Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Corpserat150

"Save map into" button deletes one of my maps.

I used the save map into button and saved to test it out. It deleted the first map, and when I opened it up in SLADE 3, there was only one map.

I spent about a month working on it and really can't afford to lose it. If there is a way to fix this or you have this problem, please let me know. 

Using DBX wouldn't have helped in this case, because that also overwrites existing maps without asking for confirmation. UDB (and the rest of the GZDB family) does ask for confirmation.

Anyway, it should have made backups when saving the map, so there should be files like yourwad.wad.backupX. You can just remove the .backupX from the name and open them again. So if you didn't save a bunch of times after using "save into" the old map should still be there.

If that doesn't help you could also check out

Otherwise I'm afraid that you're pretty much screwed if you don't have other backups.

13 minutes ago, boris said:

Using DBX wouldn't have helped in this case, because that also overwrites existing maps without asking for confirmation.

It actually does, but when you use Save As instead of Save Into. Corpserat150 has very likely made the mistake of giving both maps the same name, which save into will end up replacing without confirmation. Either that or clicked Save As by mistake and ignored the overwrite warning.

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

It actually does, but when you use Save As instead of Save Into.

That "save as" asks for confirmation doesn't change the fact that "save into" doesn't. "Save as" completely overwrites the file, so you'd not want to use that in the first place if you just wanted to add a map to an existing file.

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

Corpserat150 has very likely made the mistake of giving both maps the same name, which save into will end up replacing without confirmation. Either that or clicked Save As by mistake and ignored the overwrite warning.

Quite possible. Looking a bit more into it brings up another problem: if you change the map slot and then use "save into" it'll remove the map for that old slot in the existing WAD. I.e.:

1. Have a WAD with a MAP01
  2. Start a new map as MAP01
  3. In the map options change the map to MAP02
  4. Use "save into" on the WAD that contains MAP01
  5. Result: MAP01 is gone, you only have MAP02

This is obviously very unexpected. It might be advisable to not use the "save into" function in DB2/DBX at all, unless you really know what you're doing. UDB doesn't show this behavior.

The best way to manage multi-map WADs is DoomMake, anyway :)