Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maribo

DSDA Issues / Reports

The Doom Speed Demo Archive is the primary website for classic Doom speedruns. It hosts numerous demos for Doom, its related games such as Heretic and Hexen, and community-created mapsets.

Submission to DSDA is as simple as zipping your demo file with an accompanying txt file that has some information about the run, and then posting it in the relevant thread in the submissions forum on this website. You can find more information about actually running Doom over here.

This thread's primary purpose is for users to report issues with the site, or with the upload process. If you posted any demos and they did not make it onto the website in the last upload batch, this is the place to do so. If you notice a mislabeled demo, this is where you should mention it.

This is a list of issues that are currently unsolvable, already known, or being worked on:

You can find this thread's original incarnation over here.

Edited by Maribo

3 hours ago, Maribo said:

Submission to DSDA is as simple as zipping your demo file with an accompanying txt file that has some information about the run, and then posting it in the relevant thread in the submissions forum on this website.

How about those who are banned on DW? It will be good for dsda to have a some email anyway.

20 hours ago, Hitherto said:

How about those who are banned on DW? It will be good for dsda to have a some email anyway.

The short answer is: I don't currently have any plans for this, and the alternative to anyone banned from DW is the speedrun Discord #demos channel, provided a demo is zipped with a txt, but this alternative should not be used unless someone is actually banned from DW.

Long answer:

I think in principle, an alternative to Doomworld would be beneficial, but email is a pain to maintain IMO and probably also get spammed really quickly. It would also be a pain to automate.

I don't have the Discord channel automated to any extent, but that too is unlikely to happen. Discord automation would probably be easier to set up, but there's still work involved there and the benefit seems minimal. This is why it would probably result in delays for any uploads done this way and is not recommended, I would only do such uploads whenever I feel like doing extra work. :p

The final option would be a proper upload form; it would be the easiest to automate, simplest to use, etc., and match closest to other speedrun sites, but it's also the most work to get set up. And given I rarely do any work on the process as it is, it's quite unlikely to happen anytime soon unless I somehow find more time/motivation to do that sort of thing. I'm not exactly a front-end expert either, so that would probably require some learning on my part to do properly. It would never be as simple as other sites, though, as something like speedrun.com is purely manual verification, which is not an option for Doom demos, so that only increases the amount of work needed. Maintenance and regular uploads would probably be easier over time, but still, getting there is a long process.

Overall, any such alternative isn't super high effort at the end of the day for a couple reasons:

1. I think Doomworld is a great resource for archiving run comments (which is happening more commonly recently) and providing visibility to runs that would otherwise be lost if it were posted to email, Discord, or any other platform. Even if an upload form were to be created, which I do see as a benefit to simplifying the process of submission, it would be sad to see the lack of an option to comment under runs, add likes, or even see which runs happened at all. In such a case, I would hope people would continue submitting to Doomworld, but it's likely that wouldn't persist, especially not to the current degree.
  2. I think it's pretty difficult to actually get banned from here unless you actually do something really bad. :^) But even in the case that people are anti-Doomworld for some reason, getting banned from both here and the Discord would require some especially egregious behavior, and tbh, I can't say it bothers me that much to lose the potential demos from players in this category.

There might be a few players who could use an email setup.

I registered to DW with an unusual email and could not post, and didn't know why. There was no way to contact anyone, so I looked around Youtube and Twitch for someone to contact, but there's no *contact info* to see if you're not logged in. I won't go on Discord. Finally I contacted a person who had an email in their run - who was also the person whose run I was competing with. He explained why I couldn't post on DW.

If I could not have found someone with an email, I would have given up on DW, and just posted my runs on Odysee. There would be fewer runs, and with no one to comment on or compete with my runs, they would be lower quality. I would be my own one-person DW and keep posting demos quietly.

It might be worth getting an email setup. Maybe even I could do it, theoretically. But it sounds like a lot of unpaid work, less fun than speedrunning.

*edit* for clarity. I can see a lot when I'm not logged in - just not a way to contact people.

Edited by taedev

10 hours ago, taedev said:

There might be a few players who could use an email setup.

I registered to DW with an unusual email and could not post, and didn't know why. There was no way to contact anyone, so I looked around Youtube and Twitch for someone to contact, but there's no *contact info* to see if you're not logged in. I won't go on Discord. Finally I contacted a person who had an email in their run - who was also the person whose run I was competing with. He explained why I couldn't post on DW.

If I could not have found someone with an email, I would have given up on DW, and just posted my runs on Odysee. There would be fewer runs, and with no one to comment on or compete with my runs, they would be lower quality. I would be my own one-person DW and keep posting demos quietly.

It might be worth getting an email setup. Maybe even I could do it, theoretically. But it sounds like a lot of unpaid work, less fun than speedrunning.

*edit* for clarity. I can see a lot when I'm not logged in - just not a way to contact people.

It's true that we may be losing out on some runs, but yeah, like you said, it's a lot of unpaid work, on top of what is already unpaid work for me uploading demos usually every day. :p

The process to upload demos is not an entirely simple one at the moment, and most of that is done automatically. Right now, it is done by running scripts directly to do a lot of the demo processing, and then on top of that, I do some manual checks for stuff like links to videos or category mismatches. Making the process easier to pitch into is one goal in the future I have, but it cannot be as simple as just inputting values, since the automated checks are basically a requirement (otherwise the amount of work skyrockets). A UI method of doing a lot of that has been discussed and would be worthwhile IMO, but it just hasn't happened yet, as it's a lot of work to set up, and there's not a lot of people actively contributing. Once that is created, then presumably the work could be split and accepting demos through other avenues would be more realistic, but as with everything else, it would take a long time for me to get to coding that, and until someone else joins to help with that or I figure it out, I'm not willing to take on more regular work just for myself. :P

OK, I just drop my email here then:

rcdemo at mail dot ru

though I can't guarantee frequent checkup on long time basis nor address health

5 hours ago, Andrea Rovenski said:

nostalgia uv -fast movie for ep1 is listed as "other movie" (episode structure for this wad follows death exits and wad structure) 

I checked UMAPINFO and didn't see any episode definition, didn't realize it was done via death exits. Will update.

7 minutes ago, Stroggman said:

I was wondering in DSDA-DooM if you can turn off auto-aim ?

This thread is for DSDA (Doom Speed Demo Archive), not dsda-doom. Use this thread for that:

But to answer your question, no you can't disable autoaim.

14 hours ago, Shepardus said:

But to answer your question, no you can't disable autoaim.

You can actually disable autoaim, but only when not recording a demo. You need to enable the following options:

• Enable free look (2nd page under Mouse options on Options -> General)
  • Allow vertical aiming (6th page under Mapping error fixes on Options -> General)

1 hour ago, Andromeda said:

You can actually disable autoaim, but only when not recording a demo. You need to enable the following options:

• Enable free look (2nd page under Mouse options on Options -> General)
  • Allow vertical aiming (6th page under Mapping error fixes on Options -> General)

Maybe in this context, the autoaim is talking about horizontal autoaim? I'm not sure

10 hours ago, Xymph said:

A minor thing noticed while syncing wiki pages: on https://dsdarchive.com/wads/sunder?level=Map+14 the 0:18.66 entry by Cacatou was previously categorized as NM speed, but now it's (just) Pacifist. That makes the "Also Pacifist." flag below the entry redundant.

It's actually just a UV demo, and that was picked up in a recent  round of corrections but not fixed. The tag will be removed at some point, but really, the demo will be placed in Other on account of being recorded on the wrong complevel, so it won't matter much anyway.

The 21s (or 22, I forget) demo in the same zip is a NM run though.

1 hour ago, MikeTheMerc said:

Is this where you would post if a demo of yours was put on the leaderboard under the wrong category?

Yes, ideally also link the page where the demo is and explain the incorrect categorization.

TVR MAP20 has an unreachable secret, so my nightmare demo there should be NM100S (I forgot to correct the category in the exported txt file).

Excuse me dsda moderators, is the 180 turn key allowed currently?.

1 hour ago, Ks4 said:

Excuse me dsda moderators, is the 180 turn key allowed currently?.

It's no longer allowed for DSDA submissions.

Since there's a new DSDA report thread, My two lilith.pk3 demo's times are wrong: Map 02 Pacifist should be 0:13 & Map 34 UV Speed should be 0:41

Screenshot_125.png.ff1d4b39760b2c84f321ee55da0526b1.png

For ReX's Wicked series some files already have their map names. The remaining ones are:

wicked_2: Wickedly Simple
wicked_3: No Rest for the Wicked
wicked_5: Death Comes Not Gently to the Wicked
wicked_7: Wicked Be the Ways of Men

6 hours ago, Xymph said:

For ReX's Wicked series some files already have their map names. The remaining ones are:

wicked_2: Wickedly Simple
wicked_3: No Rest for the Wicked
wicked_5: Death Comes Not Gently to the Wicked
wicked_7: Wicked Be the Ways of Men

Most WADs with map names on DSDA only have them because they were uploaded in recent times. :) At some point, they should be updated with the names, but at the moment, they are only updated if I happen to have to touch the WAD for any reason.