Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xaser

[WIP] Sacrilege - Heretic "Remix" Project

Going to pop a vein if I see another ':P' emote but, aside from that, looks interesting. Curious to see what made the cut. 

9 hours ago, Xaser said:

Q: Are you gonna make it so Ice Grotto doesn't have ice directly next to lava?
A: Hell naw. Changing that actually would be sacrilege. :P

This was my only concern. Thank you keeping the greatness of Ice Grotto intact.

16 minutes ago, baja blast rd. said:

This is cool.

xqIVAY5.png

Please resize, it's too big to make it my pfp.   

Finally, Heretic with more than 3 textures!
The after pics are looking really nice, although I kinda prefer the original sand texture contrasted against the blue water on Portals of Chaos.

I do hope 'Fates Path' gets to be a full episode in the 'expansion' ;p

I've always wanted someone to complete that.

Xaser? Aaaaaaaaaand Heretic? Together?

I think I just made my first new years resolution.

OG heretic e1m4 was looking like a Xasermap with all circles and clean layout. Now we can see actual Xasermaps in Heretic. Hooray! 

I am not a huge fan of Wayfarer's tome, it's "ballance" makes Heretic even more like DooM reskin than it was before. But otherwise I look forward to this.

Sweet! I have mixed feelings about Heretic as well, so I am definitely going to keep an eye on this project.

Especially if it is at the very least on par with The Lost Episode! :D

oh, neat, right as i start playing heretic for the first time ever

can't wait to see what comes of this!!

15 hours ago, Thelokk said:

Going to pop a vein if I see another ':P' emote but, aside from that, looks interesting. Curious to see what made the cut. 

Xaser's a total nerd unfortunately....you may have figured that out from his nirvana interview....

Belated thanks, y'all! Taking me a bit longer than expected to get the first (er, second... no wait, third) episode ready for release 'cause there's yet another Heretic project that's been eating a bunch of my attention -- more on that later I guess? WTF I'm dual wielding.

re: maps making the cut or not, the maplist is in the OP for those who don't mind the spoilers. Fate's Path itself would've been a tricky one to try and turn into a theme since it really did feel like a series of outtakes (one proper map, one doom reskin, and a gimmicky 4th-wall-breaker), but they'll all show up somewhere if I ever get around to the expansion and one of the maps was cool enough to make it into the set proper, so there's that at least. :P

Anyhow, while I'm here, have some more screenshots of Ice Grotto:

kDEr8yBm.pngBomFx2Jm.png
ZQuXeTim.pngLBAlAtdm.png
2j4AL22m.pngaDhIqPXm.png

This was a fun one to work on -- it's arguably the most iconic map from Hell's Maw, but its construction is frankly rather primitive. Certainly not short on cool ideas though, so it was fun to work with, though I did go pretty ham with the ending of the level to try and make the secret exit a bit more interesting than just a random hole in the wall (and up the cool factor of the famous "eye room").

Relatedly, here's automap screenshot showing off the aforementioned greeble -- forgive the Doom colors; the editor's not called Ultimate Heretic Builder, I guess. :P

WAtPE2G.png

As someone who hates Heretic and has no water in this discussion, neat!

I think this looks more like Hexen than a "Remastered Heretic" but that's a-okay by me because I love Hexen.

It's kinda hard to muck with Heretic without infringing on Hexen's territory since the games share so much DNA, but I'm trying to avoid using Hexen textures for the most part, since a lot of Heretic projects simply just pull in Hexen's graphics and turn the aesthestic into a sort of generic "Raven mush". Though I say that and a few snuck in anyhow -- those twisty skull columns were hard to resist. :P

That said, yeah, at a very basic level if you were to give Heretic's mappers a bunch more textures and go "hey make some new stuff"... you'd get exactly Hexen. :P

13 hours ago, Xaser said:

That said, yeah, at a very basic level if you were to give Heretic's mappers a bunch more textures and go "hey make some new stuff"... you'd get exactly Hexen. :P

Nah, to get Hexen you need to also ask them to make the gameplay about 25% plinking away at hitsponges, 75% switch-hunting, and also to be sure to reduce the pacing to about 1% of Heretic's speed.

13 hours ago, Xaser said:

since a lot of Heretic projects simply just pull in Hexen's graphics and turn the aesthestic into a sort of generic "Raven mush".

Shadowcaster's too. And why not, I love Raven mush; it's delicious. They had a very distinctive pixel art style back then, which I find just looks great.