Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catdark_

doom's 30th anniversary

so  i heave been wondering because windows 11 has released why is there no made for windows 11 source port same thing with IOS as apple products are very mainstream. sadly source port Devs hadn't obtained a copy of win11 of their pc doesn't meet the system requirements this is not a general statement this is just my theory. thank you for reading at some point will all have win11 machines in the next 7 years that's a given 

2 minutes ago, Catdark_ said:

so  i heave been wondering because windows 11 has released why is there no made for windows 11 source port same thing with IOS as apple products are very mainstream. sadly source port Devs hadn't obtained a copy of win11 of their pc doesn't meet the system requirements this is not a general statement this is just my theory. thank you for reading at some point will all have win11 machines in the next 7 years that's a given 

Because source ports target an OS in a generalized fashion? GZDoom will run on Windows 10 and Windows 11 at ease.

There is no such thing as a made for Windows 11 port because the incentive isn't there to utilize tech like DirectStorage.

Obviously this has zilch to do with developers not having Windows 11.

I almost feel this is a ChatGPT made and generated thread. Except GPT will likely create better threads with better theories than this.

when will mapsets such as Hell to Pay and the lost Episodes of doom become Iwads in GZDoom also Sigil

8 minutes ago, Catdark_ said:

when will mapsets such as Hell to Pay and the lost Episodes of doom become Iwads in GZDoom also Sigil

They're PWADs for a reason, they require the resources from the base game. Any reason you need them to be IWADs specifically? For Sigil you're in luck though, because WadSmoosh does recognize Sigil and will merge that along with the rest of the WADs it supports.

1 hour ago, Catdark_ said:

same thing with IOS as apple products are very mainstream.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_Classic_Unity_port

windows 11 source port

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Category:Source_ports

sadly source port Devs hadn't obtained a copy of win11 of their pc doesn't meet the system requirements

Or maybe because it sucks? Also, may I ask why the title of the thread is "doom's 30th anniversary"?

2 hours ago, Catdark_ said:

so  i heave been wondering because windows 11 has released why is there no made for windows 11 source port same thing with IOS as apple products are very mainstream.

1 hour ago, xX_Lol6_Xx said:

Or maybe because it sucks?

The two of you both have a critical misunderstanding about how Windows works. Windows as an OS is explicitly backwards compatible (you can in fact still run Win95 software on Win11), and the SDKs are also forwards/backwards compatible to some degree. You don't target a specific version of Windows, you target a supported feature set which typically encompasses multiple versions as once.

The current SDKs cover between either 7 to 11, or 10 and 11, depending on the APIs used. Try hard enough and you can keep going back further; The current version of Worms Armageddon (which yes, is actually still getting modern patches) still supports Windows 95, despite being designed for modern systems including Win10 and 11.

Edited by Edward850

GPT spitting out weird stuff lately

EDIT: lol damn I blew right by Red's post saying the same thing

2 hours ago, Catdark_ said:

why is there no made for windows 11

For two reasons:
1.-) Windows 11 is mostly compatible with older OS, so Win10 or even 7 ports will work just fine.
2.-) cuz Windows 11 is shit.

you should start a gofundme to get graf zahl a copy of windows 11, maybe that will help.

Oh boy, really? There is no source port made for Windows 11? The world must be coming to an end - now it is not just the regular software made for older systems that stopped working but also Doom. What do we do now with our brand new computers...??? :D:D:D

On 1/8/2023 at 4:21 AM, Herr Dethnout said:

On a more serious note, Windows 11 may need more third party fixing to run well, but aside from that it is not really worse than Windows 10 once its deficiencies have been patched up.

On 1/8/2023 at 6:30 AM, sandwedge said:

you should start a gofundme to get graf zahl a copy of windows 11, maybe that will help.

Actually, it won't help at all - my current computer already runs on Windows 11. So much for the OP's dumb assumptions. :P

idunno gzdoom works fine on my rig and so does Literally any other source port that runs on Windows.

13 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

Actually, it won't help at all - my current computer already runs on Windows 11. So much for the OP's dumb assumptions. :P

what!!! make gzdom windows 11 version with multi core support and rtx!!!!

On 1/7/2023 at 8:21 PM, Herr Dethnout said:

For two reasons:
1.-) Windows 11 is mostly compatible with older OS, so Win10 or even 7 ports will work just fine.

HELL yeah

the IOS apps are five dollars

I mean, it's a commercially released game? That even back in the day costed money?

On 1/9/2023 at 9:15 AM, Graf Zahl said:

if I didn't know at the time Salty Member and it was never dumb plus you are the lead of a source port and not everyone can afford windows 11 Zahl il make lillith compatible with gzdoom or make my own.

On 1/7/2023 at 10:30 PM, sandwedge said:

you made him mad  if the devs of a source port are shit heads just make your own 

26 minutes ago, Catdark_ said:

if I didn't know at the time Salty Member and it was never dumb plus you are the lead of a source port and not everyone can afford windows 11 Zahl il make lillith compatible with gzdoom or make my own.

5 minutes ago, Catdark_ said:

you made him mad  if the devs of a source port are shit heads just make your own 

What the fuck are you even saying?