

Deadliest Dem(o(li)ti)on by Scypek is visually distinctive, fast paced action packed gameplay, very challenging, and the dehacked changes left me wondering how to hell some of it was even done. Deserves to be in the running for a caco!

Some highlights of the year so far for me:

Tetanus - still need to finish this actually, but what I've played so far has been fantastic and hugely entertaining. Combat feels tightly calibrated, there are devious (but never unfair) traps to keep you on your toes, the level design is super tasty and the "rusty tropics" aesthetic feels really fresh and original. 

Boomer: Beyond Vanilla - haven't finished this either, but I loved it from the first moment. Full of detail without getting too visually busy, really nice architecture and layouts and engaging combat. 

The Cognition Engine - a unique map that feels like being inside a decaying monstrosity of flesh and computers that's out to get you. Not sure I've seen a theme like this before, but it pulled me in and I had to see what happened. Great atmosphere and some intense combat moments. 

The Smoking Dog - This one seems a little underrated in comparison but I loved it, an awesome set of classic styled vanilla maps with fantastic architecture, memorable soundtrack and fun gameplay, by one of the contributors to Alien Vendetta. What more can you ask for? 

UAC Nukeage Solutions, LLC -  Big classic style map that makes great use of vanilla textures, great use of space and a pleasing layout with nice detailing.

Hell on Earth Shareware - The concept behind this is great, and the levels themselves live up to the promise. Feels classic but modern, like it fell out of a parallel universe where Doom II did have a shareware episode, just one that was bigger and more challenging. 

There's still stuff I need to check out too, like Morior Invictus which looks like a really cool vintage-style vanilla megawad, and Liminal Doom, among others. I think there will be many more highlights this year as we're off to a great start already.

Everyone should take a look at...

...a fantastic little mapset (Boom format) which is strongly inspired by Crumpets with mostly smaller levels that contain weird landscapes, geometry that's interesting to look at and creative combat puzzles!

DOOM ARSENAL + DOOM ARSENAL MONSTER + DOOM ARSENAL EXTRA

screen.jpg.19caf2507a54cb18e6fe3f98d6f45736.jpg

+doom runner as frontend for doom , zdL it's ok , but old :P

+doom arsenal + addon as screenshot 

+ AWESOME CORRUPTION CARDS 

+target spy , how to do without

+ bolognese by sergent mark IV 

my setup - all cacowards ! of course :) :p

also : nostalgia megawads - but Has he already taken it or mentioned it ? can't remember...

+1 to the above
The entire write-up for MyHouse (Gold, HM, or whatever) should just be a copy paste of the OP, just to preserve the effect.

Ditto to Jabba's post. That was pretty much a once in a lifetime experience. Truly incredible from an artistic standpoint.

+1 to Myhouse.was as well. Once of the most artistic, interesting, mechanically great, and atmospheric WADs ever made.