Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stealthy Ivan

A Computer/Doom Question??

Who here play's doom on a old school computer (like 600mhz or less), and who here play's on there new up to date computer?

Personally, I do both since I run a little network so me and my friend can have lan parties with ease...! The oldest machine is a P2 400 mhz, the newest machine is a 1.8gig P4...

Used to be a 400 mhz box, but then that stopped working. So I switched to an old 486 66 mhz, 'till that stopped working (it was like 10 years old), So now I have a 2.4 ghz machine.

My Doom box is a PIII 450 running Win98se and 224 mb of pc100. I built it in '99.

Stealthy Ivan said:

Who here play's doom on a old school computer (like 600mhz or less), and who here play's on there new up to date computer?

Personally, I do both since I run a little network so me and my friend can have lan parties with ease...! The oldest machine is a P2 400 mhz, the newest machine is a 1.8gig P4...

Uhh... since when was 600mhz considered oldsk00l?

Heh, yeah, "old school" on a DOOM related site is a 486 or so.

deathz0r said:

Yeah, to me, Pentium and below is oldskool.

deathz0r said:

so true...
You can't call it old-school, if you did't beat doom on a 386/486 computer

i use my P4 2.x MHz with GeForce 4 MX :( running Win Xp :( :(

but im gonna put Win 98 on it too and have both OSs.. i was talking to my mom about how i wanted Win 98, with real DOS and she said theres a site that sells bare bone PCs for like $100 with PII and 98 on them, no GFX card and shit... but i'd rather have 1 PC with 2 OSs, cos i have no space and plugging and unplgging the PCs is more of a pain then rebooting, also my Xp (where i use the net and download) can see my 98 drive, so i can save new wads there, and even play the ports like always in Xp from there too :)

but GOD i loved my old old 486 that i 1st played Doom, Duke3D, Blood, MechWarrior 2 and so on.. umm, on

Pfft, I beat Doom and Doom2 on a 486 with only PC sound.

same, only with a soundblaster

I still have that 486; it doesn't have many programs installed on it, except for doom stuff...

Pfft, I beat Doom and Doom2 on a 486 with only PC sound.

I beat them on a 386 sx 25 with screen size 3 and PC speaker sounds. Many custom wads were beaten also...

To me, running vanilla DooM on any old PC (that loads and runs slower with the ports) counts as old skool. (like my P200, only I don't use that much these days)

deathz0r said:

Umm.... I started with a 386, playing frogger and comander keen..
I no what old school is dude!

I play on my l33t 900Mhz hotbox most of the time (mostly JDoom), but sometimes I like to crank up the old 100Mhz Win98 machine and have a round of Doom.exe.

I still have my old 486/100 DX with 16 mb that i use for doom and serial network it for one on one deathmatches. Works fine

david_a said:

I initially played it on a 486 SX 25MHz, 4MB RAM. You get some killer frame rates out of that...

I as well began on a 486 SX 25 with 4MB RAM. The old 2x CD-ROM drive used cases too. It was a Packard Bell aka piece of crap.

Now I slaughter and maim on a P3 733, 128 MB RAM with ZDoom.

That was a real powerhouse compared to my Timex/Sinclair 1000. It had a membrane keyboard, and a whopping 3k ram, some of which was used for the display!

used to play on a 486 dx 50 Mhz with 4 MB RAM (had to use a boot-disk to play doom). Upgraded quite shortly to 20 MB RAM.

600MHz is "old school"? Doom was already years out of date by the time 600MHz machines came out..

2ghz 516mb ram geforce 2 + zdoomgl = many hours bliss.

To tell the truth i can only play doom with a port (zdoom, legacy, jdoom etc). Whenever i try the doom95 launcher i keep getting the monitor error vga mode not supported.

fraggle said:

600MHz is "old school"? Doom was already years out of date by the time 600MHz machines came out..

Uhh... Duh no kiddin.
you think I did not know that?
600MHz is old for today!!!

I always Doom on my PIII 450 with 64 megs RAM. Yes it does need a major update.

DooMBoy said:

I always Doom on my PIII 450 with 64 megs RAM. Yes it does need a major update.

Heh, so do I:

AMD K6-2 475Mhz
256Mb ram
Geforce2 64mb
PAS 16 soundcard (8 years old)
6Gig HDD

Sad, isn't it?