Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kerstens

Sprites wanted...

I'm working on a ZDooM version of my old WAD Crater Outpost, to exploit ZDooM's fullest capabilities. I would like to have a complete sprite of a player with a white uniform, and a Lost Soul death which turns into a blood puddle, the one used in DooM for a squished corpse. Does anyone have any spriters like these, or a link perhaps?

Thank you!

One thing to watch, the lost soul is unusual: all monsters are set to fall (respond to gravity) when they die, except the lost soul. Notice how its death explosion usually flies away from you at the height the thing was when it died? Compare that to the caco or pain elemental.

Anyways, you can get round that by putting a (Zdoom specific) Gravity code pointer into the lost soul death sequence to make it drop.

Making the lost soul die into a puddle can be done in a minute, even adding extra frames using only MS Paint. But then again I'm amazing with MS Paint now.

Try the epidermus emporium for some sprites. You might be lucky.

Enjay said:
Anyways, you can get round that by putting a (Zdoom specific) Gravity code pointer into the lost soul death sequence to make it drop.

Hmmm... can that same pointer be used on blood splats bullet puffs to make them stay in the air?

For the record MS paint blows chimps.. get Paintshop Pro 7 and Animation Shop 3 combo...

perfect pair for sprite editing

(stepping off soapbox now)

Ct_red_pants said:

Hmmm... can that same pointer be used on blood splats bullet puffs to make them stay in the air?

No, the Gravity pointer makes things respond to gravity (ie fall) but there is a NoGravity pointer that stops things responding to gravity, so that one could be used.

I've got a few flying enemies that explode on death. It made sense for them to float until the actual explosion happened, and then fall. So I made them float a little longer than normal before they drop using first the NoGavity, then the Gravity pointer. I also made another enemy that starts on the ground, but after a while, has a NoGravity pointer. From then on, as soon as it has a reason to rise, it can do. So, the pointers work nicely. LilWhiteMouse has also used these pointers. The axes thrown at you by the Anubis Warriors in her "Chosen" mod come to mind. They fall when they hit something - unlike most projectiles that explode at the height of their impact. There will be other examples too.

Scuba Steve said:

I made the one on the right using MS Paint...

How long did it take you? I use MS Paint for a lot for graphics and sprite work, and it usually takes me forever.

DarkWolf said:

MS Paint is great when you need to edit things pixel by pixel.

No no no no!
Not MS Paint. Use the even older MS Paintbrush from Windows 3.xx.
It is much better for pixelstuff.

BlueBeast said:

For the record MS paint blows chimps.. get Paintshop Pro 7 and Animation Shop 3 combo...

perfect pair for sprite editing

(stepping off soapbox now)

Perfect pair for sprite editing? WTF? Why would you need animation shop AT ALL? And there's absolutely nothing wrong with MS Paint - small, simple, fast.

Ghostpilot said:

No no no no!
Not MS Paint. Use the even older MS Paintbrush from Windows 3.xx.
It is much better for pixelstuff.

Wow... I thought I was the only one still using that thing. But, yeah, it's way better than Paint, since it's completely keyboard based. And, as a bonus, if you press page up/page down, it'll scroll exactly one window up/down, which means that it's great for animating as well. All you need in addition is something that converts your images to GIF format.

It has all the tools you need to do decent sprite editing. I gave it up a while ago though, only for the reason that it lacks layers like PS & PSP. Took me about 4 hours of straight pixel pushing to do that one above though.

In my opinion, grab the latest version of Adobe Photoshop (7.0 or later), and you have the single-handed best image editor ever for everything.

Nick Perrin said:

In my opinion, grab the latest version of Adobe Photoshop (7.0 or later), and you have the single-handed best image editor ever for everything.

....or I could spend the same money on hardware and get a new Doom 3-capable computer.

Enjay said:

One thing to watch, the lost soul is unusual: all monsters are set to fall (respond to gravity) when they die, except the lost soul. Notice how its death explosion usually flies away from you at the height the thing was when it died? Compare that to the caco or pain elemental.

Any idea if this is a thing (thing #) based exception or a code pointer or frame based behavior? If the latter, it'd be quite easy to change. As a matter of fact, I think it's frame based (I have reasons to think so.)

I personally use Paint Shop Pro 6.01 to edit sprites. I've tried Photoshop, but most of its (additional, in respect to Paint Shop) features are unnecessary, and it's slower and clumsier in general (it's more for photographs anyway.) MS Paint is too limited, in my opinion (its plus is that it's free with the OS.)

myk said:

Any idea if this is a thing (thing #) based exception or a code pointer or frame based behavior? If the latter, it'd be quite easy to change. As a matter of fact, I think it's frame based (I have reasons to think so.)

void ALostSoul::Die (AActor *source, AActor *inflictor)
{
	Super::Die (source, inflictor);
	flags |= MF_NOGRAVITY;
}

Now I dunno the full ins and outs of what that means, other than the lost soul doesn't fall. Randy said that all monsters have their no gravity bit cleared when they are killed, but because of the above code the LS is an exception. I do know that it is possible to nullify he effect using a gravity code pointer, because I have done so.

myk said:

I personally use Paint Shop Pro 6.01 to edit sprites. I've tried Photoshop, but most of its (additional, in respect to Paint Shop) features are unnecessary, and it's slower and clumsier in general (it's more for photographs anyway.)

One good thing about drawing sprites in photoshop, though, is the texturing and 3d transform(especially for guns). If you're drawing the gun yourself, and you want to make it face another way without re-drawing it AGAIN, just 3d transform it! Ca-Lick!(Click)

I want to see what all the rage is with PSP, though. It seems to me that everyone uses it. I am an ultimate MS Paint professional now, though, for simple editing.

Well, you also have to take in account the feel of an editor. Nothing rubs my fur the wrong way more than an unconfortable situation (or editor in this case). :)