Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Halfblind

The Quake Confessional Booth

We already have The Doom Confession Booth, but why not a Quake Confession Booth.

Here you can confess your deepest Quake sins. I'll wash my hands first...

I don't like the Quake remaster, like I thought I would. Nothing against the maps, or the people involved in the project, but I don't like the Kex engine. There's a lot of lost momentum from the original engine and source ports like Quakespasm, that makes normal jumping a little harder to do effectively. I was also a little upset that they used a few textures from Raven Software in the Dimensions of the Machine.

I also didn't like Honey much either, but everyone has their own tastes. I did however like Rubicon 2 though. Especially metlslime maps, they were just amazing.

Edited by Halfblind

@Ludi Like the Rubicon Rumble Pack, some AD maps sure overstay their welcome. Especially when you are trying to find at least half the secrets.

Xmas Jam 2021 Grue's and Krampus's maps are especially hard even on easy.

I've never finished a single Quake game. Farthest I've gotten as long as I can remember is somewhere halfway through episode 2 of Quake 1. Also, I don't like the original Quake's music at all. In stark contrast, Quake II has one of the best soundtracks in all of gaming.

1 minute ago, spineapple tea said:

I've never finished a single Quake game.

Quake was the first game I bought for PC and the first time I was really made aware that I suffered from motion sickness. Although I came to love FPSeses in time, and learnt how to deal with motion sickness, I never actually sat down and completed Quake and its expansion packs until the remaster. Thanks, Nightdive and Machine Games!

Also: I think the Gremlin is hilarious and stealing your guns is a great mechanic that added a very welcome bit of levity to Quake's super-cereal atmosphere. Here you are, traveling through dimensions, gunning down hordes of unholy nightmares and battling gods older than time and space themselves - and then this cheeky little shit giggles over to you and nicks your nail gun. 10 on 10, those lads.

43 minutes ago, Halfblind said:

I don't like the Quake remaster, like I thought I would. Nothing against the maps, or the people involved in the project, but I don't like the Kex engine. There's a lot of lost momentum from the original engine and source ports like Quakespasm, that makes normal jumping a little harder to do effectively.

Critical problem with your statement, Kex isn't used like that. Kex is used as a replacement I/O and social management system, however the Quake part of Quake is still Quake, it's running the exact same physics as it had before. It's built directly from the original GLQuake.

- In CPMA/DeFRaG, I compensate for my poor discipline at sharp turns with W instead of properly strafe turning. This has become such a habit that I do it 80% of the time, unless I have the turn muscle-memorized.

- I actually like Quake 4 and it's DeFRaG iteration, Quake 4 run.

- I'm a dirty elitist who is extremely salty about Quake Champions and secretly wish it would've died in a fire before it was even born. Big part of that salt comes from the preconception that resources were "wasted" on QC which should've instead went to revitalizing Quake Live.

- I actually suck at DeFRaG (comparatively) and never got even in the top 100 despite attempting DFWC 2019, 2020 and 2021.

- I don't have the patience to get good with the rocket-launcher and that's why I dislike it quite a bit. Instead, I do cheap things like spam plasma or grenades to force the enemy into a predictable path to be rail-gunned. I don't think I've ever done an intentional medium/long range aerial rocket direct hit.

Quake 2 is the superior game in the franchise. I haven't played Quake the first since the beginning of the millennuim (I should get the remaster soon - if I find some free time to play games in).

Also, for the lulz - a bonus "my controversial opinion about NIN" included ; Quake OST is the only stellar release by Nine Inch Nails (barring the possibillity that he made something listenable after Year Zero, where I gave up on them for good.)

3 hours ago, Halfblind said:

There's a lot of lost momentum from the original engine and source ports like Quakespasm, that makes normal jumping a little harder to do effectively.

the disparity you're noticing isn't placebo, as others have incorrectly suggested to me. this is because it runs at 60fps rather than the safest max (and default of almost every port) of 72fps. certain things, like circle jumps/the way the mouse impacts player speed and acceleration are in fact, affected by framerate, enough to mess with muscle memory. set "cl_maxfps 60" in any other port and the physics will feel the same as kexquake (unless you get hella frame drops in kexquake like this lady).

the only time i've ever had a keyswitch go out on me was in the middle of some quake live ctf match, i've sworn to never bind jump to anything that isn't mouse2 since.

Spoiler

and this was Absolutely Probably Not Caused by me rolling cigs directly over my keyboard, Definitely Not Caused By That

i have more fun jumping around empty multiplayer maps than competing against other humans in most, if not all, quake-derived games and mods. i look at any given arrangement of brushes not unlike how a skater (board, quads or inline) would look at concrete. it's terminal.

I'm obsessed with Q1's grenade launcher. I'll often use it even when it would be more practical to use the rocket launcher because I want to master taking advantage of its higher rate of fire.

I looked up how to kill Shub Niggurath on my first playthrough of Q1.

I've never played multiplayer in the games, but I wouldn't be particularly disinterested.

I've never played Quake 3 or 4 (or Champions).

I looked up killing Shub-Niggarath because I looked up everything else in those days.

I also find the aesthetic a little boring, but I don't think that's an unpopular opinion.

I might like the Aubrey Hodges soundtrack as much if not more than NIN’s.

I like it’s shotguns, they’re a nice change of pace from Doom’s.

I’m also guilty of loving the grenade launcher too much and for the same reasons as @Midnight_00: I love it’s slightly higher rate of fire. I like the weapon balance for this game in general.

ID Software had not enough Money, as they couldn't pay all the Colors, you can clearly see that Quake is much browner than Doom 2, as they had no other Colors left.

I love the Quake 1 palette, and fan mods have shown you just need to be more creative than Id was. 

To be fair though, creativity was probably difficult with the extreme limitations of hardware back in 1996.

17 hours ago, Midnight_00 said:

I'm obsessed with Q1's grenade launcher. I'll often use it even when it would be more practical to use the rocket launcher because I want to master taking advantage of its higher rate of fire.

The sound of the grenades bouncing is also perfect and could not fit any better than it does.

Definitely agree the fire rate is very cool, and it also gives you a reason to not just exclusively use the rocket launcher once you nab one.

19 hours ago, Azuris said:

ID Software had not enough Money, as they couldn't pay all the Colors, you can clearly see that Quake is much browner than Doom 2, as they had no other Colors left.

Not much better, but blue also exists in Episode 4. If something wasn't brown, then it was blue.

I don't like the NIN soundtrack.

Even though it's originally from Copper, I like the remaster's nightmare difficulty limiting the max health to 50.

I actually never beat quake at normal difficulty (because of ep4? yes.)

otherwise I think Quake is a great game, but I think in lacks the charm Doom have.

only monster I like is the shambler, other monsters is just messy Brown polygons to me

I finished the entirety of Quake a few times - even in NM for the remaster just because I want to all the achievements but never bothered to actually finish the rest of the series.

Quake Champions is literally my first exposure of multiplayer quake before the remaster. Sunk some hours into it but kinda petered out because QC lacks people playing from within my region.

I used to absolutely hate Quake 1, couldn't stand it.

It's because I was shit at it... And playing WINQuake didn't help.

Having gotten better at Quake over time (and actually having a great port to play on now) I have come to love Quake 1 and have completely 180'd on my stance.

Quake 2 is still better though.

When I came back to PC gaming in early September, I spent more time playing Q1 than I did Classic Doom. Then I discovered Doom64 EX+, now I spend most of my gaming time playing D64 there.

At the moment I like more Quake Champions gameplay than Quake Live (only thing I would like would be customs maps and Better lobby structure to use multiple maps instead of 1 map, lobby 1 map.l, repeat.

Quake custom maps that requires back tracking without mechanic like short courts or teleports just convert in a Bunny hump map.

The people can critic the story and lore because it's feel like not really attached, even if in the end make the game better.

Darkplaces HD textures are fine.

I really wish Quake Champions came out after Eternal instead of  2016, I feel like it would have been a bit more successful. That was when the "retro shooter revival" was at its highest.

I havent finished any of the expansions. IDK why, I just never had the thought to.

I will probably never play Quake 4, I know it gets better halfway through. I dont want to play the first half of the game. 

I wish Quake Wars will get a revival. 

Edited by MemeMind

Another one here with "I don't like the music". Reznor's work for the game lacked an interesting atmosphere and feels like generic dark ambient/industrial sound effects made into an unmemorable canvas. Just because something is dark doesn't mean it's atmospheric. I feel like its popularity is automatically boosted due to Reznor's portfolio a bit as well. I hate how some people describe ambient music as nothing but noise, but Quake's soundtrack literally sounds like something I can put together in a week. Aubrey Hodge's music is more likely to be described as "noise", but it also feels much more rich and imaginative. NIN' music for Quake never really generates any tension, fear, or despair. If you play the game with the music off, the silence actually does a better job of feeling unsettling than the soundtrack.

As much as I love quake, I feel like the bestiary is definitely bullet spongey in comparison to doom's bestiary. I'd imagine that if the weapons had damage buffs (similarly to the changes seen in a mod like Ter Shibboleth) It would make killing quake's monsters a bit more fun and satisfying.

On another note, Copper is an excellent mod that improves pretty much everything in the base game white staying faithful to vanilla Quake and it's pretty much essential if I ever want to do a full playtrough of Quake again. It's pretty much what quake should have been if ID had actually bothered to put both Qol features for the game and some more useful modding features for the community to play around with.

7 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Another one here with "I don't like the music". Reznor's work for the game lacked an interesting atmosphere and feels like generic dark ambient/industrial sound effects made into an unmemorable canvas. Just because something is dark doesn't mean it's atmospheric. I feel like its popularity is automatically boosted due to Reznor's portfolio a bit as well. I hate how some people describe ambient music as nothing but noise, but Quake's soundtrack literally sounds like something I can put together in a week. Aubrey Hodge's music is more likely to be described as "noise", but it also feels much more rich and imaginative. NIN' music for Quake never really generates any tension, fear, or despair. If you play the game with the music off, the silence actually does a better job of feeling unsettling than the soundtrack.

As a fan of the classic NIN trilogy (PHM, TDS, TF), I kinda have to agree. Aubrey Hodges killed it as always though.

18 hours ago, Ludi said:

As a fan of the classic NIN trilogy (PHM, TDS, TF), I kinda have to agree. Aubrey Hodges killed it as always though.

I actually like NIN too, and industrial in general. Reznor has made plenty of ambient-ish tracks over the years that are much better than his Quake OST, and some of those tracks would actually work well in Quake. I don't hate the Quake soundtrack, I'm just indifferent about it. To me, it adds very little to the game. A lot of people, years ago, pirated Quake and had no music. They actually thought it had no soundtrack and thought nothing of it, because Quake works just as well without it.

I never really figured out a good strategy for dealing with Vores, and they tend to end a level run for me more consistently than Shamblers.

I'm still mad the dragon from that pre-release screenshot never showed up.

Also I'm positive I played through both of the OG expansion packs through their entirety on nightmare years ago, but I don't remember them at all and it seems like I should.

Right now: This feels less like Quake's equivalent to The Doom Confessional Booth and more like Quake's equivalent to the Unpopular Doom Opinions thread (which I guess are both somewhat analogous themselves at this point)

But I'll still give it a go: I bought Quake Remastered twice late last year: Once on GOG before it got updated to actually have the remaster, and because I had a Doom sparring-partner who wanted to try out Quake's deathmatching, I bought it again on steam and went thru the whole rigamarole of setting up a bethesdanet account (father forgive me) only to play with him for around 20 minutes before he concluded that Quake sucked and just went back to Doom...

they were both on holiday sale tho, so 2 for the price of 1 I guess?

11 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

They actually thought it had no soundtrack and thought nothing of it, because Quake works just as well without it.

Do you really need anything but zombie moans, zombie nyoms, shotgun pumps and the pomf clang clang of 'nades?