Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
roadworx

how old is your computer?

welp, i just found out that my main pc, which i thought was already 9 years old, is actually 11 years old. it's a goddamn senior citizen, and i was clueless enough to think that it was semi-modern. my god.

...then again, it's still running windows 7, so idk what i expected.

in any case, because i desperately need to know that i'm not the only one with an old rust bucket, how old is your computer? not any vintage computers that you may have, i'm talking about the one you use for day-to-day tasks

My computer is 7 years old.

Windows 10

i5-6600

16GB Ram

Geforce 1060

Dual 27" Monitors.

I haven't upgraded anything since, except I bought the 2nd monitor last year.

My primary desktop is pushing 8 years old but has had numerous upgrades, and the cpu still does well. Laptop's probably 6.

My PC started life as a pre-built that I got when I was a kid almost 15 years ago and I think the only remaining part from the original build is a backup HDD that's somehow still running, but it spends 99% of its life in idle mode. Everything else got replaced and upgraded over the years.

I built it Christmas 2015, when my parents both got me all the parts. It was and still is my first computer that isn't total garbage (imo).

It's definitely noticeably slower tho, and is still on a hard drive...

6 months.

My previous one is sitting unplugged right next to it, it lived for 10 years. Despite all the upgrades, it kind of sucked. The new one seems to be about 10x more powerful

Mine is a little over two years old, it was my first self-built PC, and it isn’t the highest ended specs in any sense but it so far has gotten the job done and fit my $1,500 budget at the time. If I could do it over I definitely would’ve went about it differently but there’s a first time for everything for a reason. I do plan to build another more specced out PC in the near future. In the meantime, these are my specs:

X570 | AORUS PRO WIFI MOBO

AMD Ryzen 3 1200 Quad-Core CPU

Radeon RX 570 4GB GPU

16 GB RAM

1TB SSD

LIAN LI TU150X Aluminium Mini ITX Case

Windows 11 (originally was a Win10)

Well, according to Wikipedia the Hp EliteBook 8440p is from 2010, so approximately 13 years old, which I actually prefer since GNU/Linux tends to work better on older equipment like this. Here are my specs, courtesy of neofetch.

Spoiler

image.png.f40bef35f71bc12db33bca8fb4b6abf8.png

I'm thinking of upgrading the Ram to 8 gigs, but right now it's not essential. 4 is enough for my workflow.

Edited by xX_Lol6_Xx : Didn't embed the pic for some reason

54 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

I built it Christmas 2015, when my parents both got me all the parts. It was and still is my first computer that isn't total garbage (imo).

It's definitely noticeably slower tho, and is still on a hard drive...

Get an ssd, install your os on it and thank me later. 

I built my PC last year, it's mostly all solid mid-level stuff that I could finally afford after getting a job with a decent pay.

ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

64 GB RAM

GeForce 3070 GTX

Windows 10

Hopefully this will last me thorough the rest of the decade.

I'm using a refurbished Dell Latitude E6440 that I got from Newegg in early 2018. Sucks, but I can run DSDA-Doom on it without issue, so fuck it.

Much like Mushroom, the case is the oldest part of my computer. It still has the little sticker on the side where it says it had Windows 7 on it. I had all its guts replaced with a complete overhaul sometime in 2015 and have been replacing parts for it when needed. I had the motherboard replaced at some point in 2020, which forced me to switch over to Win10 because it wouldn't run on Win7. I've paid to be having my local computer man come over and replace the GPU for me next week.

43 minutes ago, xX_Lol6_Xx said:

Well, according to Wikipedia the Hp EliteBook 8440p is from 2010, so approximately 13 years old, which I actually prefer since GNU/Linux tends to work better on older equipment like this. Here are my specs, courtesy of neofetch.

Hide contents

image.png.f40bef35f71bc12db33bca8fb4b6abf8.png

I'm thinking of upgrading the Ram to 8 gigs, but right now it's not essential. 4 is enough for my workflow.

How is possible that we got our pc on the same year, and mine is infinitely worse...

I'm using a 7 and a half year old Dell Laptop I got in 2015. Never replaced anything and it's starting to give me error beeps a lot more frequently so I'm guessing the hard drive is going to fail pretty soon... I should probably start backing stuff up.

I had to look up when I got the parts for my computer and it's approaching the 10-year mark.

Win7 64-bit
i5-3570K
16 GB DDR3 ram
Asus GTX660 Ti 2GB
Samsung 840 Evo 250 GB SSD
WD 250 GB HDD
2x 1200p monitors, 2x 1080p monitors

I had a scare about two months ago when the SSD became really slow, to the point where moving Steam games to the HDD was more responsive. Reading up on that particular SSD model were a lot of reports of unusually rapid performance drops even with Samsung Magician. Somehow the SSD returned back to normal six-ish weeks after I changed SATA ports, but I'm still looking for an additional SSD that works for this computer.

Old as these parts are, they still work more or less for my purposes and I don't see a need to get a new setup. Hell, I'm still using a Microsoft internet keyboard that I got for my very first computer.

30 minutes ago, Herr Dethnout said:

How is possible that we got our pc on the same year

I actually got my current laptop something like half a year ago (And it isn't really mine, it's borrowed from my uncle)

33 minutes ago, Herr Dethnout said:

and mine is infinitely worse... 

Maybe this will make it better

Spoiler

Just kidding.

My current main PC has a Ryzen 5600X and an RTX 2060, and I had it built in August 2021.

But before that, my only computer was a Small Form Factor Optiplex 760 that I was stuck with for almost 8 TO 9 YEARS. Saying that it was too slow for me to do much of anything with it doesn't even begin to describe it. I had extreme lag and occasional freezing just using Google Chrome, and could basically only watch videos at 480p.

When I got my current computer I felt incredibly awkward just using it and opening programs because I had literally never actually used a computer that was this responsive, so everything felt unnaturally smooth not taking half a minute to open Chrome.

1 hour ago, Grimosaur said:

I'm using a 7 and a half year old Dell Laptop I got in 2015. Never replaced anything and it's starting to give me error beeps a lot more frequently so I'm guessing the hard drive is going to fail pretty soon... I should probably start backing stuff up.

Ah... dude... yeah. I've seen brand new discs fail in a day due to manufacturing defects. If you care at all about your files you should have some form of automated backup on all your devices. There's tempting Fate, and then there's kicking Fate in the nuts and daring him to chase you. You (and anyone else in a similar situation) are doing the latter.

Even with brand new computers or fresh ssds installed, none of my customers leave without an automated backup solution. 

My laptop at this point is 10-11 years old, thinking for the new replacement once I'm done with studies. 

It's a Laptop that I got in May 2018, but judging by the components and OS Version it was from 2017 (Windows 10 Home 17XX).

It wasn't able to upgrade past 1806 until Microsoft forced everyone to upgrade to 1903. Resources are falling short in 21H2, but it's still bearable.

Asus Zenbook X541N-GO013T

CPU: Intel Pentium N4200 1.10GHz (turbo 2.50GHz)
RAM: 4GB 1600MHz
Motherboard: Asus probabbly, lol
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 505
HDD: TOSHIBA MQ01ABF050 (500GB, 5400rpm)

Semi-offtopic but, I get why we need 8GB minimum nowadays, but my father with an 16yr old pc with 3-ish GB ram, an ATI Radeon video card, an AMD Athlon 64 X2 CPU, all that on an Asus motherboard (which was one of the first that adopted AMD CPUs) "can't comprehend" why he would need 8GB... It's web browsing of course (fucking Chrome)

We managed to install Windows 10 (32 bit) on that thing with an SSD, and it's still kicking! But I hope the next big update doesn't destroy it...

5 hours ago, roadworx said:

welp, i just found out that my main pc, which i thought was already 9 years old, is actually 11 years old. it's a goddamn senior citizen, and i was clueless enough to think that it was semi-modern. my god.

...then again, it's still running windows 7, so idk what i expected.

in any case, because i desperately need to know that i'm not the only one with an old rust bucket, how old is your computer? not any vintage computers that you may have, i'm talking about the one you use for day-to-day tasks

Well, if you buy your hardware wisely than Computers will hold up pretty long nowadays.

My actual PC is from 2018 and the one before from 2009.

Less than 2 years.

And the motherboard has already had to be replaced once. At least I know this'll be the first and last prebuilt I buy.

the cpu is a xeon from 2012 or 2013?? but i got all the parts slowly during the first half of 2016, all parts have held up well

except for the power supply, that failed a few months ago

Around 2 years old. I bought it in the depths of lockdown.

I didn’t have a real (gaming) computer of my own besides from a small laptop for University. Realised how much I missed gaming as a form of stress relief, so was one of my first investments as I started working.

16gb RAM.. can’t remember other specs… perhaps I’ll re edit later as I grab em! Either way, it’s serviced me well and cost around 700 GBP. 

I'm purely laptop based and have been since about 2017. My old desktop dated to 2005, the only spec I can recall now is that it ran XP and had an ATI Radeon 2600 Pro in it. That card probably did get replaced but I forget what by. Previously I'd had a GeForce 3 and a Voodoo 2 in there.

My current laptop has a Ryzen 3 and 12GB of RAM, the most I could push it to past the stock 8GB. This serves me well enough for most things, though I can't really play many newer games. I have thought about getting a desktop again, but the potential cost and the fact that I don't really *need* one atm is holding me back. I'd want to build it myself though if I did. 

${DEMON} only knows ... case, mainboard, & CPU are 2014 (CPU was an upgrade though), RAM sticks haven't a clue, GPU from 2017, kbd & mouse from 2022. It runs Planisphere 2 at a usable speed and that's good enough for me :P