Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zark

Multiplayer Games

I'm trying to organise a big LAN-game at my school for Comic Relief in March, and I was wondering if anyone new some good multiplayer games to play? My first thought was Quake III, but we did that a couple of years ago and I'd like to try something else. UT2K3 was my second choice but these machines couldn't handle it (They're Celeron 667Mhz with Intel 810 graphics cards, and 64Mb RAM, so not too hot). Any game that we did play would have to be easy to pick up and play, fast, not too complicated and good fun. Any suggestions? Action games preferred.

boris said:

Umm... Doom? :P

Bah, I don't really like Doom multiplayer. It's a bit too fast for my liking.

Counterstrike
Day Of Defeat
Team Fortress (Any version)
Unreal Tournament GOTYE (Maybe with the BuF Pack mod)
Worms
Soldat
GTA2

I'd have to say Unreal Tournament or Serious Sam. Or, if you want to stray from 3d shooters, how about Starcraft or some MMORPG?

Vulg@r said:

I'd have to say Unreal Tournament or Serious Sam.

yeah ut is alright, and I still play quake3 now and then. Serious Sam is a blast co-op.

Command & Conquer - the original (preferably higher res Win 95 Gold Edition), Red Alert (1), and/or Tiberian Sun, add-ons optional, all up to 8 players I think except original is only 4.

Dune 2000

Warcraft 2

Death Rally - up to four players, cool overhead view racing game, gamepad recommended

Descent - I haven't tried 2 or 3 but the original is pretty cool for deathmatch.

As far as arcade games go there's the 6 player X-Men game and 4 player Simpsons and Ninja Turtles (Isn't it Hero Turtles in Europe?).

I could recommend some bitching four player NES and SNES games, mostly some really wicked Japanese 8-bit ones ones (might want to check out the Technos section of my homepage).

Torn said:

ew! counter-strike.

Hmmm....the Counter-strike community is Shitty. I'd say Q3A, or UT. Capture the flag on facing worlds is groovy. :D

Or Doom. :)

ravage said:

Diablo 1. But I'll play with you over battle.net. :P

I was going to say that, but you need 1 cd for each person playing. Thats the only reason I never played it on my LAN.

one must fall #### ( the first one )
serious sam
flight simulator
x wing vs tie fighter
doom
duke nukem 3d
americas army
unreal tournyment
some driving games
midtown madness

kain said:

one must fall #### ( the first one )

OMF 2097, and yes it is fun. Anyone played DMF for Doom tho? :P

the_Danarchist said:

I was going to say that, but you need 1 cd for each person playing. Thats the only reason I never played it on my LAN.

It's called a cd burner. There's nothing wrong with personal copys, as long as you're not selling. (I think) Besdies, I got two legit copies myself anyways. :P

Some games have an exe patch where you don't need the CD (I use the one for Duke3d Atomic Edition). Those are good for LAN games so you don't have to make X # of copies or do disk-swapping.

Liam the Bard said:

counter-strike and ut is all you need

Yeah, those, and Doom of course :P

Playing CS with people you know is pretty cool, but I never cared much for playing with complete-stranger-assholes.

Hmm. Counter-strike is a bit difficult for newbies to pick up and play, what with the teams etc.

Unreal Tournament - I'd play it but I lost my damn CD. Twice. I'm gonna need to go and buy a copy.

Driving Games - not sure about this one. There will be about 16 players playing at once, I dunno how that would work.

Shadow Warrior for DOS-based fun.
Quake 2 has good DM maps and weapons and isn't so computer intensive.
Unreal Tournament.
The prior version of Zdaemon.

Use3D said:
Serious Sam is a blast co-op.

YES! I hate to say it, but in many ways, Serious Sam is a better co-op games then doo-

/me gets a paino dropped on him.