Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IntellectualHomie

Doom on Vita

Recently hacked my My PSTV recently, for those who haven't heard of it, it's essentially a console version of the PSVita Handheld. 

I got a Quake and Doom source port installed recently, the Quake one is pretty good, I believe its a branch of a WinQuake port. Non the less it still plays great on the console with little errors here and there. Same can be said for the Doom port. Its a version of Chocolate Doom w/ full support for Heretic and Hexen. My only complaint is the controls, never really been a fan of playing any iteration of Doom on a controller but the look controls specifically feel as if they need working. 

I'm considering installing a different source port for Doom and using Chocolate for Heretic, as for some reason that one felt better with look controls. 

Anybody have any specific preference for a Doom source port on the Vita, if so plz comment. I'd love to hear what you guys recommend!

I'd suggest using the port of PrBoom Plus instead. You may want to overclock the CPU to 500mhz with PSVshell if you want to get the best performance with the software renderer though

I actually have a PSTV myself, bought an SD2Vita for it but after setting it up, all my bubbles are gone. This is a known issue and its likely configuration related, but yes, use the provided PrBoom Plus port. It has the benefit of being one of few homebrew ports that's actually hardware accelerated - in this case through VitaGL. So basically, GLBoom+ for Vita, which i thought is pretty neat.

On 1/6/2023 at 12:45 AM, Wavy said:

I'd suggest using the port of PrBoom Plus instead. You may want to overclock the CPU to 500mhz with PSVshell if you want to get the best performance with the software renderer though

On 1/6/2023 at 12:56 AM, Redneckerz said:

I actually have a PSTV myself, bought an SD2Vita for it but after setting it up, all my bubbles are gone. This is a known issue and its likely configuration related, but yes, use the provided PrBoom Plus port. It has the benefit of being one of few homebrew ports that's actually hardware accelerated - in this case through VitaGL. So basically, GLBoom+ for Vita, which i thought is pretty neat.

Took me a while, been busy the past week but I finally got around to installing PrBoom+ on the PSTV, it runs fairly smooth but I'm sure with an overclock it will run even better. Honestly love this one wayyy more than chocolate doom for the console, there's a lot more options that allow for a preferred experience. 

Thx a lot for recommending it \m/