Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RED77

[Community Project] 666CRETS - A CP about secrets (PRIVATE ALPHA 0.2 )

Looks like good fun and i love making secrets! The time table seems to be long enough for me to incorporate it. I'll take map15 if thats open.

6 hours ago, Rabbid said:

so maybe difficult like Hell Revealed but not slaughter like scythe I guess?

That sounds about right

1 hour ago, Rabbid said:

btw I really like the gothic textures used here...

It's a cool set, right?

1 hour ago, RastaManGames said:

4 out of 6 secrets is hidden and 2 are ready to play in hide and seek...

image.png.fc8a63a26d1106c7e060f344e541941c.png

It looks like a house full of secrets is on its way! Love it

7 minutes ago, DFF said:

Looks like good fun and i love making secrets! The time table seems to be long enough for me to incorporate it. I'll take map15 if thats open.

Amazing. Wellcome to the project

I'm interested in joining in, claiming MAP18. One question, is it possible to add environmental damage in higher difficulties? 

1 hour ago, Worm318 said:

I'm interested in joining in, claiming MAP18. One question, is it possible to add environmental damage in higher difficulties? 

Welcome aboard.

About your question. You can add barrels for example. About crushers and damaging floors, you can come around with some tricks as long as You maintain the complevel 9.
And the idea it's that you should experience the full map on all skills.

4 hours ago, Worm318 said:

Hey @Worm318
After thinking it a little bit, here's my solution to environmental harm on harder skills:

It's a simple setup with a clone of the environment + the hazard, and teleport destinations changed by skill.

Here I made a concept if you wanna check:
Skill option.rar

Hope that helps

3 hours ago, RED77 said:

It's a simple setup with a clone of the environment + the hazard, and teleport destinations changed by skill.

Here I made a concept if you wanna check:
Skill option.rar

I was asking because the distribution of rules gave me the impression that enviromental damage was forbidden as it was in the rules section and it wasn't included in the custom difficulty settings illustrations.

Anyways, I already had in mind a setup using voodoo dolls. Although my first idea didn't work, I was able to get a functioning demo (quickly tested in prboom+, dsda and gzdoom). 

example.zip

Sorry if it is too small and cramped, but I came up with ol'good "escape from room" idea when I read up description of that community project!

🔸 Map Name: "Let Me Out!!!"

🔸 Author: RastaManGames

🔸 Music: "Prowling Through The Fog" by Decino

🔸 Ports Tested: DSDA-Doom 0.25.2 / GZDoom 4.10.0 / LZDoom  3.88B

🔸 Difficulty Settings: Yes (according to this project's rules).

🔹 Description: Easy -> You planned to go for some walk today, but you forgot to bring your keys to the exit from your beloved apartment. Now this is gonna be some kind of silly quest to find them out!

Medium -> Your position was compromised and you was ambushed in your own home! And these bastards locked you in. Did I mentioned that they also stole your keys and hid them? Now you know. Beat their butts and find your way out!
                        Hard -> Hell is everywhere now... And you can't find any safety even in your own house now! Door behind you was mystically sealed with magic keys that is guarded by the Hellish beasts. This isn't gonna be a cakewalk. Prepare yourself, because they are everywhere now.

🔹 Notes: I hope that everything gonna be smooth this time. I've tried my best to set up those secret specials...

Download V1 (Google.Drive)

Some Screenies:

Spoiler

ATevsFy.png

Auto-Map (WithOut Spoilers):

Spoiler

Builder_rplrSrgynm.png.cb0525217e0497239f338b8496512c5d.png

Edited by RastaManGames

I have a new question... if a secret is indicated by a hidden barrel explosion...would I need to change that for Easy mode?

8 hours ago, Worm318 said:

I was asking because the distribution of rules gave me the impression that enviromental damage was forbidden as it was in the rules section and it wasn't included in the custom difficulty settings illustrations.

Anyways, I already had in mind a setup using voodoo dolls. Although my first idea didn't work, I was able to get a functioning demo (quickly tested in prboom+, dsda and gzdoom). 

example.zip

The idea is just in the easy skill level. I did not consider the possibility of adding that kind of change to harder skills, but I'm all for it. Go ahead!
The demo works perfect.

7 hours ago, Rabbid said:

I have a new question... if a secret is indicated by a hidden barrel explosion...would I need to change that for Easy mode?

The only way that I can allow an explosive barrel on easy skill is if that barrel can't hurt the player in any capacity. If your setup works that way go for it but bear in mind to avoid any scenario where your intended play can be broken (except for cheats, cheaters clearly are not there for the challenge)

that is kinda what I was talking about its probably somewhere close, but only hearable it just can't hurt you XD

The hardest part is doing that... without it hurting you... hmm

7 hours ago, RastaManGames said:

Sorry if it is too small and cramped, but I came up with ol'good "escape from room" idea when I read up description of that community project!

🔸 Map Name: "Let Me Out!!!"

🔸 Author: RastaManGames

🔸 Music: "Prowling Through The Fog" by Decino

🔸 Ports Tested: DSDA-Doom 0.25.2 / GZDoom 4.10.0 / LZDoom  3.88B

🔸 Difficulty Settings: Yes (according to this project's rules).

🔹 Description: Easy -> You planned to go for some walk today, but you forgot to bring your keys to the exit from your beloved apartment. Now this is gonna be some kind of silly quest to find them out!

Medium -> Your position was compromised and you was ambushed in your own home! And these bastards locked you in. Did I mentioned that they also stole your keys and hid them? Now you know. Beat their butts and find your way out!
                        Hard -> Hell is everywhere now... And you can't find any safety even in your own house now! Door behind you was mystically sealed with magic keys that is guarded by the Hellish beasts. This isn't gonna be a cakewalk. Prepare yourself, because they are everywhere now.

🔹 Notes: I hope that everything gonna be smooth this time. I've tried my best to set up those secret specials...

Download V1 (Google.Drive)

Some Screenies:

Reveal hidden contents

ATevsFy.png

Auto-Map (WithOut Spoilers):

Reveal hidden contents

Builder_rplrSrgynm.png.cb0525217e0497239f338b8496512c5d.png

A great map. and you grasp the concept perfectly. 
I have no revisions in mind, plus I tested several times on different difficulties and everything seems to work fine. 
A great deal with doomcute here, but I never had any problem getting stuck on it.

Spoiler

The implement of Wolfenstein SS. lol. I was not expecting that, but i think it's super fun.

6 minutes ago, HUNdebLeonidasX said:

This one sounds fun too. Map 10 maybe. 

Perfect! Great to have you!

1 hour ago, RED77 said:

Perfect! Great to have you!

Actually one idea that might work with some conveyor belt scripting (no experience with DSDA-Doom, but i dont think it changes what worked in prboom) is a hide and seek type of map where you have to find 6 hiding monster (or six player, or decoration in the peacful mode) around the map then exit

I have an idea forming around my head just have to check the texture pack to decide the desing.

2 minutes ago, HUNdebLeonidasX said:

Actually one idea that might work with some conveyor belt scripting (no experience with DSDA-Doom, but i dont think it changes what worked in prboom) is a hide and seek type of map where you have to find 6 hiding monster (or six player, or decoration in the peacful mode) around the map then exit

I have an idea forming around my head just have to check the texture pack to decide the desing.

Can't wait to see it!

@RED77 Sorry for bothering, but seems that there is problem with animation of that liquid (OWATER):

image.png.b0de530c6273e2f04a73986490a0fbc3.png

I have variety of liquids on my map, but only this is static, for some reasons...

3 hours ago, RastaManGames said:

@RED77 Sorry for bothering, but seems that there is problem with animation of that liquid (OWATER):

I have variety of liquids on my map, but only this is static, for some reasons...

I'll check the texture wad later and try to solve it.

3 hours ago, noob_killer012345678 said:

Id love to make a map for this. Its an intresting idea, and i do not wanna miss another good oppertunity to make something great

Great to hear that! Welcome! 

- The concept is interesting, but I do think that disallowing authors from adding more secrets than the mandatory 6 is unnecessarily restrictive. It doesn't seem to be for a total of 666 secrets, because that would be 111 levels.

- No Death Exits, and no inescapable pits I understand, but completely disallowing damaging floors? I'm not a huge fan of crushers or damaging floors myself, but that seems to be an unnecessary restriction on the design of a level.

I actually recorded a WAV from the movie "Sneakers" where Robert Redford's character says "Too Many Secrets", thinking I might use it to replace the DSSECRET sound in one of my WAD's. Maybe that could be of use.

I'll give this a shot, I don't care about map number.

4 hours ago, Stabbey said:

- The concept is interesting, but I do think that disallowing authors from adding more secrets than the mandatory 6 is unnecessarily restrictive. It doesn't seem to be for a total of 666 secrets, because that would be 111 levels.

- No Death Exits, and no inescapable pits I understand, but completely disallowing damaging floors? I'm not a huge fan of crushers or damaging floors myself, but that seems to be an unnecessary restriction on the design of a level.

I actually recorded a WAV from the movie "Sneakers" where Robert Redford's character says "Too Many Secrets", thinking I might use it to replace the DSSECRET sound in one of my WAD's. Maybe that could be of use.

I'll give this a shot, I don't care about map number.

Hello @Stabbey! Great to hear you are joining.

About your concerns:

-The goal is not 666 secrets in total, but just a pun. The restriction on 6 is just to make maps not THAT long. If you feel you want to do more of this concept you can always do more than one map.

-The restriction on the damaging sector is only for the easy skill, For the other skills you can add them. Here I made a simple setup for you to have an idea:
Skill option.rar

I'll give you map 12

3 hours ago, noob_killer012345678 said:

I was bored and checked. Problem is that OWATER isnt defined in any of the Animated lumps

Thanks for the data. I'll solve it as soon as I can

11 hours ago, RastaManGames said:

Hey @RastaManGames. I've updated the textures. It should work now

jimmytex.wad

Hey, there you go! 

Slot MAP05

🔸 Map Name: "Its 4 AM and you're alone in Odamex"

🔸 Author: Rataunderground

🔸 Music: Twilight Zone by Wonder

🔸 Ports Tested: DSDA-Doom 

🔸 Difficulty Settings: Implemented 

Spoiler

7aAjHM8.jpg

Remember to use Jimmytex.

Download: https://mega.nz/file/MChEHaqC#ifcJdGB9KwzKX2nleHMQOPqPUtoNNOEGIMtKrgwSHR8

If you need any changes, let me know.

Edited by RataUnderground

8 hours ago, RataUnderground said:

Hey, there you go! 

Slot MAP05

🔸 Map Name: "Its 4 AM and you're alone in Odamex"

🔸 Author: Rataunderground

🔸 Music: Twilight Zone by Wonder

🔸 Ports Tested: DSDA-Doom 

🔸 Difficulty Settings: Implemented 

Reveal hidden contents

7aAjHM8.jpg

Remember to use Jimmytex.

Download: https://mega.nz/file/MChEHaqC#ifcJdGB9KwzKX2nleHMQOPqPUtoNNOEGIMtKrgwSHR8

If you need any changes, let me know.

Hey @RataUnderground.
I've tested your map. Very interesting approach and I enjoyed it very much.
I especially enjoyed the atmosphere, It feels creepy in a good way. (music complements perfectly)
In general really simple, but really well executed.
And I like the scares with the viles.

Just some notes to change(some are spoilers so I put them as hidden):

Spoiler

1- On Easy skill, you should get rid of all items that are not ammo for the pistol or decorations (no other weapons, health, armor, etc...)
2- Medium and Hard Skill are the same. Maybe this is a misunderstanding with the way my info is presented, but Hard skill should be a bigger challenge, fur sure.
3- In the first area there are a couple of texture misalignments.

Spoiler

coso1.png.f57dfb3b4e8285782afb09cb94625823.png

4-The first secret (the underwater one) I'll hint at in some capacity, cause I run into it only by chance. The rest of them you can find by observation, which is perfect. But this one I didn't see it.

5- the second area has no secrets or fights. It feels weird that way. Kind of breaks the flow of the level.

Spoiler

coso2.png.e5aa26a75b0f3121119171fbdc67e92b.png

And, besides that, I have two questions (and this is not for you to make any changes, just for curiosity as a mapper myself)

1) It seems you use not a single texture from the extra resources, only vanilla doom II textures. Is there a reason for that or just a mere coincidence? (I like the aesthetics of the map, don't feel pressure to change it, please)

2) besides the beginning area, the rest is hidden on the computer area map. Is that by design? 

Once again, Great map, and thanks for your work. I'll wait for the new version!

Thank you!

New version (v1.1): https://mega.nz/file/NPhgmJiA#iEjUKy9xAcM_LrykiUzz9yce-4PFfKOuCzOo1P2xRFo

Changes made:

Spoiler

1- On Easy skill, you should get rid of all items that are not ammo for the pistol or decorations (no other weapons, health, armor, etc...)

Done

2- Medium and Hard Skill are the same. Maybe this is a misunderstanding with the way my info is presented, but Hard skill should be a bigger challenge, fur sure.

Done for medium Skill, I change some monster to make some situations easier.

3- In the first area there are a couple of texture misalignments.

Fixed

4-The first secret (the underwater one) I'll hint at in some capacity, cause I run into it only by chance. The rest of them you can find by observation, which is perfect. But this one I didn't see it.

Now is hinted with a light value slightly brighter in the wall.

5- the second area has no secrets or fights. It feels weird that way. Kind of breaks the flow of the level.

Fight added. Some monster closets.

1) It seems you use not a single texture from the extra resources, only vanilla doom II textures. Is there a reason for that or just a mere coincidence? (I like the aesthetics of the map, don't feel pressure to change it, please)

It is kind of a coincidence. I went for a classic 90s Dwango arena aesthetic, so stock textures is enough for that. Besides, I don't find jimmytex very useful. I used some of the switch textures and the waterfalls, but yeah, didn't feel the need for any other. 

2) besides the beginning area, the rest is hidden on the computer area map. Is that by design? 

Yes, just to protect somewhat the "mystery" of the map and don't reveal the secrets too easy.

Is it okay the put demons in the easy difficulty but instead of killing them you just have to locate them and if you find them...

They either teleport instantly (placing them inside a sector with teleporting lines, so when the demon sees you and starts running towards you it steps into the line and gets teleported instantly. (in easy and hard, so they can't harm you/make the fight harder)

Or the main task is to lure them to a teleporter. (in medium where there's no other enemies in the hiding room)

2 minutes ago, HUNdebLeonidasX said:

Is it okay the put demons in the easy difficulty but instead of killing them you just have to locate them and if you find them.

They either teleport instantly (placing them inside a sector with teleporting lines, so when the demon sees you and starts running towards you it steps into the line and gets teleported. (in easy and hard, so they can't harm you/make the fight harder)

Or the main task is to lure them to a teleporter. (in medium where there's no other enemies in the hiding room)

That sound like a very interesting premise. I think it's fine as long as the setup avoids any chance of them hurting the player.