Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[name_withheld]

Issue with Stacked Portal

I am creating a map in UDMF format and attempting to stack two different parts of the map on each other with the 'sector set portal' method. The portal works great and allows me to see and travel through it. However, in the lower section of the map, the monsters do not seem to be able to cross the lines that encompass the portal area. They previously were able to, but now, for whatever reason, just get stuck and just kinda walk in circles.

327864926_1246754532918638_7332665696694906353_n.jpg

327777893_503907515212745_4290383025392879403_n.jpg

Edited by [name_withheld]

I'm no expert, but the monster's AI just views that as a wall, doom's AI isn't trained with the ability to see portals, so, they don't know they are there. In other words, this only works in the player's instance.

That's weird, because they were previously able to cross these lines. At some point during editing other parts of the map, they lost the ability.

If I move the lines above the highlighted ones at the top of the first picture down and merge them with the highlighted lines, it allows the monsters to enter the area the portal is in. These lines, however, are controlling slopes leading up to the portal (which never caused an issue before, either, as far as the monsters are concerned.) I've added images to explain what I'm talking about specifically.

327996063_551999420195384_1017429228488622728_n.jpg

327913423_585792616719403_3602778005353228415_n.jpg

Have you ever heard about the Prinscreen key on keyboard? Probably not. Let me introduce you to wonderful world of screenshots. Press the printscreen, open any graphic editor and press ctlv+v. Wow! In't it wonderful? Now you know how to make screenshots, instead of using your phone to capture the screen.

Also, if you want help with your project, post your file. Don't expect others to troubleshoot phone captures.

2 hours ago, ramon.dexter said:

Have you ever heard about the Prinscreen key on keyboard? Probably not. Let me introduce you to wonderful world of screenshots. Press the printscreen, open any graphic editor and press ctlv+v. Wow! In't it wonderful? Now you know how to make screenshots, instead of using your phone to capture the screen.

Also, if you want help with your project, post your file. Don't expect others to troubleshoot phone captures.

I am already pretty aware of how to take screenshots, thank you. Looking at my post history would show you that, but you obviously didn't do that. Thanks for being a jerk, though, instead of offering any kind of helpful suggestion. 😀

At any rate, I got it figured out. Sloped sectors in the upper area were disrupting the border lines of portal in the bottom area.

Please, could you tell me how should I figure out a sloped sector from the distorted photos?

Maybe you should forget asertivity and be a little bit helpful, when you actually request help from others.

And no, I have not searched through your post history.

You wouldn't have figured that out from screenshots, either. Mostly because I hadn't yet provided pics of what was actually causing the issue. Go ahead and die on that hill, though. 🤷

The help I was asking for was generalized, and I was able to get it elsewhere from someone who wasn't intent on just being an asshole.

Typically, my attitude is much more pleasant when I post here, as I'm not immediately attacked when posting a thread.

Nonsense aside, for anyone using stacked sectors (using sidedef effect 57 - sector set portal,) and running into an issue where the top and/or bottom start restricting the movement of monsters in your map, this *may* be the possible issue and solution.

As seen in image 1, illustrated with red highlights, two sections of the map or connected via a vertical portal. The "bottom" area of the map, for some reason, began restricting the movement of the monsters outside of a particular sector (highlighted in image 2 with pink.) This sector was the portal for the two areas, and since it's borders weren't allowing monsters to pass, they were either trapped in the room with the wire and black/yellow warning stripes or in either hallway.

The culprit ended up being the sectors highlighted in green in image 3. These sectors were each sloped into and directly touching the portal as indicated in image 4. Apparently, this tricks the engine into thinking the borders of the portal on the bottom half of the map are impassable lines. The monsters can see you, can try like hell to get to you, but will never manage to do so unless they can make it through a gap somewhere.

What I ended up doing was creating 3D floors to recreate the slopes (not visible in image 5, but what is visible is where I ended up having the floor to allow the 3D floor to sit.)

I imagine this bug works the same if you have slopes leading up into a portal the same as they managed to going down, but I wasn't curious enough to test it.

00000001.png

00000002.png

00000003.png

00000004.png

00000005.png