Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scott231ca

Zdoom Message Editing

I would be grateful if someone could pleae tell me how to edit the MAPINFO or messages using Zdoom as I have heard. Or you could just give me a site if you please.

http://zdoom.notgod.com/reference/mapinfo.html

Which is part of the Zdoom editing reference

http://zdoom.notgod.com/reference/

on the Zdoom page

http://zdoom.notgod.com/

The editing reference is still only up to date for editing Version 1.22. There hasn't been too much stuff added to MAPINFO that you need to know about. There were a couple of things that didn't work in 1.22 that work now (double skies come to mind) but I can't think of much else ATM.

Hopefully the new version of Zdoom will be finalised very soon.

There should be new documentation to go with it, either as part of, or very soon after the release.

Edit: Ahh! you beat me Epyo :-)

scott231ca said:

Enjay what WOULD I do without you on this particular subject? Did you invent ZDoom or something?

Heh, Im sure someone else would have helped. I just wish I had the skills to "invent" Zdoom. That's all down to Randy Heit.

I've read the Zdoom editing page, but how exactly do I edit the stuff. It never said how on the reference pages. Do I need a program other than Zdoom?

scott231ca said:

I've read the Zdoom editing page, but how exactly do I edit the stuff. It never said how on the reference pages. Do I need a program other than Zdoom?

I assume you mean how do you edit the MAPINFO lump. It's a text file that you can create outside of ZDooM and simply insert using a program such as DeepSea, XWE, or WinTex.

Yeah, and you won't find a MAPINFO in doom2.wad or Zdoom.wad. Zdoom has an "internal" MAPINFO (sort of) coded into the EXE to tell it how to deal with the doom levels. So, you just create your mapinfo, with only the entries you need. Stick it in your WAD and Zdoom uses it to modify what in "knows" about the levels. So, if your MAPINFO only changes sky, music and whatever else for MAP01, then that's all that will be changed, and all you need to put in your mapinfo.

Edit:

Just to test, try copying and pasting the following into a text file called mapinfo.txt. You can then stick it in a wad, or simply load it with Zdoom -file mapinfo.txt

map MAP01 "Test01"
next MAP30
sky1 SKY2 0
par 400
music D_ROMERO

That changes MAP01 to be called Test01 instead of "Entryway", changes the sky to sky2, the music is also changed. When you hit the exit button, you will be taken to map 32, but not before being told the par for the level was 6 minutes 40 seconds. :-)

Thanks again Enjay. You too Rex. Geezz... I would have never figured that out without you too. Now I can make the Cyberdemon army even better! Thanks Much!

Now I only have 1 more question! How do you change the intermission text in the game. I know how to turn intermissions on and off, but I'm unsure how to change their text. I'm also having a small problem with my edited levels. It seems to show the intermission storyline text before I start any of my edited levels. WHAT IS HAPPENING TO IT?!?!?!?!

Put this in your mapinfo, changing it as appropriate:

clusterdef 5
flat SLIME16
music D_READ_M
exittext "YOU HAVE ENTERED DEEPLY INTO THE INFESTED
STARPORT. BUT SOMETHING IS WRONG. THE
MONSTERS HAVE BROUGHT THEIR OWN REALITY
WITH THEM, AND THE STARPORT'S TECHNOLOGY
IS BEING SUBVERTED BY THEIR PRESENCE.

AHEAD, YOU SEE AN OUTPOST OF HELL, A
FORTIFIED ZONE. IF YOU CAN GET PAST IT,
YOU CAN PENETRATE INTO THE HAUNTED HEART
OF THE STARBASE AND FIND THE CONTROLLING
SWITCH WHICH HOLDS EARTH'S POPULATION
HOSTAGE."

I have a zdoom related question. (didn't feel like making a whole new thread)
Isn't v1.17 basically the same as hexen as in specials, linedefs, acs, and things and stuff?

Ultimate DooMer said:

Put this in your mapinfo, changing it as appropriate:

clusterdef 5
flat SLIME16
music D_READ_M
exittext "YOU HAVE ENTERED DEEPLY INTO THE INFESTED
STARPORT. BUT SOMETHING IS WRONG. THE
MONSTERS HAVE BROUGHT THEIR OWN REALITY
WITH THEM, AND THE STARPORT'S TECHNOLOGY
IS BEING SUBVERTED BY THEIR PRESENCE.

AHEAD, YOU SEE AN OUTPOST OF HELL, A
FORTIFIED ZONE. IF YOU CAN GET PAST IT,
YOU CAN PENETRATE INTO THE HAUNTED HEART
OF THE STARBASE AND FIND THE CONTROLLING
SWITCH WHICH HOLDS EARTH'S POPULATION
HOSTAGE."

This doesn't seem to work. It did absolutly nothing. What could be wrong with it. It camplained a couple of times, but then it SEEMED to work but the message doesn't even start.

2 more things you need to do/consider. You need to tell Zdoom which cluster you map is in. The example you were given defines cluster 5, so put the line

cluster 5

In the definition for your map. I would actually recommend not using cluster 5 for a stand alone map, however, The way Doom2 is set up internally is that the first few maps are in cluster 5. The exit text message only gets shown when you exit a cluster and move on to the next one. By exiting map01 and moving on to map02 you won't have left cluster 5. Try having clusterdef 1 and cluster 1 instead.

Of course, if your map isn't taking you to map02, but to an end of game or something, then you should get the message with any cluster definition.

I'll give this a try. I hope it works. By the by, my map 13 for the cyberdemon army known as the Sewage Station is 4/6 done! Now I only have the last two pages of the plotted level to do. If you would like me to put a demo version of the wad here just tell me.

If you are still having problems ironing out the creases in your MAPINFO, you can send it to me, perhaps with an explanation of what you want it to achieve if it isn't obvious. Should only take a few minutes to sort it out. ( enjay001@hotmail.com )

And yeah, stick a demo up somewhere. Be nice to get a proper idea of what you're doing.