Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MtPain27

Which Doom creators do you appreciate this year?

Absolutely too many to mention but there are quite a few who stuck out to me this year.

@Major ArleneYour streams are an absolute vibe, just being to hang out and talk about Doom and whole lot of whatever is such good mental break. your maps really inspired a ton of current work and glad to be able to give back with Break Point.

@Clippy @Biodegradable @TarnsmanAlways there to try out and record whatever little map thing i have and provide amazing insight, apologies in advance for all the Revenants in my future maps 😂 Bio

@Bauuland Co. For Elementalism, because without it, there wouldn't be an Abysm X, you and the Team inspired me so much and allowed me to push my UDMF skills to the limits

@Bridgeburner56 like above, seeing your awe inspiring architecture showed me how powerful UDMF Can be.

@boris for making sure UDB is always updated with useful tools for us to keep creating and pushing mapping boundaries 

@Graf Zahl And Team who are always keeping GZDoom well maintained with new useful features that I will absolutely take advantage of and @Nash for giving us twitter updates to go along with those.

@PRIMEVAL @Velvetic @BouncyTEM @Cardboard Marty for your amazing musical, and Artistic contribution to Abysm 2 and the Upcoming Abysm X. Those maps would be nothing without your tracks to add atmosphere.

There are probably quite a few more people but I dont want to make this post too long. Happy New year!

I don't recall *everything* I played last year, so I'll go by things in my memory that *seem* like 2022 plays

@NaturalTvventy @Xaser and @Lutz for NEIS, ive gushed enough about that aplenty in its thread, and ever since beating it its stayed hot and fresh in my memory about how a good modern UD megawad should be. NT and co know I love it, but it would feel odd to not mention them (again) in a thread about thanking people for good mods :p

@pcorf for making so many good maps and megawads together with @Kristian Nebula. Ive played a LOT of the content from both, both old (Twilight Zone, 20 Days in Hell) and new (2022 ADO, Zone 300) and everything in between (2002 ADO, Death Tormention Complete Trilogy) the past year, with kmexii's blog leading me t othe more obscure stuff, and ive pretty much never been let down

@valkiriforce for a plethora of content that is *exactly* my jam; ive fully completed his Pulse and Rejects wads with some single map stuff like 'id Games Troll' while starting to tackle his gargantuan Doom Core Trilogy and Anomaly Report. I also completed Oceanside, and it was a strangely emotional play, like looking into the memories of someone else, in Doom format.

@Enjay for the venerable Enjay Doom, I was astounded by how well it held up even today. I'll need to go though it twice more in Doom 2 and ZDoom forms though :p

@t.v. for TV1998 and Revolution, as well as the Community Chest stuff. I revisit Revolution more than most megawads, and the updated version for the Unity port sent me on another trip :p Always a good time.

@skillsaw for Aeternum, his second public work, which still is good today, Lunatic, and the first episode of Ancient Aliens. Still plugging away at Episode 2 now and again

@Tristan's music still puts a big smile on my face whenever I recognise it in one of the midipacks

While I haven't actually played any of his work this past year (I DO have his Claustrophobia maps on hand though..) I'd be remiss not to mention @Kyka simply for being a good supportive friend, and largely the person responsible for me still being in the doom community today.

Finally I'd like to thank the collective efforts of @OpenRift, @Terraformer9x , @Arsinikk, @Quill, @NightFright @Scuba Steve, @Nash and the others who have made great efforts in bringing our 4:3 game into the 16:9 and up modern future with some really great and faithful artwork that modernises our old classics. I utilised a lot of it in my Unity ports to make them as well-polished and professional feeling as I could, and offsite users definitely noticed the widescreen stuff!

Thanks @Redead-ITA for being a good creator and a good pal, and for finally convincing me that Italy makes the best Doom mappers.

Thank you @lunchlunch, @MacGuffin, @matador, and @40oz for contributing to my growth and development as a mapper, and for your own creations as well.

I give special thanks to aan (author of "you're a drunk loser, and not the cool kind" from 2048 Units of /vr/) and daimon (@Walter confetti), as well as everybody who worked on Diet 32in24 and 2048 Units of /vr/, for inspiring me to start mapping in the first place.

And I'm thankful for @Revae and everything he makes—I fucking love "Hit Play Half Cocked". I'm also thankful for the many talented anons at /vr/ and their continued work.

Finally, thank you @SuperCupcakeTactics-sensei for your guidance and personal friendship, as well as your maps and art which continue to humble and inspire me.

PS Edit: I'm remiss in not mentioning the Doomer Boards crew in the same breath at Mata and Forty. Those guys specifically have taught me much, but all my other peers in the DBP's have far outshone my own contributions, and I'm thankful for them all as well.

Edited by Rancid Sam : Add post-script

On 1/1/2023 at 10:18 AM, Geniraul said:

The DIY community for Do It Yourself,

@Jaska for Lost Civilization,

@Batandy for Golden Souls, Golden Souls 2 and Golden Souls 3,

@Bauul for Micro Slaughter Community Project and Elementalism Phase 1,

@Ribbiks for Italo Doom, Sunlust, Swim with the Whales, Stardate 20X6 and Stardate 20X7,

@dannebubinga for Italo Doom and Sunlust,

@Insane_Gazebo for Sunder,

@NoReason for Death in Excess,

@antares031 for Anteresian Reliquary,

Doomer Boards community for Auger;Zenith,
@BluePineapple72 for 12 Days of Doommas,

@Dreadopp & @Lord_Z for Intergalactic Xenology 2,

@skillsaw for Lunatic,

@ContrastSaturation for The Bikini Bottom Massacre,

Keith Hickman for Altier 6 & Insanity,

@Benjogami for Toilet of the Gods,

MX Dash for Doom Zero,

Digital Café for Chex Quest, Chex Quest 2 and Chex Quest 3

Also thank you @Jimmy for the incredible Sigil music and @Pistoolkip for introducing me to the Do It Yourself WAD.

22 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Most little guys get looked down upon because what they make is a Boredwad. 

Is that what we want to be saying (or otherwise implying) to people here, that because someone doesn't exceed themselves every time, or get a mention in the Cacos, their work is boring by definition? 

I genuinely hope I've misunderstood you. 

21 minutes ago, Somniac said:

Is that what we want to be saying (or otherwise implying) to people here, that because someone doesn't exceed themselves every time, or get a mention in the Cacos, their work is boring by definition? I genuinely hope I've misunderstood you. 

What i tried to say (poorly) is that a lot of little guys love to be recognized but attempt to do so with a Boredwad, meaning a wad with little effort. It happens often enough and it also has some (poor) side-effects:

• Boredwads tend to generate a lot of responses to comment on what it is. By doing so it takes away attention that a good first map from another person could have recieved
  • An additional side effect is that people will suspect a Boredwad if it isn't met by several rules that encompass a WAD thread (Like a description, screenshots, and so on and so forth), even when said map isn't a Boredwad at all and it might be a geniune mistake by a first time mapper. Often people redirect accordingly, but it does happen.

Hence it is why i said that most little guys get looked down upon. A lot of them make Boredwads, and those that don't still are at risk of being suspected as such, in my experience.

I am not saying that anyone's work by definition is boring if they don't improve themselves every time or if they recieve a caco. I do think you agree with me however, that any mapper who consistently improves on their maps is a worthwhile mapper, one who may be considered for a cacoward.

molecicco and all his hard work and epic dedication to doom 64 ce. It's really been an an amazing way to experience 64 and hope to see more of his work in the future 

I was talking to Death Bear the other day about the 12 Days of Doommas. We had both held the belief, that being a very old wad of ours, it wasn't a great example of some of our work. I would jokingly call it the 'funest and bestest' wad that we've ever made given the insane rules I made. I wanna give a very special thanks and shout out to @MtPain27 and @Doomkid for highlighting the positives of that wad and giving me and my fellow mappers a fresh and healthy perspective on the work that we've done.

I also want to selfishly talk exclusively about people I appreciate within the PUSS-C.

@Death Bear for his unending and ravenous enthusiasm for mapping.

@Peccatum Mihzamiz for his go2it attitude and inventiveness in both level design and community outreach.

@myolden for his incredible talent and soggy zombie voice.

@muumi for his ridiculously memorable maps (and the entire dis texture pack)

That one guy who's name I don't remember who called me an 8 year old.

@Jark for helping me start the zombie apocalypse

@Danlex for helping us keep our Heads Up.

@Austinado@Napsalm, @FrancisT218 for playing our projects RAW and UNCUT LIVE on websites where we can CHAT with them for FREE

@ViolentBeetle for the incredible megawads.

Hot Soapy Water for keeping my hands nice and clean

@Clippy for keeping my loose bunches of paper nice and clipped together.

@Weird Sandwich, @MemeMind, @Pierrot, @LateNightPerson, @DynamiteKaitorn, @notTyrone, @Walter confetti, and @MAN_WITH_GUN for their regular contributions to our PUSS-A (archive).

Edited by BluePineapple72

This year has been my best year so far when it comes to Doom Content, and I don't think I'd be doing what I do without the chunk of the community I can call mine.

I first want to thank @Egg Boy for starting up the whole "Squonker" project by inviting a group of people to a discord, those of which became my friends. I also appreciate their ability to create an eye-catching resource WAD that the squonker projects use as a base. Next I want to thank @AD_79 for providing an excellent soundtrack to many projects and inspiring me to hone my own skills for MIDI work. Their maps also blow my mind when it comes to their scale and level-design. I also want to thank @Bobby "J, @T.Will, @Skronkidonk, @Juza, @uber@DCG Retrowave, and @Yugiboy85 for not only working on the projects with me, but also just being a joy to talk to in VC. All of you have helped shaped my craft and have taught me so much about mapping. I also want to re-shoutout @uber, @AD_79, and @T.Will for helping with the resources that @Egg Boy provides with stuff like extended and edited textures, as well as Intermission, Title, and ENDOOM screens. Finally I want to thank the doom content creators I've watched throughout the year such as @Tarnsman for some entertaining streams and commentary. @MtPain27 for the Dean of Doom series which has been something I look forward to watching each time a new episode comes out. @EduardoAndFriends for creating the amazing "WAD Wrap Up" series. I also want to thank @Clippy, @sandwedge, and @Biodegradable for recording your playthroughs of people's creations. They are incredibly helpful in providing feedback as well as being incredibly entertaining.

On 12/31/2022 at 8:46 AM, staros96 said:

One of my first supporters. I've loved getting to know you in the last few months, you were one of the first few to warmly greet met and that has not been forgotten. I know I can ask you any question, any time, and it's very appreciated :D

Aww thanks! I've loved getting to know you too. I'm an open book on Doom stuff and general stuff, any time any place. I don't know as much as some here but I know enough. I keep meaning to check out some streams but I'm always so darn busy with work and our schedules aren't synced up. One day!

I want to thank @Nefelibeta for not only giving me (and a bunch of other incredibly talented mappers) the chance to map for Capybara, not only reviewing my levels when no one was playing them and inspiring me to create more, but also just being an amazing mapper in their own right. Between the Capybara contributions, Newt, and Disorder (among other things), he just keeps putting out amazing map after amazing map.

@Bauul et al for the awesome Micro Slaughter Community Project for finally getting me into Slaughter as well as doing a fantastic job of teaching players the basics of the genre.

@antares031 because Antaresian Legacy has become my go to comfort food wad. Seriously I've played it to completion like 4 times this year.

@Dragonfly since Eviternity was what originally got me to try Doom wads in the first place.

@mouldy for making the most delightfully whacky and absurd Dooming goodness imaginable.

@Ribbiks not only for the amazing maps, but also the incredible music. 

@Bri For just consistently making absolutely killer maps.

This thread has been great because it shows me a lot more of what people do in this community that I had no idea they did. Not just mapping, but community comtributions, streams, server maintenance, connections and support, tools, literally anything that needs doing, etc etc.

I will post my own list at some point.

@MtPain27 "TNT2 Devilution (I know it’s not done yet, but thanks folks)"

Can say that all but 4 maps are done and ready for some sort of beta release. Thanks for the encouragement. Much appreciated :)

Just wanted to say that I read through this thread and really appreciate the support and that people are enjoying the podcast. I really enjoy hearing about when/how people listen to the show (while they're doing laundry or driving to work etc.) as it makes it a much more tangible thing to appreciate.

For my own list I'd probably have to put @MtPain27 on there, for his insanely well-presented content and for being a great person to chat to on the podcast and off. Would have to put @SoBad out there as well as someone whose videos and Twitch stream I discovered more recently and have thoroughly enjoyed becoming acquainted with (support his monthly game project). 

decino for coming on the show and for the big signal boost I received from both him and MtPain to help my podcast and channel reach more people. @mouldy was also incredibly generous with his time with regards to the pod and his mapset Overboard was easily one of the Doom highlights of the year with its standout comedic set-pieces and attention to visual storytelling.

Anyway, thanks for listening to the podcast and enjoy the upcoming guests!

On 12/31/2022 at 4:31 AM, knifeworld said:

@Paf and @Death Bear for Full Moon 2, which I made my first MAP30 for.

Thanks for that, but I really don't feel like taking any credit here. Sure, I may have hosted the project at first, but I took too much and ended up delaying the project for way too long than I should have because I wasn't able to properly playtest every map on UV. I don't want to take any credit for what @Death Bear picked up, and finished.

(feel free to delete this since it's a little bit off-topic, just wanted to reply here)

I'd like to thank any and every person in the community who made something that they're proud of. I've been playing @Doomkid's maps lately and his personality really comes through in his work. Actually, I'd like to thank Doomkid in general for being a pillar of this community. I've never seen a community that has someone like Doomkid, a loyal member since childhood who created great things, who remains humble and treats people with fairness no matter their level of experience. Thanks buddy.

1 hour ago, Paf said:

Thanks for that, but I really don't feel like taking any credit here. Sure, I may have hosted the project at first, but I took too much and ended up delaying the project for way too long than I should have because I wasn't able to properly playtest every map on UV. I don't want to take any credit for what @Death Bear picked up, and finished.

(feel free to delete this since it's a little bit off-topic, just wanted to reply here)

TBF, life happens. And I appreciate not only your eagerness to run this project and to get it started, but to allow us to help you so that we could all share our maps as we originally intended in the finished product. You also compiled it, so that was actually a big help in getting it finished up.

On 1/6/2023 at 12:29 PM, EduardoAndFriends said:

Oh wow, thanks so much, @ZeMystic! It's been an absolute BLAST getting involved in this thriving, fertile community. I've longed to be part of something greater for quite some time, and the Doom Community is so friggin' welcoming and lovely. I've got so many ideas for this month already, let alone this year. 

I'd love to be involved in some group stuff at some point with people and have had some invites, so I'm bloody PUMPED for what's to come. ...

Gotta <3 dat enthusiasm. I'm almost envious.

no one in particular because i dont remember the names of the authors of the maps i played but i suppose everyone who made a map for doom is doing pretty good, even if it's crappy or unfinished or just for themselves and never published because they're keeping the spirit of the game alive and 4 all u know that latent talent for level-design may show up later in their lives

Well, when it comes to creators, I think it's reasonable to say that @Esperpento has created Doom Beneath one of the best replacements for Thy Flesh Consumed.

@Bri0che has built quite a few mapsets as of now.

@Clippy always brings some hilarious layouts for sure.

@KeaganDunn and his Shades of Azure mapset.

@Sectorslayer has also built a handful of interesting Doom 1 levels.

@The Royal We made the unique The Mauve Zone level.

Also incredible people I've met in these forums were @azerty @Floowand @Hitman @Pezl @Pistoolkip @SilentD00mer.

Edited by Astro X : ordered alphabetically

10 hours ago, Astro X said:

@Bri0che has built quite a few mapsets as of now.

Thank you Astro :)

You are also for sure an excellent Doom creator who I appreciate.