Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Cacowards 2023 Mentionation Thread: You Don't Need To Post Myhouse Again

3 hours ago, TJG1289 said:

That came out way long ago so it's not eligible. 

oh.... ):

21 hours ago, Polyg0n said:

oh.... ):

If you want to experience something else more recent, you might want to check out Elegant Agony 64. That is, if you have the D64 Remaster.

These two are pretty cool, so I am gonna bring these up!
So I guess +1 HOTFIX93 and +1 Escape from Slime City!

Hotfix was pretty great!

I want to mention Hotel of the Dead, a short, fairly but detailed single map WAD

"Death Guard" by @Kisadillah

A very strong map with great attention to detail. The "DoomCute" is a lot to take in here. The leveldesign is nice, the location is interesting to explore, and the visuals are beautiful. I won't hesitate to suggest this map on Cacowards, as I really love Ultimate Doom vibe and this style of mapping, maps of this quality don't come out every day. Good work!

Spoiler

1 minute ago, CherubCorps said:

Some interesting gameplay mods that have come out in 2023

great post, I wish more mentionations had this amount of detail

I think noescape.wad by el inferno deserves attention.

This is a set of icon of sin maps with infinite monster waves, kinda like invasion gameplay, but the catch is - it is implemented in Boom. It uses a very clever monster sorting mechanism that allows mapper to control where to spawn each type of monsters (and which monsters to not spawn into the map at all) and also ensures they don't get stuck in each other (maps do no require map30 slot). This results in so many creative possibilities (just check out the maps, they are absolutely different in gameplay despite all being based on icon of sin spawners).

This is obviously a very niche thing, but strictly speaking this wad introduces a whole new map style (for Boom/MBF ports) and also provides instruments to create your own maps with it.

One thing that may turn people away is that the maps are pretty hard on UV, but they have difficulty settings, so don't hesitate to try lower difficulties to see what's the most fun for you.

Throwing in a vote for Glaive III. I'm just over midway through this mapset and it is just brilliant. I love maps that seem to encourage the player to jump in and get their hands dirty, and this wad has that in spades. I'm not quite the player I was years ago, but being ruthlessly slapped around has rarely felt so fun. Its like these maps are just screaming "come get me". Of course, I love anything that recalls Scythe, and Glaive III is definitely ticking boxes in that regard. It does feel like a spiritual successor to that classic series, but I should point out that it stands out equally on its own merits. Visually, it feels crisp and refined. There's a non-stop momentum to the combat. I'm loving the map layouts. This wad is ace!

A very worthy single-map WAD to mention is Stanley by @Dee Legita tribute to the game "The Stanley Parable".

The level combines features of a walking simulator and combat puzzles bringer, while supplementing it by various screen messages for the story, successful color palette, and walls decorated with pictures of well-known Classic Doom areas. The map progression is very consistent, the linearity doesn't ruin the gameplay either thanks to the wise reuse of space/rooms due to the backtracking followed by the game story.

Really high attention to detail is reflected in the well-made Doomcute, the proper lighting and shadows are present, too. At some point, the overall atmosphere and some of the areas are giving a Doom 3 feeling. Even in the title screen section the default image is replaced by a camera taking you on a trip around the main area of the level occupied by red hellish lighting.

Edited by Geniraul : The embedded link to the thread has been added for better visibility.

+1 for GOODWAD just for being good humor.

I'd also like to nominate Tetanus, Squonker Team's latest joint. AD_79's "Salvage" is enough to qualify it for a Cacoward by itself, it's such a creative vanilla WAD, not to mention pure fun.

One more excellent WAD to mention is @Jacek Bourne's Cybershot, which may become your greatest aim trainer. You better be ready, as this mapset will test your 2 shot BFG skills, as well as your ability to punch, by using thousands of cyberdemons on all the 3 levels. How many of them can you send back to hell? :) Seriously, this one is almost perfect for practice, in my opinion. There is no health or armor items, so you should entirely rely on your skill.

Edited by Geniraul : The embedded link to the thread has been added for better visibility.

I know the ACE engine has been in development for some time now, but yesterday its author finally released a demo of what it is capable of, and I am really impressed. The author himself says that he will soon release a video and documentation explaining the features. But from what I've seen in the demo levels, I think it's definitely Cacoward material.
3D flooring, freelook, Color sector lighting and a million other things. ... All this in Doom2.exe

1 hour ago, doomerman said:

+1 to Myhouse.wad. It blew my mind in so many ways! Happiness needs to be fought

As the thread title says, you don't need to post Myhouse again. It being mentionated in here once or twice is enough to ensure the judges are aware of it.

53 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

As the thread title says, you don't need to post Myhouse again. It being mentionated in here once or twice is enough to ensure the judges are aware of it.

Sorry my bad

+1 for ACE Engine Demo. Thinking that i just playing vanilla Doom executable stuff with few add-ons into a simple playable wad is freaking insane.

+1 for STANLEY. The gameplay, visuals and the awesome original soundtrack makes it worthwhile ever for someone who never heard of The Stanley Parable, but for The Stanley Parable fans who also like Doom it's an absolute must-play. It's not a perfectly accurate recreation, nor is it just a vaguely Stanley Parable themed set of demon arenas. Somehow, it's the best of both worlds. Somewhat downscaled from what it was originally intended to be, and sometimes it shows (if you're familiar with The Stanley Parable, that is), but downscaled so elegantly that it doesn't feel incomplete at all. In fact, it might be the perfect size for what it is. It's already a huge, masterful experience.

+++ Valis by Galactic

Fans of super-polished combat-focused megawads owe it to themselves to check this one out. Maps range from small to medium (there's one large map in the secret slot) and look super slick. Difficulty-wise I'd put it maybe a smidgen above Plutonia but hey, HNTR and ITYTD exist for a reason.

+1 for DSDA 0.26 to have mention somewhere this year - as your average UDMF enjoyer, the UDMF for DSDA is a fantastic way for mappers to have the QoL features of UDMF without the "bloat".