Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

bad bios

well my laptop decides to die after 8 months of use. apon a reboot it asks for the boot password, i put in the password to get "wrong password". so they i was thinking i just typed it in wrong and tried agian. same deal. I check to see if caps is on, nope not on. this time i type very slowly. damn it! still "wrong password" and then it goes to disable system. This time i turn it off an wait 10 minutes before i try agian with the same results. so naturaly i guess 1 of or both of 2 things has gone bad.
1. the CMOS battery is failing, thus currupting the information. however i have only had it for 8 months, and i have had CMOS batteries over 10 years old still running strong.
2. the system BIOS is fubar and needs replaced, meaing the whole mainboard may need replaced. this is the best guess due to the fact that compaq is crap. so if it is a bad BIOS i am getting my money back and trying a different brand.

Bad Bois, Bad Bois, whatcha'gonna do --- What'cha gonna do when they come 4 U....

PostHell, here I come. =P

Arioch said:

And here I thought the era of old bad hardware posts from Sephiroth had passed ...

You were wrong Arioch, Dead Wrong bwhahahahahahah :P

No, it seems like reasonably new bad hardware to me. Of course in Compaq's or any company's eyes, the only defect is that it didn't just outlast the warrently.

http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?source=PS020729_CW01.xml&dt=3

shit!! so i got to open it up and manualy clear the CMOS. i could take it in because it is under warrenty. however i need to use it and i am not going to wait 4 weeks just to clear the god damn CMOS. does anyone know of a site that can give instructions on takeing apart the presario series laptops?

It's a fairly simple operation on a regular computer tower, but I haven't messed with many laptops, so I'm not sure how you'd go about doing it.

open it buy unscrewing everysingle screw you can find. put it back togeathe rin the same order you took it apart. that ususally works for me.
heh

ususally the mainscrews are identified by little arrows. sometimes you have to take the whole damn thing apart befor you see something to clear the cmos, so get ready for a long hunt.