Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dieting Hippo

[BOOM] The Diseases, and Casualties this year being 1632 (11 Maps) v1.1

I made some of this.  You should still play this wad in spite of that!  A few of these maps might surprise you, both in pleasant and very, very unpleasant ways.

It's so strange. Something Awful is clearly not into regular CPs like /vr/ and the concept is quite...original, to say the least, like Abyssal Speedmapping Sessions on acid. Seems kind of like an excuse to put down flesh everywhere as much as anything, but in any case, give this more attention! That's all I can say!

lmd_diseases.zip

10 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

It's so strange. Something Awful is clearly not into regular CPs like /vr/ and the concept is quite...original, to say the least, like Abyssal Speedmapping Sessions on acid. Seems kind of like an excuse to put down flesh everywhere as much as anything, but in any case, give this more attention! That's all I can say!

lmd_diseases.zip

Thanks for playing and for the kind words! I gave the demos a watch, that was great progress made in MAP02 and MAP03. MAP04 was a short run, that one's a rough one on the first blind playthrough though. (but then again, they're all pretty brutal going in blind haha)

Interesting concept. Had time to play the first couple of maps. The second took me a while, I didn't realise there were lifts for the red and blue key switches. The red key also seemed like it was a secret, I only found it because I had the automap. I like the usage of archviles in map02, the first encounter with the two viles and the bunch of lost souls is quite clever. The lost souls add a surprising amount of pressure, mostly by getting in your face and making it difficult to dodge the vile blasts.

FDAs for the first two maps (I died stupidly early in map02, but beat it on my second try).

tdac_fda.zip

Ive played through the first four lvls. Fun little challeging maps so far. As already stated, devious ideas. Definately gunna finish this up. Thanks to all the creators.

I finished these up today and im really glad i did. There was some good stuff in here and some really interesting concepts and designs. Special shout out to LeschNyhan. His were by far my favorites in the set and im going to be searching for more of his maps. Im considering doing a lvl by lvl review, i wrote notes on each of them and I'm trying to document more of what i play. I'll let you know if i do and maybe it will garner more attention for your work. Thanks again for making this.

Thanks for the reviews and replays y'all! I've been enjoying watching and reading everything, and it's been very heartening to see the pack get well received.

And on that, there's now an update! v1.1 has a few bugfixes and one fight rebalance, the full changelist is up in the original post and included with the v1.1 zipfile. Unfortunately it'll be a few days before idgames updates, but the itch.io page has the updated version. Please feel free to give the updated maps another go, or if you haven't played it yet it's a good time to try it now!

Please make sure that you're getting v1.1.  The title and credits screen will say "1.1" on them.  I promise that the end of map 3 sucks a lot less.  If you've already played that, give 03 a replay.  Most of the other maps haven't changed.

About halfway through and really enjoying this! I love the themes and reading them in the levels. MAP06 in particular had lots of tense moments and a nice groove to go with them.

For what it's worth, MAP08 and 11 don't load in Eternity Engine because they seem to be compressed ZDBSP. This Github issue says Eternity doesn't support compressed ZDBSP but another WAD had some update to "fix" the issue. Eternity does support uncompressed ZDBSP per one of the devs. Is this possible to fix or maybe not worth the effort? I'm totally out of my depth with this stuff.

Edited by pantheon

1 hour ago, pantheon said:

For what it's worth, MAP08 and 11 don't load in Eternity Engine because they seem to be compressed ZDBSP. This Github issue says Eternity doesn't support compressed ZDBSP but another WAD had some update to "fix" the issue. Eternity does support uncompressed ZDBSP per one of the devs. Is this possible to fix or maybe not worth the effort? I'm totally out of my depth with this stuff.

I tested in PRBoom+, DSDA, and GZDoom.  I didn't test in Eternity engine, and frankly I don't know the first thing about it. 

I'll try rebuilding the maps using a different node builder. 

edit:  Still crashing EE.  I don't know what the problem is.

Edited by A.o.D.

Yeah, this is primarily meant for Boom and EE wasn't tested for this map pack. We'll try to get out a fix but right now we're still hitting the issue in testing when trying out some potential fixes. You will be sure to know when it's done and fixed though!

For anyone that's more knowledgeable with Eternity Engine, here's the error that I'm hitting when trying to load MAP08 from tdac1632.wad v1.1 (a few computer-specific details redacted from pathname):

eternity caused an Access Violation Exception (0xc0000005)

Error occurred at 1/27/2023 19:10:02.
..\Eternity Engine\ee-4.02.00-win64\eternity.exe
Operating system: 6.2.9200
32 processors, type 8664.
82% memory in use.
32679 MB physical memory.
5867 MB physical memory free.
77592 MB page file.
15715 MB paging file free.
134217728 MB user address space.
134213139 MB user address space free.
Access violation at 00000000. The memory could not be read.

===== [end of CRASHLOG.TXT] =====

Edited by Dieting Hippo

Ah I see. Honestly I just assumed EE and the Boom family were pretty interchangeable, and this might just be checking/unchecking a box to fix or something, but I guess not. Not a huge deal either way. There are some EE dev builds here that might be worth trying, maybe they won't crash with the "fixed" version. I let them know about it in Discord too, we'll see what happens.

In other news this is for sure one of the most memorable WADs I've played in a good while. The barrel pit in Made Away Themselves was really diabolical. Still chewing on that last map, I'm excited to see what it has in store... 

I added support for compressed nodes to EE today. Tomorrow's devbuilds (see link in pantheon's above comment) will manage MAP08 just fine.

2 hours ago, pantheon said:

Ah I see. Honestly I just assumed EE and the Boom family were pretty interchangeable, and this might just be checking/unchecking a box to fix or something, but I guess not. Not a huge deal either way. There are some EE dev builds here that might be worth trying, maybe they won't crash with the "fixed" version. I let them know about it in Discord too, we'll see what happens.

In other news this is for sure one of the most memorable WADs I've played in a good while. The barrel pit in Made Away Themselves was really diabolical. Still chewing on that last map, I'm excited to see what it has in store... 

Hey, I tried to teach you that blowing up barrels was a vile thing to do throughout the course of that map.

13 hours ago, Altazimuth said:

I added support for compressed nodes to EE today. Tomorrow's devbuilds (see link in pantheon's above comment) will manage MAP08 just fine.

Thank you for making this fix! I'll grab that for future testing too, I originally got EE for Heartland and was pretty amazed at what it could do. I'm very tempted at taking a crack at a few EE maps now!

And thank you @pantheon for bringing this up to them, I hope you enjoy the rest of Kil'd By Several Accidents!

18 hours ago, Dieting Hippo said:

Thank you for making this fix! I'll grab that for future testing too, I originally got EE for Heartland and was pretty amazed at what it could do. I'm very tempted at taking a crack at a few EE maps now!

And thank you @pantheon for bringing this up to them, I hope you enjoy the rest of Kil'd By Several Accidents!

I'd love to see what you come up with! Finally finished MAP11 single segment, in EE no less, and I would just say it was truly a twisted trip through space and time. Awesome WAD and it left me wanting more. The end screen was a bit sobering and a nice touch as well. May those souls rest in peace!

Back again, I've been slow getting through this but am making progress haha! 

Map 8 drove me absolutely apoplectic yesterday. However, I will admit I was very tired

Spoiler

The path with Damaging Floor, Chaingunners and Pain Elementals is evil!

Gonna try this again today, well done to all so far 😄