Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
taedev

How to get a wad update (Super Mayhem 17) to work?

How do I get Super Mayhem 17's update to work with .bat files?

If I use a .bat file to play the demo, the demo is desynced.

When I drag and drop files into dsda-doom 0.25.2, I can play the correct demo. I drag and drop in this order: mh1725weakrckt.lmp, mayhem17_updatev1.wad, mayhem17.wad.

If I drag and drop mayhem17.wad first, the demo is desynced. If I drag and drop the selected files again without reselecting them, the demo is desynced.

This is the text in my .bat file:

S:\Doom\dsda-doom-0.25.2\dsda-doom.exe -file "S:\Doom\wads\mayhem17_updatev1.wad" -file "S:\Doom\wads\mayhem17.wad" -playdemo "S:\videos\Doom\ports, code, lmps\doom.fandom.com\temp\mh1725weakrckt.lmp"

Dragging and dropping is fine for playing demos, but I want to record demos and I don't know how to do it without .bat files or shortcuts. How do I get the update to work?

This is the demo I'm using to tell whether it's desynced or not. If it's working, the second chaingunner doesn't die to a rocket. If it doesn't work, the player dies before firing at the second chaingunner.

DW - Weird demos page 8

That didn't work. Playback works the same as in 25.2: dragging and dropping can work, but .bat files don't.

I tried putting -playdemo as the first argument in my .bat, and it still doesn't work.

6 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

The update should be loaded after the main wad.

When I put the main wad and then update in the .bat file, I get an error: 

R_TextureNumForName: MCASWIN1 not found

and nothing loads.

2 hours ago, taedev said:

This is the text in my .bat file:

S:\Doom\dsda-doom-0.25.2\dsda-doom.exe -file "S:\Doom\wads\mayhem17_updatev1.wad" -file "S:\Doom\wads\mayhem17.wad" -playdemo "S:\videos\Doom\ports, code, lmps\doom.fandom.com\temp\mh1725weakrckt.lmp"

The problem here is that you are providing the file parameter twice, which only loads one of them.

Correct formatting would be:
S:\Doom\dsda-doom-0.25.2\dsda-doom.exe -file "S:\Doom\wads\mayhem17.wad" "S:\Doom\wads\mayhem17_updatev1.wad" -playdemo "S:\videos\Doom\ports, code, lmps\doom.fandom.com\temp\mh1725weakrckt.lmp"

Use -file only once, I didn't notice that mistake.

..\dsda-doom\dsda-doom.exe -iwad ..\wads\DOOM2.WAD -file ..\wads\mayhem17.wad ..\wads\mayhem17_updatev1.wad -playdemo ..\lmp\others\mh1725weakrckt.lmp

This results in a rocket going into chaingunner, cg not dying at ~10.17 and the player dying around 15s.

On DSDA doom you could just make a 'mayhem17.wad' folder in the 'Autoload' folder, and then put the update file in there.

Thanks for the suggestions. I removed the second '-file' parameter (and put the main .wad first) and the .bat file worked.

Just make lmpwatch.cmd file in text editor with string like:

c:\games\Doom\Prboom-plus\pp.exe %1 -auto -nosound

(replace path and exe name with yours)

save it anywhere and then in properties of *.lmp files in windows explorer select this file as default program to open.

voila! all demos will be playback automatically if info about PWADs in their footer is present (and these PWADs in port folder, of course)

---

or simply associate .lmp file with dsda-doom but when you will lose ability to specify certain parameters for default demo playback.

Edited by Hitherto

1 hour ago, Hitherto said:

Just make lmpwatch.cmd file in text editor with string like:

c:\games\Doom\Prboom-plus\pp.exe %1 -auto -nosound

(replace path and exe name with yours)

save it anywhere and then in properties of *.lmp files in windows explorer select this file as default program to open.

voila! all demos will be playback automatically if info about PWADs in their footer is present (and these PWADs in port folder, of course)

---

or simply associate .lmp file with dsda-doom but when you will lose ability to specify certain parameters for default demo playback.

I'm not sure what you mean by info in footer, and I had to remove "-auto" to make it work. I removed -nosound as well.

I often double-click demos by accident, and glboom is my default. I end up with some garbage demo getting played. So thanks - that helps. It doesn't help for PWADS, but it does for IWADs.

Edited by taedev : redundant word

"Footer" is addon embedded into .lmp file which was introduced in prboom-plus long time ago. It is "invisible" for earlier engines, so backward-compatible. It contains info about port name and, most importanly, complevel and all .wad and .deh files, needed for playback. Take entire line in "" then it will work with parameters. "-auto" is for another older feature, pattern-driven, useful for many old demos without that "footer". But if you simply associate .lmp with glboom-plus.exe, it should be enough. If all needed files are in your port's folder.... But:

Strange thing happens that if some of wad files (or even all) from that "footer" is missing, engine (prboom+ 2514, dsda-doom 024.1) will play it without any warnings! It is simply wrong engine behavior, which exactly got confused you in case of that mayhem17 demo.