Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A2Rob

MACHETE - 32 Map Boom Compatible Megawad [Now on idgames]

Congrats on the idgames release!  I finished the last third of this back in its rc2 form a few weeks ago, really loved it overall.  Pure fun, and a worthy homage to the Scythe 1 style.

Playing this now! Thank you for making it... Scythe and AV are my two favorite "classic" megawads from the 2000s... really pulled me back into the Doom scene.

So.... I really love the vibe of the maps. They feel simpler than Scythe, definitely more compact... but, there's a sense of polish that I like. It feels like you guys said "let's build something in the spirit of Scythe that feels late 90s but with modern polish".

I've been playing through the early levels with Brutal Doom Platinum on UV + Tactical (pretty much the only way I play now).

Really fun! I love the design, the use of 3D space, and I like the smaller levels with a theme (ie. the one full of chainguns).

I haven't been able to do map #2 even after 3-4 tries at UV + Brutal Doom Platnium + Tactical, but here's my playthrough of the others:

Thank you for making this WAD! Looking forward to the other maps

Sweet! Checking it out right now.

It is just a shame that Doom does not a machete in its arsenal! :P

1 hour ago, unraveler said:

Sorry for the newbee question:

On DSDA-Doom, do I need to load the DEHACKED.deh file?

I don't believe so.

3 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

I have a question: how do I reach the mega armor in MAP03?

Spoiler

There's a switch on the yellow key platform.

Spoiler

Holy shit! No wonder I could not find it then: I had the platform lowered already. It reminds of the secret armor in Doom II's MAP01.

Thanks! That hurdle aside, I have been enjoying the mapset so far.

Finished it yesterday. And oh boy, the tribute you delivered! That megawad is packed with qualified violence and good visuals at the same time (partially because of Jimmytex), I love that many maps do pay homage to Scythe series (like MAP10: Lords of War, which is surprisingly nice improvement over original), while also adding something original (MAP27: Kingdom of Sorrow being a shining example - grand hypnotizing visuals and dreadful combat gives an impression that Ribbiks made this map). I must say, you do love making secrets involving small switches carved into walls in places where you don't observe much while running 'n' gunning.

I really would like to say more, but I'm posting this at 3:30 AM so maybe next time. Astonishing work, @A2Rob. Now I understand why you lead the Rusty Drill community project. This megawad is a treat, I recommend it to any Scythe fans to check it out. Heck, I would say it deserves a Dean of Doom episode!

Passed on RC2 itself, this weekend decided to re-pass at 100/100/100 without saves on the map with pistol start. It's a freaking masterpiece and should take the cacoward. The gameplay and ideas on your maps are awesome, @A2Rob.

I left notes at the bottom that I made for myself, on each map I wrote something immediately after going through that map.

Spoiler

Machete UV-MAX No saves
01 - great
02 - this is TYSON RUN
03 - good map, "obscure" secret with blue armor
04 - good
05 - good, stuck with the secret
06 - great arena, the first death [X1]
07 - awesome fight [X3]
08 - starts to show teeth, good
09 - good with cool fights [X3]
10 - awesome fight with barons [X4]
11 - great, downtown vibes
12 - great
13 - great
14 - great [X1]
15 - good
16 - good, got a little choked up in the battle with the Revenants at the end [X2]
17 - good, interesting exit [X2]
18 - great with the DUSK vibe.
19 - great drive
20 - awesome arena
21 - OH SHIT, HERE WE GO AGAIN!
22 - 2 MOTHERFUCKERS AND ROOM WITH ARCHIES [X12]
23 - great map, shit myself at the end [X4]
24 - great, went straight back to the first doom
25 - good [X1]
26 - great arena
27 - great arena, top
28 - great puzzle fights [X1]
29 - sweaty map, like an exam before MAP30 [X10]
30 - Fucking finale, sat with three liters of sweat at the very end with 30 afrites outside the window, awesome [X1]
31 - THE FUCKING MOUTH OF THIS MAP32 [X Heck of a lot of times]
32 - THE FUCKING MOUTH OF THIS MAP32 [X5]
(i like MAP32)

Total of 50 restarts for the entire megawad, not counting MAP31. That's where I tried to play speedrunner, bruh.

Pistol started saveless, fully completed, played on woof

image.png.11a90aedd5ed89dedaeec45b3360af5c.png

Fantastic stuff man, some of the best first playthroughs i had of a wad in recent memory. This doesn't feel as chaotic as some of original scythe's best stuff, only some of the late maps had harder starts like map 22 and 23, but still your combination of alm's aggressive stuff with more modern, telegraphed ambushes is good fun. 

Personally, i prefer this to the original scythe, mostly because the early maps had a lot more substance.

I have to say, I am having a blast while playing this. Short, bite-sized maps with fun gimmicks are so easy to love.

I only wish that you had replaced the fists with a machete to complete the pun! I might try to do this myself as a patch; can you tell me where to find the machete sprites depicted in the intermission screen?

Great WAD! A few friends and I just finished playing through all of the levels as multiplayer-coop over the past few weeks and we had a great time! Just one tiny bug - on the final map, there's no way to open the door that closes behind you from the other side. Makes it impossible to re-join the action after you've died. (We just deleted the door :) - thanks to everyone involved!

3 hours ago, Rocklan said:

Great WAD! A few friends and I just finished playing through all of the levels as multiplayer-coop over the past few weeks and we had a great time! Just one tiny bug - on the final map, there's no way to open the door that closes behind you from the other side. Makes it impossible to re-join the action after you've died. (We just deleted the door :) - thanks to everyone involved!

Ah, I remember that being brought up before. Perhaps it'll be fixed some time in the future. Glad you guys enjoyed it!

On 12/17/2023 at 12:32 AM, A2Rob said:

Ah, I remember that being brought up before. Perhaps it'll be fixed some time in the future. Glad you guys enjoyed it!

We loved it! Thanks so much for all your hard work!

Not sure how, but been playing through this mapset the last couple days and on the Mastermind fight at the end of Map07, the platform she was on (and thus the blue key) went UP, instead of the crusher coming down, causing it to be unreachable. Not sure what caused it and I just noclipped to get the key once I realised something wasn't working correctly, but felt like I should mention it.