Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DΞLTΛ

THE ADVENTURES OF DELTA v3 - Fast paced power fantasy mod

Okay, I think it's time to stop teasing you guys and submit my first MAJOR mod.

All of this is from the mod thread on the zdoom forums so bear with me here...

Here's a screenie... I will post more when the next update rolls around...

What is it?

Spoiler

THE ADVENTURES OF DELTA (hereby referred to as TAOD) is a solo-dev effort at creating the most over-the-top gameplay mod I possibly can! The author of this mod (who is me btw) is autistic and has been working on this on his own since april 19th 2022 I believe. The weird looking sprites were at first made in microsoft powerpoint but then I transitioned into LibreOffice impress which explains the wonky art style. It's not perfect but I try very hard so support will be greatly appreciated. The art style is also intentional btw.

This mod is being actively worked on...

The hud used is a modified version of simple hud by @DarkShotX45 from doomworld I believe. It also has a new statusbar as well as support for the fullscreen version

Requirements... Just in case.

Spoiler

Requires gzdoom 4.8.2 or higher.

It is single-player only... Zandronum will not be supported

It's meant to be played in the latest version of gzdoom, Although older versions do have support for older versions of gzdoom or lzdoom

Videos:

A small bit of lore:

Spoiler

You are kane "DELTA" winters, a rough-tempered, autistic, massively psychotic dingo with a shitty past that includes being transformed into a firaxian (a firaxian is a extra-dimensional entity that cannot die of natural causes but can still be killed), who also just so happens to be from the mystical fantasy land called "australia" and he is out to put down anyone that gets in the way of his daily fap sessions and weeky pissing on the random protogen to make them explode into electricity because it's funny! (more of the lore to CUM lmfao)

Some of his personal achievements: Saving the worlds of Asuzra, Earth, Therina-Prime, and Vernazij... Asuzra in particluar... TWICE Cygnis asked him about how he saved his homeworld from the absolute wreck that it was back to it's former glory and kane's answer? "I dunno I just shot up those serpent riders and destroyed A weird black glowing ball and here we are... Wait... Weren't you there when I did all that?" they've been friends or well.. friendly rivals ever since... Throwing a rabid koala at a PETA activist from an impossibly long distance whilst quoting the sniper from tf2, Won a 48-hour fapping contest, Trained a magpie called "PewpyDoo" to attack anyone Delta points at without question, regardless of race or gender, the winner of countless "Dumbass of the year" awards as well as some "Scumbag of the year" awards... Got to peg commander zafarra during his time in the DVI, no-clipping into the backrooms and made it out in one piece. and one of his personal achievements: Finally getting a girlfriend who actually has something in common to him... That being white fur, assimilated into the DVI, betrayed them and escaped in one piece, dark red, viscous blood, and an interest in taking the fight to the DVI...

Gameplay:

Spoiler

The gameplay is fairly straight-forward: You run a speed that rivals that of a certain retarded blue hedgehog and your guns deal MASSIVE damage but also have limited ammo so watch out for that. You also have three starting weapons right off the bat: A pistol, a knife, and an assault rifle. You also have a dash as well as an on demand kick, grenade, and piss button (Yes this mod has on demand pissing, what of it?)

Weapons:

Spoiler

Ripper (WIP) - Chainsaw.

Plinker - A pistol with an accurate primary fire and a secondary that is a 4 shot burst that does significant damage but uses 24 bullets uses less bullets now.

Stryker - A pump-action double barrel shotgun with two fire modes.

Eviscerator - An automatic belt-fed shotgun with ricochet rounds... Yes please.

Apocalypse-bringer (WIP) - A 9 barreled energy shotgun that has a limited range

Cobra (WIP) - A high power revolver.

TurboVulcan - A devastating hitscan weapon.

Revenant (WIP) - No not the spooki boi, I'm talking about a high power explosive sniper rifle.

Shredder - Minigun go brrr.

Breacher - Automatic shotgun, what's not to love

Hydra - an automatic railgun which appears to be a blatant ripoff of that other automatic railgun from that other mod

Buzzsaw - a devastating weapon that is a clear ripoff of that other buzzsaw from that other mod with an even more devastating alt and regenerating ammo

Eraser (WIP) - The bigger fucking gun... Stay well clear of it's blast radius

Thumper (WIP) - A fully automatic assault rifle in the pistol slot that's capable of taking different ammo types (this is a work in progress feature so take that as you may)

Bombardier's delight - Only thing I can say about it is blood 2 howitzer but not absolutely dog-shit

Bumblebee (WIP) - rocket launcher with a slow fire rate but high damage

Purifier (WIP) - A HIGHLY DEVASTATING FLAMETHROWER XDDDD

Combat knife (WIP) - second melee option that you start with

Enemies:

Spoiler

Overseer (WIP) A boss-type enemy that floats about and has a large health pool and a devastating projectile attack should you wander into the projectiles

Things I'm currently working on...

Spoiler

Custom voice lines
Custom enemy replacements

New weapons

New sounds

New enemies

Revamped versions of the old arsenal

Planned features:

Spoiler

Voxel models...  I'll probably add a cvar where you can change between sprites and voxels but it might not be for a while yet so don't get your hopes up... And don't ask me about it either, just assume I already said "when it's done!" :)
compatibility with other games such as heretic, hexen, strife, chex quest, harmony, and maybe the adventures of square if you're lucky...
the abilty to play as a certain red dragon... Only time will tell who that red dragon is however...
another playable character: Delta's girlfriend Alyssa "Echo" Calloway

download for the mod...

There is a credits and dedications text file in the mod, so you shouldn't have to worry about credits and all that... If I missed anything just let me know and I'll add it in the next update.

DISCLAIMER: DO NOT PLAY THIS WITH SLAUGHTER MAPS. IT WILL END TERRIBLY. INSTEAD, PLAY THIS WITH THE LIKES OF PLUTONIA OR SCYTHE

THE ADVENTURES OF DELTA V3

Bonus stuff:

Spoiler

The credits lump contains credits meant for the assets used in the standalone IWAD that I'll make when the mod is finished.
Also added a side-plot which implies that delta knows a particular red gun-toting dragon (Don't worry, it's not canon... Just pretend that the dragon is from a different timeline and thus, an alternate version of that dragon from a different timeline.)

Some feedback would be appreciated... Please...

I will be editing this post as time goes on so you shouldn't have to worry...

Screenies from previous versions.

Edited by DELTA256

Overseer's getting a bit of a rework for the next update. I aim for it to be done at best in 5 weeks, maybe less if I hoof it a little.

Don't forget to press that "follow member" button so I can keep you all up to date on the development on this mod and any other mod I make!

Internet's crapped out at my place so I have to use a friend's wifi which basically means there will be a HEAVY delay for this mod.

Just a suggestion:

You should put the "small bit of lore" behind a spoiler, it takes up an awful large amount of space in your OP. Maybe a couple other paragraphs as well. You want your OP to be straight to the point (while still conveying the overall concept of the mod) in order to attract people. It's fine to have a silly backstory, but it's not what's going to entice people to try your mod. You want to get to the gameplay changes/new weapons as soon as possible.

On 1/22/2023 at 10:22 AM, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

You want to get to the gameplay changes/new weapons as soon as possible.

Interesting thing: I'm currently working around the clock to overhaul the mod and there are a few new features:

1. Weapons will soon have a dedicated key bind, potentially negating the need to cycle through the weapon slots to find a particular weapon.

2. The difficulty settings have been scaled WAAAAY back, now there is only five difficulties rather than 10.

3. There is now a dedicated minigun and missile launcher that can be fired on demand.

4. There are new weapons that are quite devastating and punchy. Including a lever action shotgun imbued with hell magic!

Here's a recent screenie if you're interested.

Screenshot_Doom_20230123_141023.png.b1cc9c2bc95f8b60f614e64c411688b3.png

And you're right, I should condense the OP to make more attractive. I'll do that right-away good sir!

Oh, and before I go, Here are some screenshots for the next update!

Spoiler

Playing with the first new weapon: The helios siege cannon!

Playing with a mod called GunBonsai

Latest Screenshotties

Edited by DELTA256

I also implemented a system which I haven't seen in other doom mods which I like to call "DWSS" (Dynamic Weapon Switching System)

Here's how it works!

Spoiler

#library "WEAPONS"
#include "zcommon.acs"

//Submachine guns
Script "RECON" (void)
{
	if (checkinventory("Recon")==1)
	{
		setweapon("Recon");
	}
	else
	{
		print(s:"You don't have the recon yet");
	}
}

It works by checking if the player has a specific weapon. If the check runs through as true, then switch to that weapon. If false, then a message will display on the screen saying that you don't have that particular weapon.

Alias "SwitchToRecon" "PukeName RECON"

Addkeysection "Submachine guns" "Submachine guns"
AddMenuKey "Recon" "SwitchToRecon"

This is the KEYCONF section. Edited for demonstration purposes only

KeyBoiodzzz.PNG.cdf188c5cffe251662b54dab7eaf38d4.PNG

Ignoring the other keybinds for a second, I plan for all weapons to be capable of being bound to a particular key, negating the need to use the weapon keys.

The primary intention here is that if you love a particular weapon, you can set a key bind to it and switch to it immediately without cycling through the weapon slots.

This has been a quick explanation of the Dynamic Weapon Switching System! hope you enjoyed it and let me know what you think.

A list of a few planned gameplay elements for the next update:

The ability to store up to a thousand explosive barrels and throw them as weapons.

Grapping hook.

Wall-jumping.

A revised wall running system (dunno how I'm gonna do this one)*.

Crouch sliding.

The ability to interact with certain things, and shoot those things.

An execution/glory kill system.

*Yeah there's wall running, but it relies on the checkproximity acs function to work... NO YOU WILL NOT MAKE ME USE ZSCRIPT FOR THIS!!.

This is an incomplete list. You can help by suggesting random things to in here.

Side note: Once this next update rolls around, the current version available will be converted to a zip file instead of a pk3 which means this project will be open source...