Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IThrowDonkeysIntoTornadoes

crazy source port features that will never get added

It's not even crazy but... multi-threaded simulation for the thinkers etc. It seems like the engine is decidedly single-threaded with nothing can be done about it without writing a new engine, essentially.

Support for the remaining Raster Image Formats which are as follows:

ANI
ANIM
APNG
ART
AVIF
BMP
BPG
BSAVE
CAL
CIN
CPC
CPT
DDS
DPX
ECW
EXR
FITS
FLIC
FLIF
FPX
GIF
HDRi
HEVC
ICER
ICNS
ICO/CUR
ICS
ILBM
JBIG
JBIG2
JNG
JPEG
JPEG-LS
JPEG 2000
JPEG XL
JPEG XR
JPEG XS
JPEG XT
JPEG-HDR
KRA
MNG
MIFF
NRRD
PAM
PBM/PGM/PPM/PNM
PCX
ORA
PGF
PICtor
PNG
PSD/PSB
PSP
QOI
QTVR
RAS
RGBE
Logluv TIFF
SGI
TGA
TIFF
TIFF/EP
TIFF/IT
UFO/UFP
WBMP
WebP
XBM
XCF
XPM
XWD

As far as we know, only non-patented formats are allowed to be implemented in any open source project.

Didn't you post this in a previous page already? A lot of these are nonsensical to have in any video game, much less a Doom source port.

1 minute ago, dasho said:

Didn't you post this in a previous page already? A lot of these are nonsensical to have in any video game, much less a Doom source port.

Ayup.

Let me support this obscure format.

Generally, it isn't useful for a runtime to support a million different formats. Pick a few formats that provide everything you need and have tools do the conversion from the many formats that are out there. Otherwise, you are increasing the maintenance cost and code size for almost no benefit.

21 hours ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

Support for the remaining Raster Image Formats which are as follows:

DDS
JPEG
PCX
PNG
TGA

GZDoom supports the ones above.

I dream on having a jpg with alpha channel (maybe also JPG compressed) because it would squish the size of my "game" so much.

Support for playing through any WAD in mirrored mode. If you play MyHouse, sllahrednU just becomes normal Underhalls but with the Backrooms.

39 minutes ago, TheSlipgateStudios said:

Adding extra wads/mods while ingame

Not that crazy. Doomsday has allowed that since at least 1.8.6.

1.8.6 had a basic 'load' console command. While more modern versions of Dday' had a GUI for it.

https://manual.dengine.net/guide/game_library

Edited by Vermil

2 hours ago, continuum.mid said:

Support for playing through any WAD in mirrored mode. If you play MyHouse, sllahrednU just becomes normal Underhalls but with the Backrooms.

Crispy Doom does this and So-Doom too (crispy fork).

A multiplayer crossplay (meaning between other source-ports) source-port. I don't think that will happen, probably ever, not only due to the compatibility issues and server infrastructure, but also due to internal ''dilemmas'' in the MP side of things.

1 hour ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

A source port that would use .ASI files instead of .DLL files similar to Ultimate ASI Loader, getting rid of the incompatible DLL file and DLL Hell problems.

Ultimate ASI Loader

DESCRIPTION

This is a DLL file which adds ASI plugin loading functionality to any game, which uses any of the following libraries:

d3d8.dll

d3d9.dll (x86 and x64)

d3d10.dll (x86 and x64)

d3d11.dll (x86 and x64)

d3d12.dll (x86 and x64)

ddraw.dll

dinput.dll

dinput8.dll (x86 and x64)

dsound.dll (x86 and x64)

msacm32.dll

msvfw32.dll

version.dll (x86 and x64)

wininet.dll (x86 and x64)

winmm.dll (x86 and x64)

xlive.dll

bink2w64.dll (rename original to bink2w64Hooked.dll)

vorbisFile.dll (rename original to vorbisHooked.dll, optional)

binkw32.dll (rename original to binkw32Hooked.dll, optional)

Uhh

It'd be really cool if there were a feature that allowed you to work on levels in semi-real time. As in, you'd make whatever changes to a sector/level/thing,etc., hit a button, and it would reload the level, adding in only the newly spawned things but keeping you where you were. Something that'd only really help for the dev side of things, but I'm sure would be a feature greatly appreciated by the mapping community.

9 hours ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

A source port that would use .ASI files instead of .DLL files similar to Ultimate ASI Loader, getting rid of the incompatible DLL file and DLL Hell problems.

Ultimate ASI Loader is a DLL file that adds an ASI Plugin loading functionality.

If you are going to make wild ideas atleast elaborate why.

FWIW, i once suggested a Doom port to run on WARP or LLVMPipe and go ham on software rendering.

5 hours ago, Individualised said:

JPEG textures? Really?

Ask the GZDoom devs, not me. :P

12 hours ago, kwc said:

A demo-based ghost you can race against.

Already exists in DSDA-Doom.

I may be a little ignorant of what goes on behind the curtain, but I just think the future versions of GZDoom should ditch doom compatibility and became an streamlined engine for standalone games that doesn't have to struggle with Doom's obsolete idiosyncrasies, while maintaining the ease of creating  maps under a new standard.

Non-square hitboxes

Multiple hitboxes per actor

Dynamic lights that are blocked by ceilings and floors

Simple actors used just for decorations that use less CPU

2 hours ago, Andromeda said:

Already exists in DSDA-Doom.

Really?! That's awesome, forgive me! I'll have to check it out.

On 5/13/2023 at 1:41 PM, MFG38 said:

GZDoom supports the ones above.

Going back on this, PNG's can actually be more file size efficient than Doom's image format for maybe 9 out of 10 assets you may have in a project. Slade has a built in feature that can optimize PNG's (basically palatalizes them so each PNG has an internal "playpal" so to speak), and it massively reduces their size most of the time. I tested this feature on DOOM2.wad (converted *all* assets to PNG, then compressed), and it knocked off about 4.6mb.

2038250394_Screenshot2022-08-1520_16_43.png.d4dea581685d18326d7e27065468ec00.png

Since then, I've always used this feature for every PNG asset I use.

We have a implementation of Doom on a FPGA, but when can I play it on a house-sized discrete logic monstrosity made mostly of 74LS chips? Bonus points for managing to encode all the sprites in hardware using diodes, Atari-style