Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alaux

Smooth Doom on MBF21 + DSDHacked (Standard Edition V5 and Classic Edition V3 Released)

On 1/9/2023 at 9:35 AM, Alaux said:

[...] so I should try giving the flag to just the gibs and see if the frame drops are mitigated.

So, I got around to testing this. I put up an extreme case scenario, which was to use the BFG against a lot of zombiemen, and my frames dropped to single digits due to the amount of gibs. I don't have quite a beefy computer either, but since this is Doom we're talking about, I'm probably not the only one with 10+ year old hardware, so I'd rather keep the floating gibs if that's what it takes to avoid frame drops.

If anyone wants to try this laggier build for some reason, here it is. I repeat: too many flying gibs at once provoke frame drops on this build.

2 minutes ago, RastaManGames said:

It is possible in the future to have version with edgier gloves?

You mean black gloves? I might be able to do that right about now if it really is just a sprite swap, since Smooth Doom already has them.

3 minutes ago, Alaux said:

You mean black gloves?

Y-yes...

It is just not that important detail and I am really shocked that there is an entire package of not only smooth weapons, but also enemies & some of colored blood too!

Well, that was quick...

The Black Gloves Edition of SD21 has been released! Download link in the OP.

This is supremely cool! This will definitely be a go-to mod for me to play around in. Thank you very much for making and sharing!

My one feature request is for colored blood. Doom Retro (and I think DSDA as well) have support for correctly-colored blood splatters from monsters that have non-red blood (cacodemons, spectres, barons/knights). Would it be possible to get the extra blood and gore from these monsters to match?

EDIT: I read the readme where this is mentioned. Kinda stinks but oh well. Might it be possible to make separate things/states for non-red blood splats?

19 minutes ago, segfault said:

Might it be possible to make separate things/states for non-red blood splats?

There are separate things and states for colored blood effects already, actually, but there's still one remaining issue. I'll try to explain it in depth:

When a hitscan attack hits a monster (or when a monster is crushed), a blood splat is spawned, we already know that. Ports that support colored blood change said splat's internal bloodcolor value to later apply translation and achieve, well, colored blood. That works correctly, and the splat is colored appropriately, but the problem is that its bloodcolor value isn't transferred to things that it itself spawns through A_Spawn() or A_SpawnObject(), and there doesn't seem to be a way to check a thing's bloodcolor value and jump to a different state based on that, with which I would be able to summon appropriately-colored extra splats, nor does there seem to be a way to change what specific thing is spawned upon hitting an enemy (which would have to be enemy-dependent and not attack-dependent anyways). As it stands, I don't think this can be fixed.

15 minutes ago, liPillON said:

so extra splats and colored blood are mutually exclusive? i would rather have the latter

In terms of blood color consistency, they are mutually exclusive. Apart from that annoying quirk, though, they do work together, you'll just have mismatched blood colors.

6 hours ago, Alaux said:

There are separate things and states for colored blood effects already, actually, but there's still one remaining issue. I'll try to explain it in depth:

When a hitscan attack hits a monster (or when a monster is crushed), a blood splat is spawned, we already know that. Ports that support colored blood change said splat's internal bloodcolor value to later apply translation and achieve, well, colored blood. That works correctly, and the splat is colored appropriately, but the problem is that its bloodcolor value isn't transferred to things that it itself spawns through A_Spawn() or A_SpawnObject(), and there doesn't seem to be a way to check a thing's bloodcolor value and jump to a different state based on that, with which I would be able to summon appropriately-colored extra splats, nor does there seem to be a way to change what specific thing is spawned upon hitting an enemy (which would have to be enemy-dependent and not attack-dependent anyways). As it stands, I don't think this can be fixed.

I see. Ah well! I still quite like this mod and it'll definitely be in my rotation.

Hey again. While I was making the Black Gloves Edition of SD21, I didn't realize that I could've instead made a simple addon to be loaded on top of the main WAD, which would achieve the exact same effect in-game but would be much easier to maintain. I didn't do it then, but I'll do it now:

The Black Gloves Edition has been replaced with a Black Gloves Addon.

If you've already downloaded the Black Gloves Edition and are already using it, you might not want to bother with downloading this addon just yet, as the sprites with black gloves are identical. For future SD21 releases, though, you should use the addon instead, as both the main WAD and the addon itself might be updated. If you insist on switching to the addon right now, though, download link in the OP.

Edited by Alaux

Hey people.

Now aware of SMOOTHED's caveats, I've been thinking about making a separate version of SD21 without all the fancy bonus effects; just smooth weapons, monsters and whatever else is there in vanilla. It might even be DEHExtra-based for compatibility with older ports if MBF21 doesn't prove to be necessary.

I was thinking of calling it "Classic Edition", but I'm a bit unsure of that name. What do you think? Should I call it that? If not, got any name suggestions?

Before anything, though, "Vanilla Edition" is a no-go as it'd be very misleading.

Smooth Vanilla (icecream) is a delicious mental image. 

Tremendous work all around and I echo your intuition for a separate SD21 just for weapons and monsters!

Took me a while, but here goes a bunch of stuff:

SD21 has been updated to Version 3.

I must admit, for the previous versions I had to cut just a few corners to keep the mod within DEHEXTRA limits. That is no more, however, as the mod has been transitioned to DSDHacked. Thanks to that, the mod is now slightly more compatible with other DeHackEd mods. As a byproduct of this, randomization has been improved, and also made more uniform.

The floating gibs and casings bug has been fixed. I found a way to fix it that doesn't tank performance right away, and it probably won't do so unless you have a lot of gibs and casings on a moving lift.

Some people had encountered a bug in Doom 1 where first-person Chainguns would appear when gibbing enemies. This happened because some gibs make use of the POB1A sprite, which isn't present in Doom 1. As a fix for this, said sprite is now included in the mod.

The last thing worth mentioning is that there's now a Blood Patch that forces red blood for the Cacos and Hell Nobles, for those that don't like the mismatched blood.

Apart from that, there have been a few more changes and improvements. If you're interested, here's the full changelog:

Spoiler

- Fixed cutoff of casing/gib sounds
- Fixed Plasma Ball animation
- Randomized Plasma Ball trail
- Fixed blue pixels in Arachnotron Plasma
- Improved Arachnotron Plasma trail
- Delayed spawning of Rocket Trails
- Fixed green particles sometimes being yellow
- Made use of unused bullet casing frames
- Slightly modified some SSG and Plasma Gun frames for more consistency with the Black Gloves addon
- Rearranged, reformatted and cleaned up code

On the other hand, SD21 Classic Edition has been released. Some of you wanted a more Vanilla-flavored version of the mod without the fancy stuff, so here it is: no casings, no extra gore, no effects. Just smooth animations.

Lastly, the Black Gloves addon has been updated to Version 2. Just a minor sprite edit.

All downloads links in the OP.

1 minute ago, RastaManGames said:

Hm... Seems that "Black Gloves" addon stopped working for me after the update. Not sure, why it is like that...

Oh, I'm a fool. I renamed the weapon sprites in the main WADs, but not in the black gloves addon, that's why it doesn't work. Give me a few minutes.

8 hours ago, Alaux said:

The floating gibs and casings bug has been fixed. I found a way to fix it that doesn't tank performance right away, and it probably won't do so unless you have a lot of gibs and casings on a moving lift.

Oh, shit! Oh, shit! Oh, shit! What is this, the best vanilla mod now? Awesome work!

2 hours ago, Alaux said:

@RastaManGames should be fixed now. Please redownload the addon and confirm that it works.

Just tested in DSDA-DOOM and Woof!, working like a charm now. Thank you very much for the update! o/

doom00.png.4951b42af0387e3088599bc24bf183ac.png

This is absolutely stellar work - I've been looking for a vanilla-compatible Smooth Doom, and this fits the bill perfectly.

I do, however, have a (possible) bug report. I am running SD21 Classic with the Black Gloves Addon with DBP57: Shatter Realm, and the game sometimes crashes during a key fight on MAP05 with the error "R_ProjectSprite: missing spriteframes 290" (or 270). Source port is DSDA-Doom 0.25.6, running on Windows 10 x64. Could this be an issue caused by the mod or the wad?

Thanks for your time.

Edited by DreadWanderer

3 minutes ago, DreadWanderer said:

I am running SD21 Classic with the Black Gloves Addon with DBP57: Shatter Realm, and the game sometimes crashes during a key fight on MAP05 with the error "R_ProjectSprite: invalid sprite frame 290" (or 270).

Any chance you could trigger the crash again and send me a screenshot of the error message?

8 minutes ago, Alaux said:

Any chance you could trigger the crash again and send me a screenshot of the error message?

Hey Alaux, thanks for the quick reply. Here it is.

crash.jpg

Not sure if it's related but this version doesn't work in GZDoom or Helion. For Helion (and probably GZDoom) the problem is all the frames where the sprite number overflows past the maximum spritenum_t so it can't look up the decorate definitions to apply them.

Just now, hobomaster22 said:

Not sure if it's related but this version doesn't work in GZDoom or Helion. For Helion (and probably GZDoom) the problem is all the frames where the sprite number overflows past the maximum spritenum_t so it can't look up the decorate definitions to apply them.

Most sprites in SD21 go beyond the DEHEXTRA limits, into DSDHacked territory. Do Helion and GZ support DSDHacked?

10 minutes ago, hobomaster22 said:

As mentioned in my original post, I'm not running GZDoom or Helion but the latest version of DSDA-Doom. I was able to reproduce the crash without the Black Gloves Addon (i.e. only with SD21 Classic). When I played DBP57 initially, I never encountered this crash, but that was an older version of the wad. This was tested on the latest version of DBP57 (v4), so I'm still not sure if the cause is the wad or the mod.

@DreadWanderer, I found the issue. Thanks for reporting it.

Everyone: SD21 and SD21-Classic have been updated to V4 and V2 respectively. These updates fix the Cacodemon's Raise state using the wrong sprites, which would cause a crash in the Classic Edition.

Download links in the OP.

12 minutes ago, Alaux said:

Most sprites in SD21 go beyond the DEHEXTRA limits, into DSDHacked territory. Do Helion and GZ support DSDHacked? 

They do. Looks like for Helion it's because the the BEX definitions have an equals sign. Looks like most dehacked patches that used BEX extensions didn't include the equals so it has been missed up until this point. What GZDoom doesn't like I'm not sure. Good news is that it doesn't appear to be an issue with the dehacked.

20 minutes ago, Alaux said:

@DreadWanderer, I found the issue. Thanks for reporting it.

Everyone: SD21 and SD21-Classic have been updated to V4 and V2 respectively. These updates fix the Cacodemon's Raise state using the wrong sprites, which would cause a crash in the Classic Edition.

Download links in the OP.

Fantastic, thanks a lot! I'll keep an eye out for anything else.