Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
leejacksonaudio

If I ever get healthy...a convention question

Well, I live in South Dakota, so I don't know if it's quite your cup of tea. But if you ever felt like showing up at the Black Hills Stock Show, or the Black Hills Gun Show, I'd definitely show up to shake your hand.

I may or may not be going to a convention. But it's a certain kind of convention I'd rather not state out of mild irrational embarrassment.
Anyways, yeah, I would. Why wouldn't I? Come on man, you're a legend.

I would be interested for sure. There’s a lot of cons on the east coast so it’s hard to suggest one specifically. One that is local to me would be Tidewater Comicon in Virginia Beach so if I’m going to suggest one it would have to be that one. 

I've never been to any convention, what with all of them being too far away, usually behind an ocean and several time zones.

But I certainly wish you'd regain enough health to be able to go to a convention, even if I wouldn't be able to attend it.

I'm sorry you're going through so much, this has just been awful. I hope you'll be doing better soon. It would be fantastic to see you at something like QuakeCon, which has had a good number of Doom community attendees in the past.

Yeah a Quakecon meet and greet would be awesome. I would definitely make an effort to go to that. I know there's been some community meet ups in the past. I've never been but would definitely go.

40 minutes ago, Gez said:

I've never been to any convention, what with all of them being too far away, usually behind an ocean and several time zones.

Same for me. 

I have never gone to a convention and don't really intend to; that being said, if I went to one and you were there I would definitely seek you out. Meeting you interests me much than anything else at a convention haha!

16 hours ago, leejacksonaudio said:

If I were to get healthy and show up as a guest at a convention, would you go out of your way to come and see me? Be brutally honest. 

Yeah, why not? I wan't to know a lot of obscure EMIDI facts by the man itself in person.

16 hours ago, leejacksonaudio said:

If yes, which convention should I try to get invited to so I can make my appearance there?

Well, the probability that you will make a appareance in a convention that I will go is almost a miracle, not only for healhy reasons, but also because I'm living in Venezuela. :P

But, have you at the QuakeCon or even a 3DRealmsCon (if they ever make one) will be great. heh

19 hours ago, leejacksonaudio said:

Uff, from those Conventions i have been i would say no, as they are just big Markets where People wear Costumes and you can buy the Stuff you see in your local "Geek" Store or online for 20% more :>

But i guess if it is a more Fan based Convention and if it wouldn't be a whole Ocean inbetween, it could be a yes.

Put a Stand with signed physical Albums on there and a Bar where People can have a Drink or two with ya :P

If the convention would take place anywhere in Europe, I'd be first one standing in the line, but I guess that's not likely to happen :(

That being said, I've never really been to any convention, but if I had to pick one, it would definitely be QuakeCon. Knowing you'd be there, I wouldn't have to think about it twice, I'd just go ahead and buy the plane ticket :)

Big negative from me, chief, only because I'm not down with Large Groups of Humans. And live in Japan.

But are New Blood doing anything in meatspace for their ROTT remaster? They couldn't not have you along if they do.

The answer is yes I would, but I'm in the UK so as others have said that's probably a no-go.

More importantly, if it's something you want to do, just do it anyway. One of the important things in the process of getting better (and you will get better) is having things to look forward to and work towards - sounds like you're already thinking this way. I agree Quakecon is a natural fit too, I think there's almost certainly going to be fans of yours there, even if they don't already know it, if they're of a certain age they will soon realise it once a few tracks are played!

I'm part of the "lives very far away from any place where appropriate conventions exists" gang, but at least it's great to hear how international your fanbase is (myself included). Hope you get well.

I would genuinely go to a convention with you in it. Sadly, I'm in Australia, and that's probably a little far for either you or any real convention for that matter.

Thanks to all of you for your kind words and suggestions. Let's take it a step further. If I wanted to get into, say, Quakecon, where would I start? I assume I wouldn't simply call up the owners of the event and say, "Hi! I'd like to be a featured guest at Quakecon, please."

1 hour ago, leejacksonaudio said:

Thanks to all of you for your kind words and suggestions. Let's take it a step further. If I wanted to get into, say, Quakecon, where would I start? I assume I wouldn't simply call up the owners of the event and say, "Hi! I'd like to be a featured guest at Quakecon, please."

As Quakecon is more specialized and "closed" Convention, i would guess it is a bit harder to get in Contact with a Person within ID that can handle that.

As here in Doomworld are Persons that are contracted by ID to make Conversions of their Games, maybe they could help out with a Contact.

The Page of Quakecon doesn't seem to have such "contact".

The Email Adresses on IDs Website seem to be the generic ones, you can try them.

Or search the Web a bit, if you find another direct Adress to someone from the Marketing Department or similiar.

Another Way would be to spam Social Media Channels to make them Aware.

Wider Convention not based on a single Company can be easier to accsess.

From Gamescom to Comicon Alikes.

Btw. Many have Afterparties, you could compose some fancy Track for them haha.

If i think about it, if Quakecon takes you, why not make a official Hymn for it?

Most of the Techno Festivals have a hymn per Year.

Edit:

People could "spam" social Media with:

"We want Lee Jackson to make the Quakecon Hymn!"

#Leejacksonsquakeconhymn

(is this made right? I am 34 and too old for social media XP)

15 hours ago, leejacksonaudio said:

Probably your best bet for getting into Quakecon would be to aim for getting into one of the smaller speaking panels they generally hold in the days following the main keynote. I know that in recent Quakecons I've attended (2018, 2019---actually the last non-virtual Quakecons they held pre-Covid), they did have a number of lesser-known names featured in a couple of the speaking panels. How you end up being invited (aside from being an employee under the Bethesda/Zenimax umbrella) I'm not so sure, though some form of the social media approach @Azuris suggested strikes me as a decent start to at least get the idea out into the general aether.

In any case, I'd happily go to see you if you were at Quakecon.