Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NinjaDelphox

Corruption - [35 Map MBF21 Megawad] - (Idgames Pending, Final Update(TM))

die blue key room in map01 is a pain in the ass and not in a good way. The big one in map02 is a bit better.

I noticed positively the ammo distribution is very on point even though I dont play with pistol start. The map design overall is very good, interesting but never leaving me lost. I'm not sure the whole re-coloring was necessary tho, the gfx and sfx are a bit hit and miss but welcome, it is what it is.. I also like the transitions between maps, nice idea.

I'm in map04 so far and I finally got it to run in PrBoom+ ;)

Edited by pampoo79

19 hours ago, pampoo79 said:

die blue key room in map01 is a pain in the ass and not in a good way. The big one in map02 is a bit better.

I noticed positively the ammo distribution is very on point even though I dont play with pistol start. The map design overall is very good, interesting but never leaving me lost. I'm not sure the whole re-coloring was necessary tho, the gfx and sfx are a bit hit and miss but welcome, it is what it is.. I also like the transitions between maps, nice idea.

I'm in map04 so far and I finally got it to run in PrBoom+ ;)

Do you mean DSDA? This shouldn't run in older PrBoom+ plus, but interesting if it does without crashing. Hope you have fun! Map 04 is one of my favorites.

1 minute ago, NinjaDelphox said:

Do you mean DSDA? This shouldn't run in older PrBoom+ plus, but interesting if it does without crashing. Hope you have fun! Map 04 is one of my favorites.

it runs in PrBoom-Plus 2.6.1um-1. I'm in Map08 now, the maps are getting even better, this is one wad to keep for the collection

30 minutes ago, pampoo79 said:

it runs in PrBoom-Plus 2.6.1um-1. I'm in Map08 now, the maps are getting even better, this is one wad to keep for the collection

So I did a bit of testing and it somewhat works, but all of the MBF21 codepointers do not, so a lot of things you should have seen already have not been working. I highly recommend switching to DSDA because later maps will not be able to function at all without them. It's basically just PrBoom+ UM but better.

2 hours ago, NinjaDelphox said:

So I did a bit of testing and it somewhat works, but all of the MBF21 codepointers do not, so a lot of things you should have seen already have not been working. I highly recommend switching to DSDA because later maps will not be able to function at all without them. It's basically just PrBoom+ UM but better.

yeah it seems I missed quite some trickery. Is there a way to enable manual vertical aiming in DSDA though? Free look lets you look freely but the weapons still auto aim..

On 1/20/2023 at 8:27 PM, pampoo79 said:

yeah it seems I missed quite some trickery. Is there a way to enable manual vertical aiming in DSDA though? Free look lets you look freely but the weapons still auto aim..

Yeah, you also need to enable the Allow vertical aiming option (6th page under Mapping error fixes on Options -> General).

11 hours ago, Andromeda said:

Yeah, you also need to enable the Allow vertical aiming option (6th page under Mapping error fixes on Options -> General).

Wow am I blind? I swear I went through all the settings multiple times on multiple occasions. I'm glad this exists. Thank you

Edited by pampoo79

There's another small update! There's been some small changes to Map 29, and Map 21 and alternate 21 have also received some visual/gameplay changes. Alternate 21 is also now much harder than the regular version. Download the update from the OP!

Bumping to mention that there has been a minor update, just some texture fixes for Map 1 and 29. Map 11 has also been made a little easier on Normal, and what was there originally on normal has been moved to Xtreme. 

Yet another small update, fixed the exit lines for Alternate Map 22 being in the wrong spot, and regular Map 22 is also now harder than it originally was (22A remains as the easy version). In all ports, The alternate versions are called 21A and 22A on the automap. In DSDA and Eternity they are still in the 36 and 37 slot, but in ZDoom they are 21A and 22A Map lumps. There has also been some smaller fixes for other maps but I can't exactly remember what they are.

As for an update on Map 34 progress, it has been a bit slow, Arsinikk is currently taking a break from mapping so it might be a while still. I have been working on it a little and it's about 50ish% of the way there.

Weird that this mapset did not work on Zandrum 'with the patches', but only without the patches?

What do the patches do and is there a problem when not using them, with Zandronum?

Gonna try for now without the patches, looks promising.

19 hours ago, grrfield said:

Weird that this mapset did not work on Zandrum 'with the patches', but only without the patches?

What do the patches do and is there a problem when not using them, with Zandronum?

Gonna try for now without the patches, looks promising.

The Zandronum/old ZDoom patch is currently unfinished. It'll be ready when Map 34 is done, for now I recommend just using DSDA or GZDoom. Corruption won't run properly on Zandronum without the patches.

Well it's been a while, but there's finally a new update! Map 34 isn't quite ready just yet, but progress is being made. There's been a few fixes and changes to a couple maps, as well as the dehacked and a some graphics. The decorate and Zandronum patches are still currently not fully on par with the dehacked just yet, as new things are being added for Map 34 that need to be ironed out in dehacked before they get decorate equivalents. Some of the new additions include an Arachnotron gib animation, and burning barrels are now actually harmful when very close to them. I've also started working on developer commentary for all of the maps and the inspirations behind the project overall, so that should be posted sometime soon! Download the update from the OP.

Yet another update without Map 34 (Getting old I'm sure, it'll arrive sometime this year lol), this time it's a couple graphics and map fixes, along with a new boss in Map 33! This boss is basically a proto-type for the 'Dark Souls' style bosses that will be in Corruption 2 when that comes out in like 10 years, also makes Map 33 make a little more sense in the story. Another important fix was also added to 33, allowing it to be beaten on nomo like every other map, this was missing in all previous versions and has finally been fixed. Download from the OP and have fun!

Dang every time I hope the new update includes the final map and it just don't :(

You'll get there eventually, guys! I'm super excited to play your megawad!

10 hours ago, NinjaDelphox said:

This boss is basically a proto-type for the 'Dark Souls' style bosses that will be in Corruption 2 when that comes out in like 10 years

Nice!

Well, it's been quite a while, but RC2 is finally here! There's a ton of cool changes that have been added, including (A) Map 34! Now I say "a" Map 34, because as you will notice from the screenshots, it is quite different from the original teaser screenshots earlier in the thread. That collab map with Arsinikk and I is still coming, but it will be used for something else, so still look forward to that!

Contains spoilers for some maps and secrets

Now, to the new stuff! Obviously, Map 34 is here! Accessed from the secret exit in Map 28, it's a quite large but highly action packed map in the style of Odyssey of Noises! Along with that, we have quite a few positive improvements for other maps, along with some cool new graphics and dehacked changes! For example, the ending of Map 17 has received a big visual upgrade, and now also has a music change to boot! Map 27 has been nerfed a little, with ghost venemous cacos being entirely removed from the first section, and ghost arch viles having their health cut to only 100. Many other maps have minor balance or visual changes, but nothing too major.

As for graphics changes, @Arsinikk has made an amazing new M_Doom menu! This replaces the basic one that I had put together with the metal textures, and is much cooler! Arch Viles also now resurrect enemies with a purple glow instead of the traditional red as well. A fix has been made to the invulnerability palette in the colormap so that the dark purple colors change correctly. A lot of GLDEFS and ZDoom/GZDoom related fixes have finally been implemented as well! Speaking of ZDoom, there's now a fully standalone version of Corruption for ZDoom 2.8.1 and Zandronum! This allows people on those ports to play this finally, and also allows multiplayer at last! (Odamex is still pretty far from functional for this unfortunately) This version is only to be used for those ports, as it will break on everything else (Besides GZDoom technically, but it is recommended to use the standard version for GZDoom) Eternity has also had the Cast call at the end of the game expanded to feature Map 33's boss like in ZDoom.

Also now included in the download and wads are text files of the developer commentary! It's a lot of pretty short write ups about the history of development for maps and other random trivia about the game.

Make sure to download from the OP and try out the new map! Thanks to everyone so much for playing!

Screenshots:

Spoiler

doom27.png
doom28.png
doom29.png
doom30.png
doom31.png

Hello there! Found some weird issue when playing this wad on GZDoom 4.10.0, when I grab the chainsaw or Plasma Rifle it doesn't fill the correct slot and disapear if I swap to another weapon. In map 04, for example there's a plasma gun at the start but I loose the weapon when I grab a shotgun or chaingun. This does not happen in DSDA-DOOM. Compatibility in GZDoom is set to default, but I also tried in MBF and MBF Strict with the same result. Any idea what's going on or I'm doing something wrong? BTW, congrats for such amazing megawad, really loving the atmosphere and gameplay. o/

Edited by Auron

2 hours ago, Auron said:

Hello there! Found some weird issue when playing this wad on GZDoom 4.10.0, when I grab the chainsaw or Plasma Rifle it doesn't fill the correct slot and disapear if I swap to another weapon. In map 04, for example there's a plasma gun at the start but I loose the weapon when I grab a shotgun or chaingun. This does not happen in DSDA-DOOM. Compatibility in GZDoom is set to default, but I also tried in MBF and MBF Strict with the same result. Any idea what's going on or I'm doing something wrong? BTW, congrats for such amazing megawad, really loving the atmosphere and gameplay. o/

Thanks so much for the bug report! I just uploaded the fix, when I added the decorate code for the weapons last night I had no idea you have to redefine the weapon slot number even if you inherit from the vanilla weapon (Which I think is really stupid tbh lol), so I added the relevant code and it's fixed now!

Really glad you're enjoying the wad! 

Unrelated, but love Auron, 4th favorite FF character lol

13 hours ago, NinjaDelphox said:

Thanks so much for the bug report! I just uploaded the fix, when I added the decorate code for the weapons last night I had no idea you have to redefine the weapon slot number even if you inherit from the vanilla weapon (Which I think is really stupid tbh lol), so I added the relevant code and it's fixed now!

Really glad you're enjoying the wad! 

Unrelated, but love Auron, 4th favorite FF character lol

Thank you so much for the fix! Working like a charm now. I made my way to map 11 and no problems so far. Keep it up the great work!

And yes, Auron is my fav character in the FF series. <3

Been waiting for this to drop!

Playing on Xtreme (GZDoom 4.10.0), because I enjoy pain.

Map 1: sector 183 teleporter with two archies and a rev is broken. You might want to consider elongating the closet a bit, that should solve the problem. Secrets were fairly easy to find, got all five. Died once, in the large outdoors area with the blue key, because I ran into a fucking stump lmao. Good stuff so far, gameplay is a wee bit claustrophobic, but I'm already aware of the bigass areas with bigass fights that are to come in the future maps. Also, I'm reading along the dev commentary - I am aware you've improved quite a bit since this was one of your first maps, ig the contrast in quality will grow larger as I progress through the mapset.

Do secret exits go 15 => 31 => 32 => 33 and 28 => 34 => 35 btw?

I will edit this comment for the next five maps or so. Hope you guys aren't in a rush to get the idgames release out the door as I'll be playing this over the course of next couple months. I will try to xtreme max every map.

Also, also, unrelated, but Yuna was my first childhood crush lol

Map 2: Starts off weak because you're just clearing corridor after corridor, which can be a bit tedious, but once you get the blue key, the map gets super fun. Two telefrag secrets outside, one for the spider momma and the other for an unsuspecting manc. Didn't die once, got all the kills and secrets.

Map 3: This was a ton of fun! The final area with revs, archies, and hks killed me three times, because THE FUCKING LOST SOULS kept getting in the way, so I kept facerocketing myself in the worst possible moments. Just want to add, I am LOVING the crunchy sound effects and the music selection. Really gets you pumped! Got all the kills and secrets here no problemo btw. Blue armor required some weird platforming, which I initially didn't think possible, but my bhop knowledge came in handy (I know you aren't supposed to jump, you just have to change directions midair as your strafe across on to the crate).

Map 4: Plasma rifle level! Overall great, but I do feel it could benefit a bit from verticality and more mixing in terms of encounters. Right now it's all about clearing large square-ish rooms of mobs and I think a little variety to spice up things up would be nice.

Map 5: Didn't really like this one. There were no standout areas or fights and even texturing seemed a bit amateurish to me. I hope I don't sound too harsh here lol

Edited by Firedust

Why can't I select the hardest difficulty? It just says "corrupted" in the difficulty selection menu and when selected says "you are literally not beating this, go back to the menu now".

27 minutes ago, Firedust said:

Been waiting for this to drop!

Playing on Xtreme (GZDoom 4.10.0), because I enjoy pain.

Map 1: sector 183 teleporter with two archies and a rev is broken. You might want to consider elongating the closet a bit, that should solve the problem. Secrets were fairly easy to find, got all five. Died once, in the large outdoors area with the blue key, because I ran into a fucking stump lmao. Good stuff so far, gameplay is a wee bit claustrophobic, but I'm already aware of the bigass areas with bigass fights that are to come in the future maps. Also, I'm reading along the dev commentary - I am aware you've improved quite a bit since this was one of your first maps, ig the contrast in quality will grow larger as I progress through the mapset.

Do secret exits go 15 => 31 => 32 => 33 and 28 => 34 => 35 btw?

I will edit this comment for the next five maps or so. Hope you guys aren't in a rush to get the idgames release out the door as I'll be playing this over the course of next couple months. I will try to xtreme max every map.

Also, also, unrelated, but Yuna was my first childhood crush lol

I'd actually recommend playing on "Normal" and use the solo-net parameter so that the spawns happens correctly. GZDoom's "Spawnmulti" flag in ZMapinfo doesn't read the Boom multiplayer flags and will spawn enemies that shouldn't be there. I've tried looking for ways to get around that with ACS and other things but I am not familiar enough with ZDoom stuff to know how to do that. If I can't find a solution so that the difficulty directly works I'll probably remove it before idgames, which we are also currently in no rush to do, but I'd currently consider every map final unless something broken is found.

Secret exits go 15 => 33 => 31 => 32, then 28 => 34 => 35. (Exit to 31 from 33 is guaranteed)

Spoiler

Also this is just gonna turn into a FF thread lmfao, I love Yuna so much, my favorite character of all time, Caius and Serah are my 2nd and 3rd favorites. FFX is my favorite game, map 29 of Corruption is named after the first area you go to in Spira lol.

11 minutes ago, nobleflame said:

Why can't I select the hardest difficulty? It just says "corrupted" in the difficulty selection menu and when selected says "you are literally not beating this, go back to the menu now".

"Corrupted" is Nightmare, you would have to press Y to start the game with it (Same for Xtreme currently), "Normal" is the actual Ultra Violence equivalent.

16 minutes ago, NinjaDelphox said:

"Corrupted" is Nightmare, you would have to press Y to start the game with it (Same for Xtreme currently), "Normal" is the actual Ultra Violence equivalent.

Interesting. I’m using DSDA and loaded the wad with sprite fixing project and colorectal blood wads. In the difficulty menu, it only showed three options (easy, medium, hard)  + corrupted. The first option (I’m assuming easiest) wasn’t visible but was selectable. 

Could it be that the wad doesn’t like additional fix wads (like sprite fix / blood)?

10 minutes ago, nobleflame said:

Interesting. I’m using DSDA and loaded the wad with sprite fixing project and colorectal blood wads. In the difficulty menu, it only showed three options (easy, medium, hard)  + corrupted. The first option (I’m assuming easiest) wasn’t visible but was selectable. 

Could it be that the wad doesn’t like additional fix wads (like sprite fix / blood)?

On Every port except GZDoom, that difficulty is intentionally invisible, and it's just I'm to Young to Die. On GZDoom it is not selectable at all due to the fact it would make the difficulty menu extend off the background with the inclusion of Xtreme. 

I would not recommend using any sprite or blood fixes, we already have our own stuff implemented in that regard (SSG flash frame, some Revenant and Arachnotron stuff etc.) and every monster already has their own unique blood color. Because nearly every sprite is replaced, it would probably cause a lot of conflicts and make things look strange.

49 minutes ago, NinjaDelphox said:

On Every port except GZDoom, that difficulty is intentionally invisible, and it's just I'm to Young to Die. On GZDoom it is not selectable at all due to the fact it would make the difficulty menu extend off the background with the inclusion of Xtreme. 

I would not recommend using any sprite or blood fixes, we already have our own stuff implemented in that regard (SSG flash frame, some Revenant and Arachnotron stuff etc.) and every monster already has their own unique blood color. Because nearly every sprite is replaced, it would probably cause a lot of conflicts and make things look strange.

Thank you, mate. Looking forward to playing this!

Decided to stick with Xtrem, beat the first five levels - comments on those are in the post above.

I will edit this post for comments on maps 6-10. First though, there is something I'd like to ask - how much exactly did you mod the monsters? Do their projectiles do more damage? Are they faster? What happens when monsters get bloodshot eyes? What does the blood-red rev rocket do? I'm asking about these things because combat is pretty intense and it would probably be better to get answers from you guys, aka the authors, than try to figure things out on my own, because my perception may be twisted due to the colour palette.

FF X is my favourite FF, played it a lot as a kid when it released - graphics were mindblowing at the time. My only criticism of it is the grindy nature of limit breaks. Rest is top notch.

Map 06: BFG spamfest in narrow corridors. Texturing felt amateurish except the outside areas and the corridors had too much meat in them but thankfully the BFG made the cleanup job significantly easier. Found all three secrets, got killed once by the cyb - damn their rockets are fast now. I've read up on the changes you guys implemented for the revamped monsters and thought they were great! Definitely something that separates this wad from the rest. I haven't looked at the new monsters yet, because I don't want to ruin the surprise for myself. First chapter done!

Map 07: Very fun map! Wish I'd found the secret earlier because that would've made my life A LOT easier. Died four times, because I couldn't see incoming projectiles from behind the overgrowth hanging from the ceiling.

Map 08: Ah, yes, finally, we get to fight a new(ish) enemy - Corruption's version of the astral caco from Eviternity. Still as annoying as ever lol. Had a good time with this map, but only found the backpack secret at the very end, because I never spotted that shootable switch.

Map 09: Once again, wasn't fond of texturing and layout. At this point, I feel I can identify which maps are ND's and which are EN's :p

Map 10: Nice little breather map, except combat is harder than it has any right to be because of the purple slime, which really reduces the amount of real state player has when RL'ing the f out of incoming high-tier monsters. Also, say hello to a new Hell Knight variant. Comes across as a pushover until he decides to have a quick boxing session with you. First time he charged at me, I screamed at the screen lmao

Edited by Firedust

@Firedust I have added all the changed/New enemies to a new section in the OP, I hope those answer your questions :) If you want more in-depth and exact numbers I can provide those if requested as well.

Thank you for the info! Will edit this post for maps 11-15. I have another question. Why do monsters function as infinitely tall despite the fact that I've disabled the option in GZDoom settings?

Map 11: This was the first Evilneck map I've enjoyed from start to finish. Due to the problems with infinite height, the final fight was a real bitch, because you're given very little space and with the monsters teleporting around, everything becomes incredibly confusing. After 8 deaths, I managed to beat this fight and I've no idea how lol. It will definitely be A LOT easier with infinite height properly disabled as recommended by the mapset's authors.

Map 12: Once again, a fun Evilneck map! The modded monsters really work in favour of the combat and flow as even experienced players simply can't afford to be as careless as they are used to, because the sped up projectiles will slaughter them in no time. For the record, I tried playing a regular Doom 2 wad afterwards, and everything felt like it was in slow motion lol. I do feel that map 11 should've been the episode closer because of how ballbustingly difficult it is compared to all the other levels so far. Episode 2 done!

Map 13: Thy Flesh Consumed style? Secrets took me a while to find and combat was straightforward except maybe that yellow skull key room. One thing I'd like to note that may pose a problem for some players is that key weapons are sorta hard to find and picking the wrong path would mean you are screwed for good.

Map 14: For a second, I thought this was an Armadosia reference (an old Doom 2 megawad). Combat was pretty similar as well, but once I reached the final area, the name made sense. Fairly lax map, especially considering how generous the author is with ammo. Thank you, author! Couldn't figure out how to get the cell pack secret behind the nukage fall, got the rest. Zero deaths here!

Map 15: This was a superb map! The secret switch hunt is good fun and the fights are well orchestrated. @Arsinikk did a great job with keeping the experience fresh throughout the level's duration.
https://prnt.sc/yq1Ipvdc-pjg - some of these arachnotron teleporter closets are bugged, making 100% kills impossible.
The only downside I feel this map has is that it's such a massive outlier, it practically begs the secret map slot.

Onto the first secret cluster then!

Edited by Firedust