Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clippy

Seasonal Affectiveness Disorder - now on IDGAMES!!

This map took me longer than you'd expect because I spent some time mucking around in this level playing with infighting, and I actually took the time to find all the secrets for once! What a map!

Really fun map. A little bit more open than usual. but it has your brand all over it.

That exit switch was tight

Fun stuff, kept me on my toes to the end - especially with that pincer move from the monsters, when I ran back out to the start after letting out the Cyber and friends. I liked how it flowed and the first encounter was a nice challenge of infighting and ammo management. Great job for 5 hours! Also trick exit ftw. 

Great map, plays quite frantically the first time on UV, and feels really smooth to go through quickly in replays.

Specific notes, since I was asked to play/test:

Spoiler

- On UV, without secrets, the player is kind of put on a bit of a health limit, since you're only given the initial mega + a couple sprinklings of +1s. You can also grab that mega-armor off the box, but it's not much help since you have no health after refreshing the armor. Putting a couple of medkits in the fake exit room would make sense imo.

- Initial resource scramble is great, BUT it is possible to run out of ammo if you don't let enough enough infighting happen. If you care, I think you could shove a bullet box somewhere outside or before the blue door and it would put you at an amount where you still have to pay attention.

- The outside soulphere secret is great design.

- Finale fight + clean-up afterwards feels solid.

- It's pretty visually simple and I like that. I also enjoy having another ice/snow/winter-themed map that isn't also decked from head to toe in the Christmas pack sounds/textures/etc.

Hey clippy fun map, enjoyed playing it without dying lol (HMP) 

I had to play on phone because Im not able to play doom on pc lol, Winter is almost gone haha finally

btw ps this yellow Mark is amazing, love it

owemoneyy.png

Edited by Pezl

1 minute ago, Andrea Rovenski said:

Is it finalized? :)

I have a lot of people here to thank and give comments to but I'll stop by just to say

I haven't made a single alteration to upon release and I don't plan to

And I'm hoping something won't come up that will make me so I would like to call it finalized

Played it yesteday, had troubles with ammo at the beginning but finally got some ammo after which is alright. Didn't die but was close to it especially with unexpected archi and cyber at final fight, could somehow kill them both without taking massive damage :v

Okay map, can't say much rly since it's a speedmap, not bad :P

Really great map buddy. The fights were intense and well balanced, and the Cyberdemon was especially cinematic. I think it sums up SAD quite well. Hang in there man.

Oh! This looks neat. I have a soft spot for Ice Levels. And Short too. I'll play this tomorrow

Man - I can't thank you guys enough - in a short amount of time I got an abundance of videos to watch and I enjoyed em all! This is without a doubt the most well received map I ever made and it was totally on a whim! Sometimes what is going on in real life finds its way into a map and yes I do have SAD and this time of the year its constant feeling of exhaustion and dread - but I try my best to stay positive and spread positivity - so I thank you all SO MUCH!

@mancubian_candidate - kudos on getting the first reply and first vid up - pulling off a single segment was impressive and helped my doubts this map may be too impossibly hard (it kicked my own ass in limited testing_ = what a treat - thanks!

@thelamp whoa buddy you are on fire lately- you remind me of a young ambitious me- I think I see you in every thread - keep it up buddy! Your video was great and you did great too - always nice seeing u around!

@JaySmithen - I was beyond thrilled seeing your glowing review of my map buddy - it means a lot and really boosted my day that day!

@Dub Bag - thanks SO much man - I never see you around too much these days so it's always a treat when I do - I love your videos and comedy man - I watched this one twice lol - so good - your reactions and commentary are a total delight - good stuff buddy!

@RED77 - thanks man I like to try different things - I hope to make more open maps like this in the future - I love to make player reuse areas and repopulate them etc -- the exit switch was my silly way to keep the player in the fight but I know its a little out there haha

@Somniac - thank you! I was hoping to keep the player on their toes and bring frantic chaos to this experience! I am happy to see nobody seemed to get hung up on the exit (for too long)

@Maribo - super extra nice to see your feedback here - I always value it! I didn't consider you could early grab the armour but it's ok - I really dont want to change this map since so many played it but value your feedback ---- thats why I made the key like that to prevent an early grab - some extra health in exit room could be nice but you can also run to the blueberry if you know the map -- I recognize you can run out of ammo en route to the dark hallway - it happened to me a few times - but I am so hell bent on the theme of only collecting shells and bullets from dead guys - it is a bit of trial and error but its at the start of a short map - so hopefully not too bad -- anywayo good stuff!

@Biodegradable very nice to see you playing my maps again but - I know my last few outings have been fucked but you handles this map like a pro - surprised i didn't kill ya - super good job and glad you had fun! It means a lot! I remember back when we were the two major players in vid making good times - thanks for the kind words as well! Lets make some more vids together buddy

@baja blast rd. - kudos on a superb run and getting all the secrets - good times

@Pezl you played this on a phone you mad man LOL - thanks for having a look! glad you like the yellow markings I was wanting to try different ways of signposting

@Andrea Rovenski thanks again for interest in my map - it may be up your alley - again after so many played it I don't expect to make changes - its been passed around so much I cant imagine any game breaking bugs here and I want to keep the original file all the way to ID games I surely hope!

@MAN_WITH_GUN "not bad" I will take it lol - yes the gimmick is tight ammo at the start - I somehow knew you would pull off a saveless blind - mad skillz

@Dusty_Rhodes Thanks for feedback - glad you liked it - I was trying to emulate SAD somehow - that feeling like you cant make any progress and have to struggle - I am indeed hanging in there and thanks for the well wishes - the positive of this community and well reception to my map helped loads -- I feel happy I got to actually get off my ass and make something

@LadyMistDragon - watched your demo - thats about the experience I expected on a first run before you hae to think about adjusting for ammo shortage - thats probably the biggest road block in the map - no worries about time I am glad you looked at it at all!

@Zulk RS how did it go

@RataUnderground I surely did not intend to make maps to make ppl angry haha - but I will admit and should have warned how hard UV was, especially that you have to discover and adjust to the opening ammo shortage- ultimately I hope ppl have fun in the longrun but sorry for any mental anguish along the way - but hey I am trying to replicate the torment of being frustrated with SAD so ummmm maybe I did my job afterall - lol - seriously good video and I enjoyed the run -

Good times everyone!

I will hope to make a reveal vid soon and send this exact file to ID games so as not to wreck anyones demos etc

1 minute ago, Clippy said:

Man - I can't thank you guys enough - in a short amount of time I got an abundance of videos to watch and I enjoyed em all! This is without a doubt the most well received map I ever made and it was totally on a whim! Sometimes what is going on in real life finds its way into a map and yes I do have SAD and this time of the year its constant feeling of exhaustion and dread - but I try my best to stay positive and spread positivity - so I thank you all SO MUCH!

@mancubian_candidate - kudos on getting the first reply and first vid up - pulling off a single segment was impressive and helped my doubts this map may be too impossibly hard (it kicked my own ass in limited testing_ = what a treat - thanks!

@thelamp whoa buddy you are on fire lately- you remind me of a young ambitious me- I think I see you in every thread - keep it up buddy! Your video was great and you did great too - always nice seeing u around!

@JaySmithen - I was beyond thrilled seeing your glowing review of my map buddy - it means a lot and really boosted my day that day!

@Dub Bag - thanks SO much man - I never see you around too much these days so it's always a treat when I do - I love your videos and comedy man - I watched this one twice lol - so good - your reactions and commentary are a total delight - good stuff buddy!

@RED77 - thanks man I like to try different things - I hope to make more open maps like this in the future - I love to make player reuse areas and repopulate them etc -- the exit switch was my silly way to keep the player in the fight but I know its a little out there haha

@Somniac - thank you! I was hoping to keep the player on their toes and bring frantic chaos to this experience! I am happy to see nobody seemed to get hung up on the exit (for too long)

@Maribo - super extra nice to see your feedback here - I always value it! I didn't consider you could early grab the armour but it's ok - I really dont want to change this map since so many played it but value your feedback ---- thats why I made the key like that to prevent an early grab - some extra health in exit room could be nice but you can also run to the blueberry if you know the map -- I recognize you can run out of ammo en route to the dark hallway - it happened to me a few times - but I am so hell bent on the theme of only collecting shells and bullets from dead guys - it is a bit of trial and error but its at the start of a short map - so hopefully not too bad -- anywayo good stuff!

@Biodegradable very nice to see you playing my maps again but - I know my last few outings have been fucked but you handles this map like a pro - surprised i didn't kill ya - super good job and glad you had fun! It means a lot! I remember back when we were the two major players in vid making good times - thanks for the kind words as well! Lets make some more vids together buddy

@baja blast rd. - kudos on a superb run and getting all the secrets - good times

@Pezl you played this on a phone you mad man LOL - thanks for having a look! glad you like the yellow markings I was wanting to try different ways of signposting

@Andrea Rovenski thanks again for interest in my map - it may be up your alley - again after so many played it I don't expect to make changes - its been passed around so much I cant imagine any game breaking bugs here and I want to keep the original file all the way to ID games I surely hope!

@MAN_WITH_GUN "not bad" I will take it lol - yes the gimmick is tight ammo at the start - I somehow knew you would pull off a saveless blind - mad skillz

@Dusty_Rhodes Thanks for feedback - glad you liked it - I was trying to emulate SAD somehow - that feeling like you cant make any progress and have to struggle - I am indeed hanging in there and thanks for the well wishes - the positive of this community and well reception to my map helped loads -- I feel happy I got to actually get off my ass and make something

@LadyMistDragon - watched your demo - thats about the experience I expected on a first run before you hae to think about adjusting for ammo shortage - thats probably the biggest road block in the map - no worries about time I am glad you looked at it at all!

@Zulk RS how did it go

@RataUnderground I surely did not intend to make maps to make ppl angry haha - but I will admit and should have warned how hard UV was, especially that you have to discover and adjust to the opening ammo shortage- ultimately I hope ppl have fun in the longrun but sorry for any mental anguish along the way - but hey I am trying to replicate the torment of being frustrated with SAD so ummmm maybe I did my job afterall - lol - seriously good video and I enjoyed the run -

Good times everyone!

I will hope to make a reveal vid soon and send this exact file to ID games so as not to wreck anyones demos etc

thank you buddy I love your maps! Good times!

You're a treasure Clippy. I really do genuinely enjoy hanging with you and your maps are awesome. Here's to more great levels!

I get hit pretty badly by SAD at this time every year, so I felt a pretty strong connection with the map's theme. The modified assets were spot on, and honestly hit me harder than I thought - "cold but not Christmas" is exactly the impression they gave me, with an accompanying feeling of, well, sadness. The layout and architecture are pretty simple but feel deliberate and lean well into the feeling. I found difficulty to be prefect for me on HNTR, it wasn't too hard but I still had to pay attention to what I was doing. I managed to 100% the map, though I found that last secret completely by accident and only because I was fast enough to make it but not fast enough to press the switch before the lift took me up. I enjoyed it overall, I really like how unique your maps and themes are with every wad you release.

16 hours ago, Clippy said:

@Zulk RS how did it go

Just now beat it. As I do with all wads I play regardless of intended sourceport, I played it on Zandronum with infinitely tall monsters disabled (I like running under/over monsters), with saves and on UV.

It was a lot more intense than I was expecting. I was expecting a more chill but longer map. This was definitely not that lol.

I liked the "Oh shit" moment that the map starts with. This is the kind of "hot-ish start" I actually like in maps. I don't like hot starts so starting out in the same room as many monsters but all of them looking away is a good start in my books. I loaded up the map, turned around and saw an army of monsters behind me with no weapons to defend myself with.

After throwing big in fight parties I think I struggled a bit with low ammo and health. Maybe I took a bit more hits than necessary too.

I found 4 out of 5 secrets with 2 of them being found way too late for it to be useful for me. I also encountered a weird Cyberdemon behavior where the Cyber shot the ground to hit me with splash damage. I don't know what caused that but that was a fun experience.

I liked the aesthetic of the map. I liked how it looked. Probably because I like both night skies and ice themed maps. I think my only real gripe with this map is the frowny face was a bit annoying when trying to throw infight parties with the Cybie and also the timed exit lift was a bit too tight.

Good map!

@NoisyVelvet thank you - nice to see this setting put to the test - enjoyed watching it!

@Dusty_Rhodes thanks buddy heres to hoping for more good times

@The Royal We those words were all the things I was going for - glad u like

@brick Looks like we're in the same boat - hope you're hanging in there buddy - sounds like since we have the same situation you got my map hahaha - yup I yanked the snow covered items from @Doomkid christmas mod being sure to not grab anything that remotely felt like Christmas  - but the cold items with the intentionally white and gray cold textures is exactly what I was going for - and the clear starry sky - wanted it to feel as cold as possible - metallic cold crates and so forth - u get it --- anywho - I am not the best at texturing or making walls look good but yeah it does kind of help the map theme that its kind of bare and desolate - good times I will try to make a more cheery map next time - but somehow I was inspired to put my affliction into a map and it seems to have been received well

@Zulk RS look at all those words! Thank you! thanks for the description and stuff - your retelling of the opening is what I was going for - cause you start looking at a happy megasphere and yeah look behind you lol -- but yeah the opening is meant to be a careful play on resources - your only ammo is from dead guys - everyone struggles there - its hard going really til you get past the dark imp hallway -- weird never heard of that cyber thing. And the bfg and soul sphere are freebies - they open at end and its a reward for looking around - I def always seem to have harder openings than endings - sorry about frowny face I didnt think it would be an obstacle too much - I never hang out in that room for final battle so didnt try it a lot lol

good times all

thanks so much!

IDGAMES and reveal vid soon

but now stay tuned cause something hot is about to drop!

alright guys - I cant thank you all enough for your feedback and support

I have sent it to IDGAMES !

the above video will be public later but for now I am leaving my promo for the "Pleasant Vibes from the Party Garage" as my last video so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle

have a good one everyone!

Very fun short map with an innovative theme, had a blast playing through this one :) 

Here's my FDA (played with Crispy Doom), sorry I didn't find all secrets :c I actually wanted to go secret hunting, but I didn't expect the exit button to actually behave as an exit button :)

Spoiler

Cool little map, sad I messed up the video, I wasnt recording when I finally finished the map with my bare fists.

I can assure you is doable Tyson style. Tried it quite a few times after that but no luck heh

The thing is to lure and make infight almost everything, the strat was to get a good amount of revs out before getting the

secret berserk, if you get it to fast it becomes annoying due to revs getting inside the secret and making the place difficult to navigate.

Once you cleared the starting monsters is time for jump and grab the yellow key the "non intended way" and killing all the

hitscanners with a good old sneak and peek one by one.

Then is time for some RNG against the 1st arch encounter, you just gotta push and punch and block out the monsters,

but theres a chance archi go wild.

After that is time for more run and infight and making sure cyber get a good dose of damage, but obviously you gotta finish him personally,

that the hardest part. After that is just a single archi, same method as previous.

Really upset about the video, but good times nevertheless!