Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LordEntr0py

[BOOM] Parallelism - 3 Small Maps

I don't know if it's my own problem but

1131721724_Screenshot2023-01-31065755.png.cc798652edfd090516eb117cf1dcf73f.png915932913_Screenshot2023-01-31065815.png.333958b34cf00fd44a05fc1804be047b.png

it seems to not run on my Boom ports

GZDoom work tho

17 minutes ago, fai1025 said:

I don't know if it's my own problem but

1131721724_Screenshot2023-01-31065755.png.cc798652edfd090516eb117cf1dcf73f.png915932913_Screenshot2023-01-31065815.png.333958b34cf00fd44a05fc1804be047b.png

it seems to not run on my Boom ports

GZDoom work tho

D'oh! Gonna have to remove these from ANIMATED lump. Thank you.

EDIT: now fixed. It runs for me on PrBoom and dsda-doom

11 minutes ago, LordEntr0py said:

EDIT: now fixed. It runs for me on PrBoom and dsda-doom 

dsda still crashed for me because titlepic is a PNG. Also mapinfo is not a thing there, here's a basic umapinfo for proper music/sky/name:

Spoiler

MAP MAP01 
{
	levelname = "Calcite"
	sky = "SKY1"
	next = "MAP02"
	music = "D_AIR"
}

MAP MAP02 
{
	levelname = "Alternation"
	sky = "SKY1"
	next = "MAP03"
	nextsecret = "MAP03"
	music = "D_CMPLSN"
}

MAP MAP03 
{
	levelname = "Iteration"
	sky = "SKY1"
	music = "D_JBRUTL"
	endcast = true
}

6 minutes ago, Doomy__Doom said:

dsda still crashed for me because titlepic is a PNG. Also mapinfo is not a thing there, here's a basic umapinfo for proper music/sky/name:

Hide contents

MAP MAP01 
{
	levelname = "Calcite"
	sky = "SKY1"
	next = "MAP02"
	music = "D_AIR"
}

MAP MAP02 
{
	levelname = "Alternation"
	sky = "SKY1"
	next = "MAP03"
	nextsecret = "MAP03"
	music = "D_CMPLSN"
}

MAP MAP03 
{
	levelname = "Iteration"
	sky = "SKY1"
	music = "D_JBRUTL"
	endcast = true
}

Thank you! Really appreciate your help. Now fixed for dsda-doom.

Thanks for sharing your maps.

Here's my playing of the first two (with Brutal Doom Platinum -- I know you didn't balance them for it, but it's all I play now, so I take full responsibility for the balance of the monsters that is probably off from what you wanted in some rooms).

I really like the look of the maps.

I've tried #3 twice but died each time. With Brutal Doom Platinium + UV + Tactical, it's certainly not easy for my skill level, especially when there's a trap with lots of fairly powerful monsters in a small enclosed space. It only takes a couple of hits to die with BDP.

I'll give it another try and if I get it, I'll upload the video here.

Played the first map, pretty enjoyable, even if pistolling everything not my cup of tea.

Behold, softlock hazard. I fell in and can't get out.

doom197.png

Amazing little mapset! The architecture looks gorgeous and I liked a lot the concept of parallel dimensions with increasing complexity, very neatly executed. Also appreciate the fact that ammo is tight and you're only given lesser weapons. No issues found apart from a a small HOM in the rocket launcher secret of map02.

Great job, I'll definitely like to see more of this :)

Here's my FDA (it's uploading) with some sporadic commentary

I was going to say short but sweet. I was also gunna say soft lock at the beginning under blue key piller next to first step up. I dun got beaten to both. I really liked these. Prisisly because of the limited weapons and ammo. Guess i got beaten to saying that too. Thanks for making these.

+1 to making more maps, especially if most of them remain this small and with this low of a monster count. I'd enjoy a megawad of them -- but you can always cut it off wherever makes sense, no need to force yourself to make 32.

3 hours ago, Fernito said:

Amazing little mapset! The architecture looks gorgeous and I liked a lot the concept of parallel dimensions with increasing complexity, very neatly executed. Also appreciate the fact that ammo is tight and you're only given lesser weapons. No issues found apart from a a small HOM in the rocket launcher secret of map02.

Great job, I'll definitely like to see more of this :)

Here's my FDA (it's uploading) with some sporadic commentary

Thanks for the kind words and feedback. Enjoyed your playthrough immensely!

Good job on finding the Megaarmor secret in MAP03. Ammo was slightly tighter for you than I intended, so I'll add some more early in that map.

And you found the Soul Sphere secret in MAP02 an unintended way. I'm going to have to prevent that jump at the end...

21 hours ago, LordEntr0py said:

Thanks for the kind words and feedback. Enjoyed your playthrough immensely!

Good job on finding the Megaarmor secret in MAP03. Ammo was slightly tighter for you than I intended, so I'll add some more early in that map.

And you found the Soul Sphere secret in MAP02 an unintended way. I'm going to have to prevent that jump at the end...

I see! I was actually wondering if that was the intended way of getting the soulsphere. I guess I'll have to come back and find out how to get it properly :)

These maps were absolutely great! Nice to see you back and surprised to see you make some short Adventures hehe 

@Portponky there's a secret in here you might appreciate 

Pretty good set of levels. Game play, texturing, music, all good. I did notice you have a missing texture in the rocket launcher secret area on level 2.

Great set of maps, short and sweet but with considered use of space and monster usage that became quite spicy at times. I've recorded a UV playthrough w/ commentary:

Its been ages since I did that so I wasn't playing super well (bunch of silly deaths in MAP03), but I had a fun time with this WAD and I'd like to see more in this style!

Finally got around finishing the last map. Nothing really to complain about, all look good and navigable. You make me fight heavier monsters with big guns for longer than I would be comfortable with, but it's not like it's invalid design.

Nice tasty maps!

I'm 100% sure I've played the first one in some CP not so long ago, maybe few months back, which is a good sign it's quite memorable!

PS:

Found a small texture glitch in the last map:

https://imgur.com/a/MvlI6GI

Awesome small maps! 

I really liked idea of parallel dimensions. I hope to see wad of 12-15 similar maps. Nice MIDIs.

However, I found the maps to be a bit dark, especially map 01 and map 03.

Pretty fun, great use of small monster counts. My one nitpick is that the maps feel a bit samey so if you do add more, some diversity could be nice.

1 hour ago, lunchlunch said:

Pretty fun, great use of small monster counts. My one nitpick is that the maps feel a bit samey so if you do add more, some diversity could be nice.

Thank you!

This was partly why I decided to post these now. Part of the current theme is to take over or two areas from the previous map to reuse and alter slightly for the next. After three maps, I was concerned that this might lead to then feeling samey. Something to think about!

Played it now on GZDoom 4.10 on UV Pistol-Start.

Very nice and polished mapping to the smallest detail. Completed with great pleasure.
I liked the setting of the mountain base with the constant drops in altitude.

Attached screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20230212_164636.png.6c0cd5bd4f10363067f2f91ff9b4e239.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230212_164625.png.22ced5aa1ddcb6e7695ccdbce85c8710.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230212_164245.png.12a6cc97e2a158a8e46a61cff7f9e0ad.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230212_164049.png.08bd54430397b3939810bc6e8aca85cb.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230212_163906.png.9472500cb41517d7e2144d91da09627a.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230212_163813.png.53a58a20379c60261ccb386c97ecac3f.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230212_163606.png.9231a6f058db2b48ab1dd93dbb9ce264.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230212_163228.png.c934add43c5fcd3d316c9c5824a77e36.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230212_163210.png.bb5dbe89c597b51f448dd6f180b9e1b4.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230212_163148.png.62d9b9adcd8510f27bbe64a9f5ffd09f.png

6 hours ago, LordEntr0py said:

This was partly why I decided to post these now. Part of the current theme is to take over or two areas from the previous map to reuse and alter slightly for the next. After three maps, I was concerned that this might lead to then feeling samey. Something to think about!

I thought the subtle shift was a pretty neat effect, honestly. The maps are short enough that it's hard for any element, gameplay or visual, to feel tedious. Switching texture themes every 3-5 maps might not be a bad idea, though -- it could be fun to mess around with the same chunks of architecture in completely different settings (e.g., what does this jungle techbase building look like if it's in snowy mountains or far-future space station or hell instead?).

Edited by Not Jabba

Cool maps! The particular take of techbase here where it's built into caves and cliff faces is well executed! I didn't read the lore before jumping in but I did like how each map started and ended in the same identical area. Lots of nice background work, great lighting, and good attention to detail.

Difficulty felt pretty good on UV. I appreciated the focus on shotgun and chaingun which combined with tight resources made for some dicey encounters. Armor was a luxury and I spent a lot of my first play-through below 50% health.

My one big complaint is that the rocket launcher given to you in MAP03 at the end feels too late. I didn't notice the closet revealing the rocket launcher opening up until I beat the archvile and other monsters, and by then everything was dead and I didn't get to fire any rockets. Having the rocket launcher given out in the open before you hit the switch for the blue key would be nice. (Possibly having it out in the open in that room, visible on the other side of the wall? So that when you see the area earlier you can spot the rocket launcher and anticipate it!) If you want to keep it in the closet, what you could do instead is teleport a bunch of zombiemen and imps at the very very end so you get to gib something as a reward.

1 hour ago, segfault said:

My one big complaint is that the rocket launcher given to you in MAP03 at the end feels too late. I didn't notice the closet revealing the rocket launcher opening up until I beat the archvile and other monsters, and by then everything was dead and I didn't get to fire any rockets. Having the rocket launcher given out in the open before you hit the switch for the blue key would be nice. (Possibly having it out in the open in that room, visible on the other side of the wall? So that when you see the area earlier you can spot the rocket launcher and anticipate it!) If you want to keep it in the closet, what you could do instead is teleport a bunch of zombiemen and imps at the very very end so you get to gib something as a reward.

That's a bloody good point. I have seen a few people miss that Rocket Launcher during the final fight, and it's quite understandable given the pressure.

Can definitely improve on that. Thanks!