Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
janiform

[Community Project] Doom 2 Minus Doom (30 maps complete!))

So my question is this. When you say limit removing do you mean something like UDMF Format or do you mean vanilla format? If either or i can work with both since the community project i worked on just got a full release i'm open for another one. 

Also is there a time limit or is it work at your own pace?

This sounds like an interesting set of restrictions, I'm in!

I'd like to do one of the space stations I think, can I bag Map 09?

6 minutes ago, Lorcav said:

can I bag Map 09?

I see that Into Sandy's City grab, I see you.

Interesting project idea! I can smell the Plutonia style maps already haha, and I like it. The Cyb feels like a devastating loss.

20 minutes ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

So my question is this. When you say limit removing do you mean something like UDMF Format or do you mean vanilla format? If either or i can work with both since the community project i worked on just got a full release i'm open for another one. 

Thanks for asking! This is a vanilla format project, and deadline is the end of 2023. I've updated the first post with this info.

@Lorcav , I've added your slot to the map list! I agree about the loss of the cyberdemon. I've been considering a new, cyberdemon-free titlepic....

bad news

Doom 2 and Doom both contain Doomguy.

*doomguy removal noises*

what about an elf replacement for him? Heretic came out just between Doom and Doom II

@Cammy I'm probably swayable on the music issue; my main goal is just to emphasize the Doom 2-ishness as much as possible.

@AnarkzieThere's nothing stopping you from contributing a SSG-only map! It seems too limiting for the project as a whole, though, especially given that chaingunners drop chainguns.

3 minutes ago, janiform said:

@Cammy 

@AnarkzieThere's nothing stopping you from contributing a SSG-only map! It seems too limiting for the project as a whole, though, especially given that chaingunners drop chainguns.

Okay put me down for map 6 and I'll see what I can come up .

This is a cool idea for a project. I am not gonna get involved, just because I want TNTF done before I touch anything else.

But super neat idea. Good luck with it. :)

9 hours ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

When you say limit removing do you mean something like UDMF Format or do you mean vanilla format?

Generally, limit-removing implies vanilla format but ignoring the static limits. What that essentially means is that functionality is limited to the actions available in vanilla Doom (albeit with the addition of the MBF sky transfer, since Crispy Doom supports that), but you don't have to worry about visplane overflow and whatnot.

10 hours ago, janiform said:

Music: Vanilla

Oh, come on.

Sure this year we have a lots wacky CPs gimmicks! This is also a pretty concept, i made a map for a old Mega project that uses the same gimmick with monsters (that was borrowed from a Abyssal Session iirc)!

Yeah, i was thinking too about why not let people use their own midis?

Also i have some ideas for unused monsters/things from Doom in this project giving them a sort of new life...

13 hours ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

I know this sort of thing can be confusing, but limit-removing, when it comes to Doom maps, refers specifically to the removal of static limits like visplane, drawseg, and sprite limits. Limit removing maps are Doom format, and are played in complevel 2, meaning they adhere to vanilla line actions and behavior.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Limit_removing

Btw, I think that FLAT20, DOORSTOP, DOORTRACK, and all the "DOOR()" showing which key you have to use on it should be enabled as they are too indispensable and commonly used for doors, maybe we can pass for FLAT20, DOORSTOP and DOORTRACK, but I think that without the others the outcome will be meh.

Yeah actually I agree with Brioche. (I can't @ because I can't type that o with the line through it haha) There are certain generic workhorse textures and flats that should be in there. FLAT1. CEIL5_1. FLAT14. GRAYBIG. METAL. 

That said, sometimes you can get some really cool results when you impose more limitations, so idk. But these textures/flats add background ambience without really intruding on the 'feel' of the levels I think.

I was thinking about this thread on the way to my gym. It's going to have an interesting affect on the combat, as Doom 2 introduced a whole mid tier class of enemies, we cannot simply spam Imps when placing monster. The early levels are going to especially need to think about this, it should be fun.

Interested, claiming MAP03 please. I assume we can pretty much do anything and the maps don't have to be an effective remake of their originals? Up for it either way.

17 hours ago, janiform said:

@Cammy I'm probably swayable on the music issue; my main goal is just to emphasize the Doom 2-ishness as much as possible.

My two suggestions are this:

1. Use DOOM 2 midi remixes. Not slagging the old songs, but I think to really emphasize Doom 2-ishness you should go the route of having remade versions of each songs in the wad as opposed to just playing the same songs everyone has heard hundreds of times.

2. For mapper's ease I'd create a texture resource that replaces all of the Doom 1 textures and flats with pink. It'd be fairly easy to pull off. All you'd need to do would be to duplicate the 'void' texture in slade and rename it to every single texture you don't want used. That way when you open up builder the doom 1 textures will be replaced by the placeholder.

Thanks @MFG38 and @Egg Boy for clarifying the format. I've added that Doomwiki link to the first post.

@Briøche Added! (I can't seem to @ you)
@NeedHealth Added!
@GamingGargoyle Added!
@Chainie Added!
@Somniac Added! And the maps should be original, not remakes of Doom 2 maps. I've (hopefully) clarified this in the first post.
@BedrockCastle Added!

@Anarkzie I agree! The whole combat dynamic changes without the Doom 1 monsters.

@Cammy @MFG38 @Walter confetti @BluePineapple72 Regarding custom music: Okay, I'll change the restriction to allow custom music. Just try to keep the Doom 2 vibe!

@Briøche @Kyka Regarding allowed textures: The key textures (DOORRED etc) have been added to the list of exceptions, for the same reason the exit textures are allowed. The other textures mentioned are certainly useful but the project is more interesting without them, IMO.

@BluePineapple72 That texture idea sounds good! I'll try to make something like that soon.

4 minutes ago, janiform said:

@Briøche Added! (I can't seem to @ you)

Nice ! I was already working on my map.

It's all right for the @, you are definitively not the first one telling me that, maybe I'll just delete this ø and put a basic o like I should have done it times ago ^^"

The other textures mentioned are certainly useful but the project is more interesting without them, IMO.

Yeah, I did the same reflexion to myself at the end, definitively fun to try to render something good with such a limitation of texture, but DOORRED etc. were indeed too needful as EXIT texture is.