Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiGHTMARE

PC Power Supply query

I recently bought an ATI Radeon 9700 card, which unlike my previous card (ATI Radeon VE) requires you to directly connect it to the power supply.

After installing the card and connecting it, I decided to try out Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I put it into 1024x768, and it ran incredibly smoothly. 'Nice,' I thought, 'very nice'. However, after only 30 minutes or so, my PC suddenly, and without warning, turned itself off. And it wouldn't turn on again, no matter what.

I've since concluded that the fuse in the power supply must have blown, but what I don't know is whether it's because there are too many things plugged into it (namely the motherboard, a 40gb HD, a 120GB HD, a CD re-writer, a DVD drive, two fans, a 3.5" floppy disk drive, and the graphics card), or for some other reason (e.g. a lose connection somewhere).

I'd like to know so I can put in another power supply, without having the same thing happen again. If having too many things plugged into it is the problem, would using two power supplies work?

how many watts?

I have a 300w PSU with the motherboard (CPU, RAM), 5 Harddisk drives, a CDROM, floppy, 3 fans and a Geforce 4 hooked up without any trouble.

Dont feel bad, I have gone through my share of power supplies, and I have asked the same question's " why the fuck did this thing take a shit? ". or " Do I need a bigger power supply!".
I hate it when that happens...

hm.... chech all your connection and try unplugging the bettery off your mobo and unplud your pooter from the wall. sometimes it resets for some reason. also, check to makesure nothing is overheating.

kain: I've tried everything you suggested, and more besides. The power supply's definitely gone fubar... either that or its the motherboard (and I hope not). I guess I'll just have to get another power supply, and hope it doesn't do it again.